Tatters of the Heart

images My friend Joan and I were discussing how weepy we’ve become in our twilight years, how everything seems to make us cry.

We’re like those old AT&T commercials, when the son surprises his mom on Christmas, or the dog jumping in the suitcase cause the kid’s leaving for school.

Sentiment has become our drug of choice.

I have a good friend who recently had a triple bypass healing down south.  He told me in an email, his chest is so tender, a T-shirt even hurts.

I remembered J. Crew Men’s makes a soft, cotton one, two in a pack, so I called to order them for him.  Clearly the boy who took the call was very young.  You heard it in his voice, that…this is my first job sound, striving to be professional and efficient, practically to a fault.

We discussed my order in depth uncertain of the size and agreed, for comfort under the circumstances, the bigger the better.

My friend, who I’ll call Max, is a handsome, hulking guy, former Ford model, top of the heap in his time and one of the kindest people on the planet.

The salesman, after placing the order said, “I’m waving shipping for Max.”

Yeah, you guessed it.  I sobbed.

This entry was posted in Fashion, Health, Home, Love, men, modeling and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Tatters of the Heart

They say crying is cathartic. I can’t say that I have ever found it so. I am pleased to say that I am not particularly lachrymose. It cuts me up to see someone crying.
    The evolution of crying is an interesting question. What benefit can an apparent display of weakness confer? It’s probably not a question that will cheer you up much.

2. I hear ya sista. These days any act of humanity brings on the tears. I would have been crying at that gesture too…good egg that sales kid is.

Susannah, I LOVE this story. What a wonderful young man, and how very thoughtful of you. And yes, my eyes are all watery!
    My sweetie had a double bypass 1 1/2 years ago and never mentioned any tenderness. However, it was summer without the dry skin and with lighter clothing.

• My friend’s in Florida, so that’s a blessing, healing in kinder weather. I wish I could do more, but…email, cards..wacky animal pictures are all I have to offer…and now a coupla T-shirts. I know what it’s like to be suddenly overcome by illness. As if you were hit in the head by a two-by-four…or the heart in his case. So appreciate your empathy Skinny…really. 🙂

What a sincere friend to pick up on what he needs and act on it. The sales boy did good. And why to men think crying is a sign of weakness? (Per Micks comment) this could be a whole other discussion! ~Elle

5. gmg says:

I have been feeling that way, too (I’m in my 60’s). Reading your blog today made me cry……
    gmg

6. Some folks say it’s hormonal but mine hormones went south a long time ago. Sometimes the feelings make a pit stop just under the skin and there’s nothing I can do until they burrow down.

7. Alex says:

It’s like you sent him a “hug in a box”. And what’s better than that 🙂

How sweet and thoughtful of you. The customer service guy did a great job! Often the young aren’t as self-absorbed as some think. I don’t cry often…usually it’s when I see someone else cry. Tears are good for you…they cleanse and heal.

9. Pingback: Sentiment has become our drug of choice | How to Be Supportive