I’ve Still Got It…Kinda

My sex appeal has been down a quart.  Trying feverishly to stay in my truth, I don’t wish to deny this.  Hey, when you make skid marks into your 6th decade, you need to be honest with yourself.  You’re not hot and 30 anymore.  You’re a thin girl on a stick…a frozen hamburger patty languishing in the freezer.  You still look good, better than most, but the reality is, you’re old, a fact to embrace rather than fight.

I have a friend who refuses to relinquish her reign watching her flirt from one man to another, and no, it’s not Camille who’s in a class all her own.  This is more of a long term acquaintance whose cleavage tries my patience.

Part of me is envious, though loosely, not having her nerve.  The other embarrassment she just doesn’t see is that a 35 year-old will usurp her every time.  She arrives with boobs front and center.  A forehead so filled with Botox it no longer moves.  It’s like talking to a plate. Where I opt for flats she’s staggering in heels like an arthritic deer.  I ask myself, what’s the better path to take?  The Joan Collins, my vagina is as ready as any school girl’s heading the assembly line, or I’m enveloped in grace like all women who proudly have made it this far?

I have three friends not including Hicks who didn’t.  It makes me take perpetual pause as I rub lotion into my tired limbs.

When someone says, hey…you’re really great looking without that shot of botulism that makes you look like you were frozen in time, I think…yes…what you’re seeing is real…the proof I’m still standing without synthetic enhancement.  Those lines that make me resemble Idaho were earned, so rather than hide them, I’m thinking of hanging track lights so you can see them better.

If you still want me after that, I’m yours…but don’t expect me to pretend I’m anything but I am.

And for that, let’s give the little lady a great big round of applause.

A woman with very short hair photographed outdoors in the city.

A woman with very short hair photographed outdoors in the city.

This entry was posted in Beauty, Fashion, friendship, Health, humor, New York City, women and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to I’ve Still Got It…Kinda

Susannah, natural beauty wins out over pumped up every time.
    I love, love, love a stylish pair of tall heels. But yesterday I bought my first pair of almost flat shoes to wear while substitute teaching. I think this is the one and only time I’ve gone for comfort over style.
    And you’re right about age. I recall that while in my teens and twenties, I thought of anyone over 50 as old. There were various degrees of old and various degrees of aging well, but in my young mind old was old. That way of thinking was fine then, but stinks now!

2. gmg says:

Love it!! Stay strong, proud, and beautiful as you are!!

3. You can hold your own. We trade off youthful looks with earned experience and knowledge. Much, much better. If we are lucky the insecurities of the young have long since fallen away and we are comfortable with who we are. You are one beautiful lady!

4. Lynn says:

We were not meant to look 30 all of our life. I too, find myself cringing every now & again when my skin suddenly appears to be that of my mother. Having said that, I find woman who embrace their age way more beautiful than one who pumps themself full of crap to look younger. You are beautiful Susannah, inside & out!

• Hello Madam…not surprised you weighed in. Yeah, believe me, I’m as vain as they come, but plastic surgery scares the hell out of me. There’s a woman around the corner with so much of something shot into her lips, she looks as if she was caught in a beehive. Then there’s the cavalry of identical women parading up and down the avenue. Think of Diana Ross and Michael Jackson when they started to look the same. OOH…just got a chill.

There’s a relief in just accepting how you look taking care of yourself in the process.

• Right on, I don’t want to look like an over-inflated balloon about to pop! My friend can’t even smile!

5. Beautiful! Love this, have missed reading your words, which give me pause. I smile, I cry, and I cheer your words. Aging is a gift that some are not given. You look wonderful, think of you often and hopefully will once more get on track with my blog. ❤

6. I love this blog. We of a certain age need to stand together, shoulder to shoulder.

7. Alva Chinn says:

What I find is that you inevitably make me smile at your observations of others as well as of yourself. There’s something truly wonderful about being both observant and wry!

Such an honest essay Susannah. The older I get the more I vie for comfort over stylish. Oh yes, I believe you can have comfort and stylish together, but that may be my way of thinking. Last time I saw Andrew he asked me what I had on my feet. “My new comfortable shoes!” He replied, “They are kinda Maw-maw looking.” Men – most have no sense of style. Long hair and tall heels are what they look for! ~Elle

9. I have a FB friend who every single day, more than once a day, posts selfies of her plastic surgery self. Blonde hair extensions down to her ass and the permanent state of surprise eyebrows are enough to make me cringe, but now an “airbrush” app has been added to rid every photo of imperfection. Oh, and grandmother of 3! I just sit at the station and watch that crazy train go by.
    I’m with you 100%! My lines tell a tale and remind me how far I’ve come. Badges of honor if you will.
    LOVE the photo!!

10. “A woman with very short hair photographed outdoors in the city.” Should read, “A very attractive woman…”.
    Are you 20 something? No, nor am I. I have been dealing with my age for many years. It turns out it was more my lack of assertiveness than anything. I have really been working on that and, voila, I have a date next Tuesday. First time in, well, a long time.
    You have that assertiveness already going on.
    A kiss out to you, Dear…were we nearer I would take you up on your offer and accept you just the way you are.
    Scott

You’re not a model and actress by accident. Millions of women would pay millions to look like you at any age.

12. Susannah, I think your face is absolutely lovely! I can’t stand the fact that people these days are trying Botox and so many forms of plastic surgery to improve on age. And I’m not saying that people shouldn’t try to look their best as they get older, but only if it’s natural. Your face reflects character, a loveliness that is you, so real and natural. That lack of artificiality, lends your face natural beauty. Maturity shines through that face of yours. I like it. :O)