Common Sense

I have now suffered from hearing loss for over three years.  To my credit, though not easily, I’ve accepted the limitations it comes with.

Took me a while, but learned the hard way, not to push against what is.

That said…I’d like to address the attitude of others.

It’s nothing to laugh at nor make light of, not when you consider it’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to me, stealing so much I’ll never get back.

I don’t talk about him, but I’ve been in love with a musician I can no longer hear.  Boy, if God wanted to get even with me, that was one celestial slam dunk.

I can’t watch movies anymore, the sound more of an assault than entertainment.  My phone life has been curtailed as well.  I can’t even call a friend for an idle chat.  Texting and email are my only forms of communication.  I see people talking on their cells as they walk down the street.  I long, within reason, to do the same, but it’s impossible, even with a hearing aid.  Yes, thin girl has one she’s named Min who rivaled the cost of a car.  Did I mention how sexy you are with one dangling from your ear?  Ah yes, it makes men go wild, especially when it starts to squeak like it needs a lube job.

Where am I going with this?  I don’t expect sympathy nor look for it, but a little sensitivity wouldn’t hurt.  For those who don’t get how painful losing a sense is, I can only say, let’s pray it never happens to you.  That’s what I thought, and look at me.

Just call me Helen Keller in tights, flats and a hoodie.

Yes, occasionally I speak loudly because I don’t realize it, so if you’re embarrassed to be with me, then don’t be with me.  If it’s too much trouble to repeat something, then it’s best we don’t talk.

The one upside about hearing loss is, your heart opens for all others forced to live with a similar plight, and for this drop of grace, I’m grateful.  2862211384_e5bb0bdc43

Where would I be without my sense of humor…hanging from a shower rod…that’s where.

This entry was posted in Gratitude, Health, Love, words and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Common Sense

Isn’t there a saw something like “never judge a person ’til you’ve walked a mile in their shoes”? I think you could swap “shoes” for “ears” with impunity.
    Maybe your weakness is your strength, and that’s why we love you so.

Susannah, sometimes it seems as though patience and empathy are in short supply.
    Twenty years ago, one of my cousins stopped talking to her best friend and childhood neighbor because the friend got MS. To put this into perspective, my cousin was born with a hearing problem that also caused a speech defect and yes, you had to repeat yourself often. There was obviously only one true friend in this duo.
    I’m sorry you are finding out that some of your friends and acquaintances are like my cousin.

Liked by 2 people

3. Gail Kaufman says:

Susannah, I have a hearing loss too though not too severe at this point. I am mostly affected in loud places like noisy restaurants and crowded parties, which puts a dent on socializing. My ears can’t filter voices through background noise. I have to watch TV with closed caption, which is annoying. I might as well just read, but maybe that’s a good thing. I blame it on many years on NYC subways during college and work commuting.

What doesn’t kill you will make you stronger as you have proved over and over! ~Elle

5. My brother had hearing loss starting in his mid-50s. He’s in his 80s now (but very chipper). I remember the chirping or buzzing hearing aids. I remember his vanity in not wearing then and then giving you the wrong answer to your question. In a way it became the family joke that his answer would be about a totally different topic. (Yes, families can be cruel but we tried to be loving about it.) Now that my hearing isn’t so great I go to him for advice so he is having the last laugh. Aids have come a long way but aren’t all the way there. All answers to my questions start with “depends” or “maybe” or “it does wonders for some.” Of course it’s followed by a suggestion to take out a loan the size of our country’s deficit. Obviously my hearing loss is considerably less than yours since I have been postponing that checkup. As for sensitivity to ailments, I learned that lesson in high school when I was friends with someone with the worst acne in the whole world. Yes, it severely affected her self esteem (and yes people made fun of her). We each take our turn at the well and you never know what you get so it’s always best to be kind.

6. Mike Feddersen says:

You know God’s sense of humor never ceases to amaze me, earlier today I was inline behind an older attractive lady(older meaning our age…ish). She had her hair back and for some reason I wanted to thoroughly give her ear a good French kissing. But alas I’m a gutless bastard so I never get the courage to risk catching ear mites. It occurred to me if all my day dreams came true, I would probably have needed several replacement surgeries.
    Wishing you the best always.

Kate’s comment reminded me of Gilda Radner’s Emily Litella.

7. My sister is in direr need of a hearing aid and WILL NOT get one. Her vanity is as big as Trump’s ego, so you know it’s not looking good for a future purchase. Trust me when I tell you, I would rather have someone shouting and buzzing, than to watch the ugliness of vanity nodding silently at the table not having a clue as to what I’m saying.

• Vanity certainly comes and goes here at Chez Susannah riding bareback on shame, its sister…shoot me in the foot. Trump…it’s gettin scary Top. Could he really be our next president? Read Peggy Noonan in the Wall Street Journal. Sigh

8. Wouldn’t the world be a different place if everyone had to live with every ailment for at least one day? I can’t imagine, for instance, being quadriplegic, but I guess I would survive if I was. Hearing loss is a hard one to bear though, especially with music and movies. You always have a voice with writing though, and such a great one too. Thank God for blogging so you can share it with the world.

• Such a nice thing to write. Thank you David.

• Michael Feddersen says:

David,
      I had thought a wonderful business to start would be a business where people could experience the symptoms of a disease or malady. My mom died from COPD/emphysema, she had less than 25% of her lung capacity. Cigarettes caused her death, her mother died from cancer in the bones. Yes she knew smoking was a risk, but I wonder if she could have had that experience she died from, twenty years earlier, whether she would have kept smoking?
      My wife suffers from anxiety and depression, her psychiatrists(they dole out the meds) and the various psychologists(supposedly they talk you off the ledge) should all be given pills to allow them to feel what their patients feel. I think Xanax, which the wife said made her feel less anxious while taking it, but they took it away. Habit forming narcotic. But it is okay to have her on twenty other pills instead, they’re all helping. Right?
      I think a whole lot of doctors might get clues if they really did walk in your shoes.

• Doctors do like writing prescriptions, this I know. I’m sorry your wife suffers from depression. Must be hard on you as well.

• It’s the sort of technological advance that would change the world. I think you’re right that doctors would be a lot more cautious trying various medications if they knew exactly what it was like.