Christmas Aftermath

party-christmas-cartoon-celebration-humorous-vector-isolated-35413955It’s three days after Christmas and tinseled trees already line the gutter, their branches still fresh.

Can’t we hold on to yuletide just a little longer?

The store below me has gotten rid of their Santas replaced with plastic champagne glasses and pink confetti.Β  There’s also a rather dumb looking bear perched in the window wearing white gloves and a top hat.

Teddy looks as if he’s had one too many when New Year’s Eve is a whole week away.

How turned off am I.

What’s the rush when you still have eggnog in the fridge and a gingerbread man with his head still intact.Β  That’s when I know the holidays are officially over, when all that’s left are his legs.

Life hurries on all its own without us helping it along.

The word I’m looking for is savor…to enjoy or appreciate fully, reveling, basking in the moment.

I don’t know about you, but I’m still basking, wrapped in my quilt with two books, a bottle of red and peanut brittle, all gifts, while my ginger man waits in the wings.

Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself…Mathew 6:34

You said it Mat.

This entry was posted in animals, Books, dessert, Faith, Home, humor, men, New York City, religion, words and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Christmas Aftermath

1. Everything is rushed in this drive-thru world we are living in. I love to savor too and feel like screaming “give me a minute would ya!”

• I know the Xmas lights with go off as abruptly as they went on. The cute tree man disappeared so fast he and his evergreens made skid marks never ever to be seen again. Business as usual here in the Big Apple.

Basking … what a great word describing such a contented action. Maybe the rush to vanquish is because too many start Christmas before Halloween. I expect to see Valentine decorations before the weekend.

While shopping for stocking stuffers for Andrews stocking a few days before Christmas, I came across Valentine candy! This is why there is no Valentine candy in the stores nearer Valentines Day and why there was no Christmas candy this close to Christmas. Needless to say, Andrew got some marshmallow hearts in his stocking! ~Elle

4. Vasca says:

It saddened me that so many of my friends had their Christmas dΓ©cor, etc. put away the day after Christmas…too sad. I keep it around me as long as possible and the Spirit of it all year! It’s soothing. The scripture quote is right on target…I’m thinking of all these people living near us who lost everything in the deadly tornado Saturday evening. Lives were lost. Tomorrow, tomorrow! Thanks for the good thoughts.

• I forgot about that. New York is always in such a rush to get on with things. Maybe it’s because if 9/11. I really can’t say. But although I hate so many get cut down, I find Christmas trees so very comforting. It’s my Connecticut showing. Like your new icon.

We live in a world that craves instant gratification. It’s like emotional leapfrog out there. We have Christmas decorations before Hallowe’en and Easter bunnies before New Year. The fast food approach to ancient pagan festivals is not a wondrous spectacle to behold.

6. Alexander says:

The tree stays up till La Befana comes on the eve of the Epiphany!! That’s my story/rule and I’m sticking to it.
    ps: as a kid I lived in Naples πŸ˜‰

7. MJ says:

Ah, Susannah, Christmas is the only thing I like about winter! Adding to that emotional baggage, I grew up celebrating it twice—on December 25 and in the Eastern Rite tradition, in January. For me, there’s nothing like a lighted Christmas tree to dispel the gloom of the darkest, coldest days of the year. And in the heyday of real trees, ours never went up before December 20, since it had to brighten the front window for another 3 weeks. I felt so sorry for the trees that ended in the trash heap on December 26, I had to be discouraged from dragging them up to the park where they could at least expire amongst their brethren. Anyway…the proverbial Twelve Days of Christmas start the day after December 25, not Halloween, or Labor Day, and I want to see six lords a-leaping on the 31st, not six Easter bunnies.

• This is so sweet and sad at the same time. Yes if only they could at least expire with their brethren. In any event, it’s good to know there are a few traditionalists left, like you and me. We will carry the torch πŸ™‚

8. Wait! Halloween is…over? 😦

9. The holidays really rushed by this year. Yet, yesterday I was still taking down all the lights. Granted, we had just got back home, but hey…the tree is till standing in our living room. Okay, so it’s naked, but it still stands. πŸ˜€