Almost Had A Cat

I emptied a closet so he’d have his own, made a list of all he’d need.  Even bought a snazzy dish I found in a thrift store.  I was all ready.

Snowdon the puma was going to be mine.

Then I had a house visit from the rescue squad.  Let me say, when you’re invited to someone’s home you should remember to bring along your manners.  If squirrels came, they would have behaved better.

This woman who kept me waiting for over an hour, finally arrived like a storm.  She put her hands on my freshly painted walls dropping her many satchels like air bags before saying…so where are your windows?

Where most windows would be?

Cats are apparently famous for jumping out, and after meeting this woman, I totally understood since she has 8 in her care.  I envisioned them with tiny parachutes leaping for their lives.

All of my windows have screens except for one pane.  They are encasement windows which means, they open out, not up.  She said, even after I told her I’m alone most of the time and would promise not to open this one lonely pane, it’s not acceptable.

I’ll come over and put up window guards, she said, without even asking.

But I don’t want window guards, and you need to trust me that I won’t open that window because I’d never hurt this cat I so thought I wanted till I met you.

Then of course my insecurity kicked up, thinking my home wasn’t a safe environment.

Why do these rescue people make it so hard treating you like the John Dillinger of adopters putting you through the wringer for no good reason.  I get the vetting process, that’s a good thing, but their technique could use some serious tweaking.

Needless to say, I am not getting Snow, unless it falls from the sky.

Such a shame, really, since I’m the most loving person on the planet, especially animal wise.  Any four-legged creature who ends up with me will have won a contest.

If only Carmela the basset hound could be one of my references, she’d certainly tell them.

“She even put cold compresses on my head when it was hot.  Rubbed my belly to make me laugh…and of course tickled my ears because how could you not.  Yes, Susannah rocks from here to the Grand Ole Opry.”

Yeah, if only.

So farewell Lord Snowdon.  I pray you get a good home.  Remember, we’ll always have Paris, I mean Petco.

Yeah, if only.  Ya hear that?  It’s my heart breaking.getPart I visited him every day for two weeks, we got along….sigh

This entry was posted in animals, Love, New York City, parents, women and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Almost Had A Cat

1. Lisa says:

Yes it is a odd process nowadays. That said I think most of our pets were found abandoned/as strays or we adopted them from someone we knew. My mother-in-law wants to adopt a dog but she’s not able to go through certain charities here as if you have any cats, they won’t let you adopt.

I had a similar experience when I adopted two rabbits. I got the rabbits but I felt violated by their inspection. I detected a degree of megalomania in their demeanor. Give a little mind a little power and what do you get? Let me tell you Toffee and Mallow lived in bunny heaven for the entirety of their natural lives.

Susanna, I’ve never heard of a home visit when getting a pet from an animal shelter up here in the north country. We do have Petco up here, maybe they do visits, but I doubt it. I could understand a visit to make sure the home isn’t overfilled with other pets or completely unsuitable, but this sounds like a witch hunt. Are there any regular animal shelters near you?

Love the pic of you and Snow. You see…it’s not just you. Others have had the same insane experience as you did. It did use to be so easy when there were kittens handed out like prizes. And puppies were too. Now it’s as though you are adopting a child.
    I would send you Foster Kitty if I could. He would love to be an inside cat – until the witching hour comes – and then you’d not see him until daybreak! And you also would have all the squirrel you could eat. 😂 ~Elle

5. So it’s over. The end. I’m sad but not giving up. You may come across another rescue in your life. So sad.

6. I have never heard of home inspections, but then again I have never tried adopting anything. It just seems stupid, since you willing, able, loving and sane. I am sorry you didn’t get Lord Snowdon, I am sorry for him too. Perhaps there is another cat for you. How about Craigslist?

• I’m taking a step back. I get attached so easily. I hope he gets the right home. He’s such a beautiful cat who needs love. His original owner dumped him when she had a baby, then he was adopted then returned because he nipped a ten year old kid. He’s upset and I felt, he’d be ok with me. My hubris showing its haughty head.

7. Susannah, someone who loves animals like you do deserves an animal to call your own. It’s a shame and I’m sorry this didn’t work out.On the bright side I got my laugh for the day thanks to the lovely image you painted with your words, “I envisioned them with tiny parachutes leaping for their lives.” What a picture that would be, standing on the sidewalk below and looking up to catch sight of cats descending with tiny parachutes, “It’s raining cats!” Could puppies be far behind?

8. LauraBelle says:

We have got all our pets from the shelter. We have found some at petco that we liked but the hassle they made it to adopt wasn’t worth it to us. At the shelter you just fill out some forms, pay them and then you are on your way.

9. Lynn says:

This breaks my heart Susannah. You have so much love in your heart for animals, please do not let this experience stop you from giving one a wonderful home.

10. mary says:

posted to FB and tagged Patti…its out in the universe….

11. Come on!!!! We had a home visit when we were looking to adopt a dog. Apparently our fence was not sufficient. Meanwhile I could have easily gotten myself some human beings without a bat of an eye.
    I’m very upset …..