When Winds Roar

I’m moving, after 36 years.  When I say I’m floored by it, I’m not just whistling Dixie.  Overwhelmed, thrown, devastated, shaken and without a doubt, stirred to my core.

My building was bought two years ago by a huge company who eyes it with anything but love.  Money, we certainly don’t have enough of it so lets put our heads together to glean more is the best way to describe it.  Turns out though, the head man is a pretty nice guy considering he wants my home.

I’m a rent-stabilized tenant holding rights standing in their way, so they made me an offer.  Two actually, and because of my health issues took them up on one surprising myself to no end.  I’ve decided there are two of me.  The one who stays fastened to all that’s familiar whether it’s to her benefit or not…like a polar bear clinging to an ice cube.  Then there’s the all-knowing Susannah who gets the program quicker than anyone else.  She actually scares me.

The place I’m moving to is beautiful…bigger, cleaner, has an elevator, dishwasher and a 24 hour doorman.

Of course change is the worst, for anyone.  Having that rug pulled out from under you can put a girl, at least this one, right over the edge.  So what if it’s threadbare…it’s yours and you’re comfortable on it, naked or otherwise.  The landlord naturally doesn’t care about sentiment, and why should he….it’s business after all… just that you’re moving out of his way…finally.  He’s unusually charming and handsome too, but a landlord just the same who smiles as he’s counting the days till you’re out.

I’m more than fortunate having him who’s big hearted, an anomaly in a situation such as this because if only you knew some of the stories.  Tenants under surveillance….doors padlocked while they’re at work or on vacation.  Threatening phone calls in the middle of the night.  I’ve won a sweepstakes in comparison.

This new place resembles a stadium…maybe the Yankees are free for brunch, at least that’s what it looks like to me.

Luckily, I have two friends who are decorators with a warehouse filled with furniture the size of an airplane hangar who will help me furnish this opulent space.  Right now I live in what I call a shabby-chic womb, I mean room, cozy and compact fit for one.

I should be in a little after Christmas.  Better tell Santa I’m moving so any wine deliveries aren’t delayed, because Thin Girl is gonna need all the spirits she can get.

Bon voyage, or bottoms up…whichever comes first.    images

This entry was posted in Home, humor, money, New York City, travel, Women and men and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to When Winds Roar

1. Hal & Kate says:

RELAX ! Even you will get through it. Nice story

Sent from my iPhone

2. Good luck with the move! It is a re-start, a change to renew and start 2016 fresh! Blessings! 🙂

3. Sounds like you got a good deal and were brave enough to take it. Hope there is a convenient coffee spot nearby. I hate moving but we will move again…into something smaller. I’m already dreading it and we’re not actively looking yet.

4. Gail Kaufman says:

Good for you that you let the all-knowing Susannah win out. It sounds like a smart move. I’ve always felt homeless during a relocation, but once I begin to bring more of “me” into the dwelling, it evolves into a home. Best of luck on your move!

New place sounds lovely. It will be home before you know it.

6. Susannah, I hope you are not going to be far from all your favorite haunts. But, it does sound like you made out pretty well. However, I understand losing a place that felt like home because it was so comfortable. But, as with all things…give it time and this new place sounds like it will feel just as comfortable. Yeah, easy for me to say, huh? 😀

As soon as you get the move behind you, all will be right with the world. As I said, it’s a new beginning – just remember to take your old self along on the ride. We wouldn’t want to lose you. I’m sure there will be stories to tell…~Elle

8. Whenever I feel that way about something new or change I just know it’s going to be great.It’s getting to the greatness that is uneasy! Will you be near the park?

Best of wishes in your new abode, Susannah. I’m sure you’ll enjoy feathering your new nest and arranging and rearranging everything. And I know you’ll make new apartment friends easily!

I can’t imagine living anywhere for thirty-six years. I think my record is eleven, where I am now. I’m looking forward to reading all the interesting tales prompted by your new pad and the move.

11. Lynn says:

Change can be scary, especially for us humans who tend to be creatures of habit. I hope your move goes well & you settle in to your new digs wondering why you waited so long to make the move!

12. TheLastWord says:

All the best for the big move. I’m sure in a few weeks you’ll wonder what the fuss was all about… 🙂

I lived in one apartment for 28 years minus 1. ( 28 years overall with a break in between. ) Then I moved to a brand new country I’d never seen before….

13. Hank says:

I’ve lived in this apartment now for 13 years and realized, recently, this is absolutely the longest I’ve lived in one place, ever. But that’s still only 36% of the 36 years you’ve been in your little apartment. I’m going to miss your place even though I haven’t entered it in decades but your being there was one of the constants in my life. Knowing you were there gave me and I’m sure others in your life a certain sense of security in an ever-changing world. You were an anchor! But enough of that; you deserve some creature comfort, like an elevator and a doorman. Congratulations. I’m sure you will adjust to your new place very quickly. Hey, more room for art on the walls!

• I’ll say, like MOMA. I’m only 6 blocks up off of Park so I don’t lose the neighborhood…the park, library, even Phil the shoemaker stays in my life. I’m grateful I’ll still have what’s familiar. If you feel affected by the move, imagine what my mind’s doing…the cha cha.