Trash Talkin

I was sitting in the window at Starbucks at 5:30 in the morning, when a garbage truck pulled up with three of the handsomest black men I’d ever seen.  Tall, muscular not to mention well-groomed considering their line of work.

Aside from their good looks, what really got my attention was how happy they were dancing in the street, tossing bags of trash to one another like basketball players, before slam dunking them into the compactor.

It was quite a show, and one that had me smiling, no easy feat at that hour of the morning.

One of them saw me in the window smiling back.  Then the other two waved while the driver climbed back into the truck.

As I was leaving, I saw them again, so I stopped and said, “you know what? You’re the Harlem Globetrotters of Sanitation, that’s who you are.”  250px-Harlem_Globetrotter_playing_with_spctators_01

They are a famous basketball team from Chicago sired in 1926 that toured the country putting on shows with comedy and fancy footwork, known for their whimsical, silly  entertainment.

“You know,” one of them said,”my Uncle Charlie was one a those.”

“Well, Uncle Charlie is in your blood.”

He then threw a huge bag at his co-worker who tossed it back with a big, old grin.

After stopping at the florist to visit Rosie the cat, I found myself grinning, feeling happy all the way home.

This entry was posted in comedy, History, humor, men, New York City and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Trash Talkin

1. That would even put a smile on my face. Nice way to start the day.

It’s great to see folk happy in their daily toil. I remember the Globetrotters. They came to the U.K. many times. Even allowing for the showmanship and stage-management, I think they were happy in their work too.

Happiness is contagious, just like negative emotions. I bet your smile spread the good vibes even further.

Happiness is contagious! We need more of it in this old world! ~Elle

5. The perfect way to start a day. When something makes me smile early on, it carries through. Those guys are making the most of their jobs!

6. MJ says:

Whistled by Brother Bones:

“All those tips the porter slips to Sweet Georgia Brown
    They buy clothes at fashion shows for one dollar down.
    Fellas, won’tcha tip your hats. Oh boy, ain’t she the cats?
    Who’s that mister, tain’t her sister, It’s SB on the town.”

-Lyrics by A. Ken Casey (liberties taken with last line)

• I love this. Wow…never heard it before. Thanks M.J. Oh boy, ain’t she the cats? LOVE THAT

• MJ says:

I can’t think of the Harlem Globetrotters without hearing Bones’ Sweet Georgia Brown in my mind. That whistled anthem is so infectious, the sung covers seem to pale in comparison—which is ironic, because Georgia is a lady of color! The cat’s meow, the cat’s pajamas, even the cat’s ass! All soubriquets for the epitome of style. What a cat’s ass has to do with chic escaped me, but according to the Urban Dictionary, it’s inspiration is the meticulous way kitties attend to their hind parts.

• I just listened to it and it made me smile all over again. Thanks for writing about it. Gave the piece another layer 🙂

What a great way to start your day. It seems you are seeing more nice and happy people lately.

8. The Globetrotters came to our gymnasium once a long time ago. Yes, funny and talented.

9. Makes me want to fill out an application. I’ve been working with some sourpusses lately.