Give Me Your Tired Your Poor And Your .223 Caliber Smith and Wesson M-15s

My essay, Is Terrorism Becoming The Norm, caused quite a stir.  After writing over 1200 blog pieces none have ever gleaned as many comments.

Some came in peace and some heavily armed.  It’s America after all so I try not sparing  with the First Amendment, but towards the end became so turned-off by one particular contributor that his last tirade went into the cyber shredder.

Alas, I’m only human.

I’ve been reading Donald Trump’s take on the whole thing mainly because his garishness fascinates me.  After meeting him more than once, can only describe the Donald as a badly cut diamond passing himself off as a Cartier.

He thinks we should seal our borders banning all Muslims, and I certainly get it.  When you consider how many we’ve welcomed who hate us so passionately it more than makes sense.

But then Liberty comes knocking like a close relative no longer invited to your table.  Do we banish her after being so faithful and vigilant arms outstretched to those seeking a better life?  Should she be retired, moved to an assisted living community where she can watch CNN while reminiscing about the good old days when FREEDOM RANG?  images

Maybe Ellis Island, one of the more moving sites in America, should be turned into a theme park rather than a place of sacred reflection.

And who’s going to Monticello to break the news to Thomas Jefferson, or Mount Vernon where The Father of Our Country lies.  They both would be at rest no more to see what they achieved was no longer.

That’s not to say, we don’t have a problem.  These random, barbaric shootings stealing our sense of safety are not to be ignored, but to change who we are as a people, is that the answer?

I really don’t know.  What I do know is, it feels just plain wrong buying more guns.

I’ve always been disappointed in FDR for not helping the Jews more during the Holocaust, pleading ignorance.  It wasn’t till Pearl Harbor did we finally make a much needed appearance.

Hitler and his followers were pretty scary, but they didn’t hide their faces wrapped in religious gauze not valuing their lives.  With all the ghastly crimes they committed, they weren’t blowing themselves up at the drop of a hijab (Muslim headscarf meaning cover).

We knew who they were unlike ISIS and its worshipers who live in regular homes with kitchens and dens just like the rest of us.  They nod to their neighbors, buy flowers and milk, never once letting on their hatred for all we stand for.

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Why would Allah be against that…wouldn’t he want his children to be happy too?

Where is Pollyanna going with all this?

To a bar.

I have no answers.  What I do know is, becoming a hawk, hiding in dove’s clothing so I can mow them down in kind, sure doesn’t feel right.

Give me your tired, your poor, so I can blow you to smithereens.

With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Inscription on the base of The Statue of Liberty from Emma Lazarus’s poem, The New Colossus.    images-1

Atta girl Lib.  You give us that Power Salute because we sure need to see it.

This entry was posted in Faith, History, Home, media, New York City, Politics, religion, words, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Give Me Your Tired Your Poor And Your .223 Caliber Smith and Wesson M-15s

Do they hate all you stand for, or would they just like you to get out of their country(ies)?
    A thought-provoking piece Susannah: well done.

2. Poor Lady Liberty! Embarrassed is an understatement. She is there to remind us that we are always going to have differences, that’s a given in life; “We the people” are a diverse brood, this is nothing new; but, I’m sure she is baffled by the current “you against me” culture and wishes she could shake her head.
    At this point I’m more concerned with the alarming rate of division in this country than I am with Isis. It’s impossible to peacefully coexistence by forcing others to conform us to one certain way of being or thinking, that’s exactly what created these radical groups we are trying so hard to keep in check in the first place. I think having someone like Trump, continuously invading us with his critical message, is feeding fears, generating conflict and creating violence amongst ourselves. He has the power to good with his words, but sadly his ego continues to grab the mic.
    As for me, well, I’ll continue to participate in the peace of the world by accepting the diversity and not allowing myself to become fearful of my neighbors or hateful of what I don’t understand. The second we all start living that lifestyle is the moment we will fall.
    “Hey you ! don’t tell me there’s no hope at all
    Together we stand, divided we fall.” Pink Floyd

Rock on Susannah!

Liked by 4 people

Susannah, my humble thought is that we should continue welcoming those who wish to come to our country, but no more easy entry for anyone. Security should be tightened with NO exceptions, regardless of country of origin, religion, etc.

Liked by 2 people

Great thoughts going through your mind Susannah. It’s sad to see what once was may no longer be. Better security as Skinny said is in order. We can’t stick our heads in the sand and say it will go away. It’s getting hard to trust even the guy next door! ~Elle

Reblogged this on Finding Myself Through Writing and commented:
    Here’s more from Susannah – athingirl – on dealing with terrorism in America. What do we do…where do we turn? ~Elle

6. I continue to be baffled by the public’s support for Trump. He says things that a decade ago would have gotten him denounced by everyone. Now some people are accepting and supporting. We are a country of immigrants and religious freedom. Did everyone forget that? Or are they more concerned with gun rights?

7. This is such a complex problem, and with no easy solution, either. It’s certainly a different generation of people. When you think back to how this country began, the patriots of their time were initially hiding behind trees and firing at the Redcoats, then running off to regroup. They had little choice if they had any hope of success against Britain’s military. ISIS, on the other hand, hides behind head-scarf’s, and seeks out unarmed civilians. Chaos and destruction—total anarchy—and at any cost, including their own destruction, is their lone obsession. I believe it a sad inevitability, that we as a country will have to adjust and change, if we our to have any success against ISIS. ISIS, is hardly invincible, as they are obviously hell bent on their own self-destruction. But, it won’t be easy, and it will require a collective effort by the world to be successful against them. As for Trump, he’s proof once again, that if you have money and celebrity, you can get lots of attention and say practically anything, and almost get away with it. Legitimate contender, he’s not, but a distraction he is. And as our political system continues to dissolve into a circus act without respect for opponents on either side, there can be no civil discourse on the issues—as practically every candidate has become a boob to be mocked for their own stupidity. The public knows it, but the politicians are so stupid that they don’t, but neither do they care as long as they get attention, money and power. A shining example of how money can’t buy intelligence—just more money. And yet, they sit up in the lap of luxury and say, Look at us! Now, who looks like the fool? The Donald, and his followers are a prime example of a fool and how many sheep they can gather. Pretty sad.

8. Gail Kaufman says:

Like you, I have no answers. I don’t think any of our leaders or hope-to-be leaders do either. That’s what is so scary.

9. marymtf says:

I suppose the thing to focus on is that except for the American Indians everyone else is an immigrant or descended from one. So far it has worked. Every culture, grateful for the chance to settle down in safe harbour has added something positive to the mix. There seems to be a lot more angst about the latest arrivals.