New Year’s Revolutions

A revolution is a good way to look at my move which concludes on Saturday.

I’m stubbornly sitting in the old place like a prisoner refusing to leave jail.  I thought I was a lifer here at Sing Sing Susannah, what do you mean I’m free to go?

The new place is clean and new…why you can smell that Benjamin Moore from here draping the walls like painted livery.  A doorman will be on duty with big hands and a matching smile.  You know what they say about doormen with big hands don’t you?  They can carry all your packages and still press the button to the elevator.

Here I have laundry men who pick up the restaurant’s linen I live above (till tomorrow) who toss it down the stairs without looking.  How did you get that bump on your head Susannah?  I was hit by a sailing table cloth.

I’ve given the term, creature of habit, all new meaning having visions of having to be smoked out.

The part that’s amusing if you’re looking for that sort of thing is, I’m merely moving seven blocks and one avenue up.  My pal David Stewart went from Korea to Iowa without a whimper managing even to blog along the way.

Pam crisscrossed the globe like the Concord with two suitcases before settling down, and any minute could still make another surprise landing.

What’s my point?

WHAT’S MY FUCKING PROBLEM?

Glad to get that off my chest.

The one chromosome I have left knows, all will be well once I’m no longer given the choice of loitering, awaiting the laundry for that impromptu game of catch.

The doormen, Moe, Larry and Curly (I’ve yet to master their names) will guard my comings and goings like knights hailing taxis.

My food will be delivered without having to answer the door with a baseball bat, and when I get up in the morning to go to Starbucks, I won’t have to vie with any garbage walking down the stairs.

Now for me, that’s pretty revolutionary.

Here’s to a New Year of moving more than shaking.

This entry was posted in Home, humor, New York City, travel, women, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to New Year’s Revolutions

1. mary says:

All I can say is WOW

It will all be over soon and you will wonder what all the fuss was about Susannah. After almost forty years in the same surroundings, I imagine I would be in the same state of mine as you are though. You will have new material to write about and new friends waiting to be met…Happy New Year to you! ~Elle

Liked by 3 people

Happy New Year, Susannah! You really are starting fresh with the new year. There will be a few things you’ll miss about your previous digs, but I think you’re going to have a wonderful and happy year.

4. Talk about starting the year off with a clean slate. I think this could be a really great thing for you, although I know it’s not easy. Remember … “all great things are followed by chaos” true believer.
    All the best for a Happy & Healthy 2016!

5. Lynn says:

Sometimes old & familiar just feels better than shiny & new. I hope that once you get settled, the new place will feel like a breath of fresh of you! Wishing you wonderful adventures to write about in 2016. With Curly, Larry & Moe in your life on a day to day basis, I suspect the stories will be overflowing!

• Happy New Year Lynn. I have to say, they have already dazzled me and I’ve yet to spend a night there. Manners plus…miles of smiles. Their goal in life is just to please. It’s truly a grace considering where I’ve lived has been the total opposite. I am humbled by this whole experience. Thank you for such kind, encouraging words. All the best in 2016 🙂

6. gmg says:

I am the same way as you are. I hate change and cling to the familiar. Mourn the old and move on with the new. Happy New Year, Susannah!!

• I have one more night here I really don’t need to spend. With the exception of a few personal items as if I’m away for the weekend, I’m set to go…yet…I will stay one more night in mourning as you say…like a wake for a life that will be no longer. Thank you. I truly love and appreciate what you wrote Happy New Year.

7. I am excited to hear your posts next week. So much coming — the adjustment, the Stooge trio, furry friends and perhaps even a new coffee place. I am excited about your change and hope you will be AFTER the move.

8. MJ says:

What a great piece for New Year’s, Susannah! The prison metaphor is as good as it gets—funny, brilliant, and so true. Are not we all lifers in our personal Sing Sings? But your words really are singing. I’ve heard tell that the way we start the year sets the tone for its remaining days, and you’ve really nailed it! God bless you and Happy New Year!

• I feel like an inmate in Orange is the New Black. I marvel how some people weather change like it’s nothing. I am so wrecked at this moment, as if holding a wake before its burial tomorrow. I embrace the new, I do, yet shed well deserved tears for what has been. Happy New Year MJ, and thanks for being my friend.

9. Ok, I will quit complaining about having to drive 15 minutes to visit Walmart.

Teddy says the new apartment will feel like home in no time. Just be sure to have a quilt on the bed to hide under if you get afraid because of new creaky, squeaky, bump in the night noises. Jack wonders what the big deal is…wherever you curl up to nap is home. Me? I think it sounds wonderful.

• Funny you should mention a quilt. Rather than buy a new fancy schmancy one, I took my old, worn L.L.Bean red and white soft and thready and had it laundered. It awaits on the new bed for me to hide under. Tell Teddy I have it covered so to speak. 🙂

Like breadfruit in the Windies or the poinsettia in Singapore, some things are just better once transplanted. Your new home sounds wonderful and I’m sure you’ll be very happy, once your roots are re established.

12. Rubenstein, Hal says:

Nice piece ! Happy and healthy new year !

13. Mike Feddersen says:

Hi Susannah, you’re in my prayers. Sorry I have missed your posts, Christmas and stuff. Are pets allowed?!?

14. Susannah, I don’t think I’ve wished you a Happy New Year. How about Happy 2016! 😀

15. I think there were actually a few whimpers along the way when we moved, if only having to leave Korea. Of course, the most painful part was having to carry about 12 pieces of luggage through various airports and cities. I don’t want to do that again.