An Islamic Little Girl

This could only happen to me.

When I can’t sleep, which is often, I stumble out to the all night Duane Reade around the corner.  It’s empty at 3 a.m. except for a handful of sleepy employees, so one can cruise the aisles without being accosted by anyone named Carmelita in makeup and creams.

As I come in, a young cashier all of 20, is behind the counter with blood streaming down her face.  She’s Islamic, her pretty head wrapped up like a pretty package, with the exception of her hands and face from the eyes down, not a shred of skin showing.

Naturally I approach her.

“What happened?” I say, placing my hand on her arm. “A man, he came in to buy cigarettes and when I give him his change, screams ISIS, then punched me in my nose.”

I say, we need to call the police.  She panics. “No, no, please, they’ll blame me and I’ll lose my job.”

Meanwhile, blood is shooting like a geyser.  I find the manager upstairs sleeping behind the pharmacy.  After yelling at him for leaving her alone, I grab cotton and Witch-hazel flying downstairs like Clara Barton at the Battle of Antietam.  Another woman had come in, in the interim, and was comforting her.  After cleaning her up, her lazy co-worker said she could go home, but she refuses.

Let me say, I was so ashamed of humanity at that moment.  That someone could do such a thing to this young, innocent woman just because she chooses not to hide her faith.

My heart aches at this sad, prevalent, fucked-up truth.

I then go to the all night coffee shop to bring back tea.  The other woman, a lovely Latino lady, accompanies me, who starts to cry.

“What’s happened to us,” she said, “how can anyone be that cruel?”

“I don’t know ma’am, I truly don’t know,” I say, as we stand in silent solidarity.   images

This entry was posted in Faith, Love, New York City, Politics, religion, war, women and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to An Islamic Little Girl

The greatest irony is that the USA, ably and willingly assisted by the Saudis, created, armed and funded ISIS. Now. as ever. the little guys pay the price and clean up the messes left by the bully boys. Her bloody nose, whilst tragic, is nothing compared to the carnage in the Middle East and Africa.

• She’s a kid working for tuppence, as they say in your parts, so we kind of have our own Middle Age, right here. This trumped up hatred, the lashing out. The verbal abuse would have been bad enough, but to hit her positively throws me.

Liked by 2 people

2. Lisa says:

This really breaks my heart. When I still lived in the states, I knew a few muslim girls but only one that ever actually wore a hijab. I remember her telling me it was her choice to wear one, her sister didn’t and her family was fine with it, I didn’t understand at the time why she felt she needed to explain to me because it didn’t bother me. Its so different over here in the UK. One of my work friends wears one, my next door neighbor as well. I don’t even have to walk that far to see someone who is muslim or comes from a muslim family and no has to explain why they are the way they are in this neighborhood. I really feel for that poor girl.

• Clearly tolerance holds more weight where you are. I can’t say a hijab is a common sight. I remember once witnessing a girl being mocked on a train because she wore one, even wrote about it, so I see they can be targets. A blessing he only hit her. Could have had a gun. Sigh

Susannah, this brought tears to my eyes. I hope that you and the Latino woman restored her faith in people. If only A-holes wore different clothing so they could also be identified on sight.

4. Just think of the guy that did this? The gigantic pussy that he really is. He is so upset about ISIS, he walks into a store in the middle of the night and punches a GIRL in the face. He sounds really fucking brave …. NOT! (Sorry for the curses, lord knows I’m holding back)
    Thank goodness you were there, with the others, to provide her with the kindness you all exhibited. Hopefully that kindness will be her memory about this horrific incident. Love trumps Hate!

Liked by 2 people

5. Lynn says:

Susannah, this absolutely breaks my heart. I feel like we, as a society, have taken a giant leap back in time, spewing such hatred for innocent people. How tragic for this young girl to experience such an act. The fact that she is fearful to call the police is even worse. I feel so sad she has experienced this from another human being, one who clearly is ignorant to the bone.

I still don’t understand the hate some carry for others. What good is it going to do to punch someone like that girl for something she has no control over? I’m sure she is as scared as we are or more so wondering what’s going on in this world now… You were there at the right time Susannah. ~Elle

• I can’t help wondering, why I always seem privy to this type of thing, something I said to Mrs. Rodriguez who said, God puts us where we’re needed. She was so nice that woman. We fought over who would pay for tea. We split it. 🙂

7. Pingback: Finding kindness & tolerance | Life After 50

8. joannesisco says:

I’m visiting via Lynn at Life Over 50. I’m appalled by this story.

*Tough* guy wasn’t he? Throws a sucker punch to a young, unsuspecting girl. Yup – real *tough* guy.

I thought all these stores have surveillance cameras. A crime was committed and the police should be given the store video, even if the girl doesn’t wish to press charges.

• I don’t know the particulars. I respected her wishes, something before I went into a 12 Step program, would have ignored. It was her decision to not call the police, something I disagreed with but, it was about her, not me. I will say again, I was happy to see her working during the day, so maybe she did tell someone. Thank for writing.

9. Really sad story. Transference at it’s worst.

10. Isaiah says:

A deplorable incident humanely handled! It puts one in mind of three verities. Firstly, dead Gods, the ones no longer worshipped, are more emollient than those alive. Secondly, pieties universalised and, thus, unattached from their spatial and cultural orderings, the nomoi of the Greeks, turn un-pious and barbaric – no matter whether encountered in Brussels or in Kabul and Baghdad. Thirdly, it is therefore best for humans, and particularly statesmen, to act with a measure of humility and a deep respect for historical contingency. And, yes, you should be right to think the preceding without value as it neither consoles nor remedies the inhumanity at your pharmacy.

11. I swear you’re an angel, Susannah, or at the least Florence Nightingale. 🙂 People like that the person that attacked her make me furious. It’s like blaming all Europeans for Hitler, or all Asians for Pol Pot. It makes absolutely no sense. I’m glad you were there for her.

So sad. I don’t understand so much of what happens and maybe if I did I would be even angrier with the monsters that inhabit our world. You couldn’t sleep for a reason…one, to help a frightened abused young woman…two, so you could meet another woman who shares your heart.

• I also think in that way, you’re placed somewhere for a reason. Doesn’t hurt I’m too a first responder never turning away. In a way, a scary aspect of me. One day I’ll run into a burning building and not come out.

13. yaamatullah says:

I know I’m late to reply. I just want to say that I visited American last October and it was downright scary the way people stared and said hateful things to me. One man actually started following me out of the store until he noticed my father was with me as well.

Why is it these cowards go after women and not men most of the time? What is wrong with them?