Cheese With Mimi

My neighbor invited me over for wine and cheese after leaving a post-it on my door.

CAN YOU COME OVER AT AROUND 6???

CAN I?  YOU BET.

Moments after discovering her tiny invite, on my way to Duane Reade, I ran into Miss Mimi in the hall.  I was wearing my flannel pajamas beneath a really big coat.

“I’ll come over soon, have to run around the corner then need to change.”

“Change…why?”

“Cause I’m sneaking out in my, what I call, writing pants, and might be just a little too casual.”

“Oh phooey,” said the 85 year-old.  I don’t expect you to come in a tux.”

Hmm…a tux?  Have I given off a manly scent?  Of course, it could be the Old Spice I keep in the bathroom…reminds me of my dad.

So I was back in a jiffy with some fruit from the vendor…can’t show up empty handed after all… what would Connecticut say, where I found my hostess popping a cork of white she informs me she buys by the case.  Atta girl.  Ordering spirits in bulk is the way to travel alright.

Her house formally decorated, is the opposite of mine, like one of those roped off museum rooms with antiques and grand masters gracing the walls.  No framed magazine covers for this lady.  She had a small wheel of brie with crackers on the coffee table with coasters depicting the Alps.  We sat on the couch side by side so I could hear her.

With me in my J. Crew writing togs, I admired how nice she looked in her Waspy attire.  A silk white blouse tucked into navy blue slacks pressed to a T . A long glistening strand of pearls, gold clips fastened to her ears.  Her one fashion slip were her slippers…Isotoners, if I’m not mistaken.

She sat and talked while handing me at least a dozen crackers with cheese she crowed over…goat brie it was called.  I’m always very relaxed when it comes to food, especially when I’m drinking, so being fed like a monkey really didn’t bother me.

I was just very happy she asked me over after her declaration of…NO MORE GIFTS…see post. It’s Just My Way.  https://athingirl.com/2016/02/16/

“You know Mimi,” I said as she poured us more wine. “we’re gonna be great friends.  Coupla single girls livin on the same floor.  Bet you could teach me a thing or two about men.”

She pondered this for a second before saying, “I believe I could, and I’m always interested in meeting someone new.”

“Okay, so if I meet anyone I like, I’ll ask them if they have a father.”

“Make that grandfather, and I’ll drink to that,” she said, her pearls rocking to and fro like a shimmering swing.

This entry was posted in alcohol, Connecticut, Fashion, food, Home, humor, women and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Cheese With Mimi

Sounds like a wonderfully relaxing evening. And you can have as much wine as you wish since you don’t need a designated driver!

2. Mimi sounds like a charm! Now that you’ve made a girlfriend pact regarding men, I feel a pajama party coming on. I hope you get to enjoy each others company more often.

3. Loretta says:

Here’s to many more “liquid parties” for you and Mimi. What an inspiration she must be! Loved your post injecting subtle humor here and there. In a way it was good Mimi played “hard to get” initially, here’s to “happy ever after” for you both! Cheers!

• I have found in my Franciscan travels, people don’t always cotton well to unprecedented generosity. I, on the other hand, welcome and refuse nothing. To give and take, take and give is the natural flow of things. I’m grateful she thawed. 🙂

Nice to have a friend so nearby. You don’t even have to get out in the weather when it’s bad! Sounds like a great beginning…~Elle

Now that you’re the proud owner of an octogenarian dating agency……
    Glad, you’ve found a new friend. Didn’t I say you were going to be pals? 😉

6. I knew it! She loves you! Who wouldn’t! Cheese and fruit and wine. Dinner!

7. Lynn says:

It sounds like you & Mimi are going to be great friends! Love her sense of humour!

8. That is awesome! Wine, cheese and men: that is my kind of girlfriend!! I am happy that you are making new friends in your new home! Blessings!

9. I don’t blame her for being cautious of the pretty young thing that moved next door 🙂 I am glad that she quickly realized that you are harmless and a keeper. I predicted many awesome stories will unfold. Please do share her wisdom about men with us. 🙂

10. Susannah, I’m so glad you and Mimi are hitting it off well! :O)

11. She sounds like quite the lady. I love that last line. 🙂

Sounds like a great neighbor. I love people who are fine with pj’s. Going to be many stories in the future. Oh, if you came to visit me and the boys I would be wearing socks with whatever outfit unless it was hot then I would be barefoot. Shoes are only for outside my place.

• Me too. I’m never dressed at home. Pajamas, a man’s T-shirt underneath. Socks. I was thrilled she welcomed me over that way. It took her a minute, but she sees I mean her no harm, and…it’s to her benefit I’m next door. I’ll run the gamut for her, happily.