Being Prolific

images I’m often called prolific, but unbeknownst to me, it doesn’t necessarily mean you’re a good writer, just a constant one churning out what, very well, could be considered crap on a daily basis.

Prolific
1 (of a plant, animal, or person) producing much fruit or foliage or many offspring : in captivity, tigers are prolific breeders.
• (of an artist, author, or composer) producing many works : he was a prolific composer of operas.  Taken right from Websters.

I often wonder how much fruit I’m producing.  Lately I’ve only been manning my blog five days a week, which isn’t nothing since I treat it like a job, but I haven’t been working on anything to sell because I’m too exhausted from what’s on my plate at the moment.  Every day problems, unless you’re Hemingway, who apparently would write even if the house was on fire, can immobilize you.

That said.  I scribble constantly remembering what a successful screenwriter once told me.  Anything you write, even if it languishes in a drawer, is an annuity since it takes you to the next creative plateau.

In other words, if you didn’t write that short story no one wanted to publish, you might not have had that article in Esquire they couldn’t wait to run.  It’s like swimming laps.  The more you do, the stronger a swimmer you become.

So I guess being called prolific could be looked at as a good thing.  I’m no Anne Lamott, but do write everyday even with tears streaming down my face.  Although on occasion my blog is made fun of as such a waste of my time, I still consider it a grace to have a place to go to with my thoughts and feelings.

Bloggers in general carry profound prolificacy.

Who knew we were so fertile, abundant, bountiful and rich.  Profuse, productive, imaginative and lush, even if quite often, unaware of it.

I was, until someone said, Wow Susannah, you are so fucking prolific, and I said, thanks, before looking up what it meant.   images-1

This entry was posted in Books, words, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Being Prolific

All the years I’ve been reading your blog, I can’t think of one occasion when there wasn’t something of merit. Generally, the whole piece is good; but even when you have a rare “off day”, there’s something: a quip, a metaphor, a phrase, that’s makes me glad I stopped by. Long may you profligate! 😉

Liked by 3 people

2. Writing daily is still a great exercise. And how could you not get better by doing it? You write five days a week and you still stay to that schedule. I struggle to come up with ideas to write about everyday, so I don’t. I admire the fact that you find something to write about daily. What gnaws at me is the idea that I have nothing to write about daily, and definitely nothing worth selling! At least you have something to offer about daily life. On the plus side, our blogs are our outlets for writing, and at least others find them worth reading. That’s not too bad, Susannah. :O)

It’s easier to edit and tweak than to do the actual writing. And it’s easier to criticize someone else’s work than to write yourself. Putting your or someone else’s work down must soothe Mr or Mrs X’s inability to write prolifically, and being critical does not mean X is a better writer!

4. joanneolson says:

Again, I feel compelled to respond, (even though I am working on a more private address.) Currently I am reading David McCullough’s “Brave Companions”, in which he states in his introduction:: “Mainly writing means a great deal of hard thinking. The struggle of getting words on paper results in unexpected discoveries or clarifications.” As an executive leader I have always required staff to express ideas in writing before verbal presentation.

Susannah, thank you for your hard and tremendously interesting,entertaining, and yes – prolific thinking and writing.

• Brave Companions is one of my favorite collection of essays. The Builders and the other one about the Brooklyn Bridge when they find all the original drawings. Thank you for what you wrote. Appreciate it J.

5. joanneolson says:

Postscript: Let me add – profound thinking/writing!

Exhausted by what’s on our plates says it all Susannah. I admire you for having a post 5 days a week and sticking to that schedule – something I can’t seem to find time for lately. And yes, you always have something worthwhile to offer. ~Elle

7. Your writing eggs are fertile. That’s a good thing.

8. Here’s to being prolific! Cheers and Huzzah!

I admire your resolve to write five days a week and actually do it. Not so good at that myself.

10. I miss writing sooooooooo much, perhaps this was a sign to get my ass back in gear.