Yearning For Love

When you’re my age, love turns up differently, like it had its face done.  Where before it was about eyes and long, lanky legs, now it’s language and a sense of humor.

Who knew?  Certainly not frisky me who approached everything like a lioness in heat.

Did you know a lioness, while her lion of a husband is home watching the game, is the one who hunts dragging home her kill feeding the whole family?  I really relate to this since, with the exception of the hunt part, is very Italian.  Hyena Parmesan?  Zebra over rice with a side of greens…more coffee dear?

Too often I’m told I need a man, and maybe I do, but it’s not so easy finding one who meets my needs.  A fella I knew when I was 20 recently surfaced making me remember how sweet and tender true affection can be, like unearthing a treasure.  He of course has been married forever, but made me reflect on what it’s like being truly in love thinking it will last forever.

Nothing trumps it…NOTHING.

And sadly, nothing lasts forever either.

There was someone briefly who held my attention, also in a long term relationship, frayed at its edges as if it were washed one too many times…more about real estate and money then anything else…something that makes me sad.

If I’ve learned anything in all my years…life is short, and if you stay with someone because of dollars and a two-car garage, you’re foolish, because any second could be your last.

How do I know this?  Two words…BILL HICKS.

He was 32 when God requested his eternal presence whispering to me since…Susannah, how important is this?  Trust me, it means nothing…chicken shit in the long run.

Through pain and sorrow I’ve really gotten this.  Have you?

I leave you with that question as you sort through the minutia of your day.

How important is it?

This entry was posted in comedy, Health, Home, Love, sex, Women and men and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Yearning For Love

I woke up with the Beatles on my tongue:

2. I have a photo of Paul and Linda from 1971 framed on my wall.

3. Well, I suppose your right, Susannah. But if, by chance, Ms. Connecticut could possibly verify that that Tiara you and I were recently talking about is truly valuable…well…well… well being truly in love with the right guy—even if its not forever—I say that’s the way to go! However, I should state that in my case that might prove slightly awkward as I am married to my wife—who as it just so happens is not a guy. But, being as I’m in love with her, I’ll overlook that part. But you shouldn’t, I mean, you shouldn’t overlook finding Mr. Right—even if he is a guy—because you deserve a Mr. Right, love. :O)

My Pookie Pie and I have been through lean times and the good. Love has always let us be happy, even when we lived in a slum apartment. Although I am glad to say we’re at the other end of the spectrum now. Money can not buy happiness or love. You’re absolutely right that love is the most important criteria in a relationship.

So true Susannah. If the whole world had hindsight it would be great because sometimes when you realize this it’s just too late. You are a smart woman! ~Elle

6. Lynn says:

I wholeheartedly believe in love. I do believe however, there is much confusion around the definition of what love is, particularly when it pertains to a couple. Love is not always hearts & flowers, romance & smiles. We are inundated with messages, suggesting what defines true love, when the reality is sometimes it is hanging on for dear life or desperately seeking a way to resolve life’s most complicated issues. It is about finding balance in each other, some days it may be 50/50, others it could be 90/10! At the end of the day, mutual respect for one another & a desire to grow from those moments that make you stronger, to me, are the sign of true love. After 33 years of marriage, I can attest to many, many beautiful uplifting “love” moments but I can also tell you the growth from those not so perfect times, are just as rewarding! Never give up on it Susannah!

• I didn’t say love was all hearts and flowers. I do know quite a few couples who are so unhappy and borderline cruel to one another. My point was life is precious, too precious to stay in something for all the wrong reasons. My parents stayed married and it was.the biggest mistake they made, so we did it for the kids in my case was in error. A girl I know hates her husband who’s a lawyer and after being married longer than you, she stays afraid of losing her co-op. I’ve had so much loss Lynn, I disagree. Sorry.

7. Vasca says:

I believe…I do believe.

It’s been a looong time since there was romantic love in my life and I’m ok with it as long as there is love.

9. Over the past few months the ole “life is short” line has unfortunately been in my face. Loosing old friends suddenly. Watching a wonderful neighbor fighting for whatever he has left of his life; and listening to a patient say her goodbyes knowing she wouldn’t be making it to her next appointment. Love comes in all shapes and sizes, sometimes it even has a tail and I believe in Amore!

• You Italian you…I know life is short and people get it much too late. That post got smacked too as if I was pissing on marriage. I’m a big proponent of it, providing it’s healthy and too many aren’t. They’re built on property, no pun intended, not affection and Amore.