Why Women Should Vote

I’ve been hinting at this here and there like a diplomat trying not to offend anyone, but this is where the kid gloves come off since three women I know, have already said, they’re not voting.

There was a time men laughed at the mere thought that women should have the right to vote.  Now think about that for a second.  Imagine being ridiculed for something we, more or less, take for granted.  images

Let me enlighten you.  In 1850, a stream of courageous women began a movement who, marched and beckoned, besieged and practically begged to have the same right to weigh in as their husbands, who did nothing to help until 1920, when the 19th Amendment to the United States Constitution was passed giving women the right to vote.  images-1

I wish I could say, their opposition was all there was, but that wasn’t the case.  The women who tried their hardest to win what we have now, never seeing it in their lifetime, were ridiculed and reviled for merely having the desire to be treated as an equal.

Ken Burns made an amazing film called, “Not For Ourselves Alone: The Story of Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony and their long fight to bring equal rights to women who, along with countless others, got us the vote.” 518TK399YHL._SY445_

These women were humiliated, and even jailed, because they marched in protest.  images-5We were considered inferior to men only useful as child bearers and housekeepers.

This is what makes me soften towards Hillary Clinton since, despite her flaws, represents those brave and humble souls who stood up for the rights we have now.

So when I feel dispassionate and discouraged chanting, what’s the use…I think of them laughed at and dismissed, these suffragettes’ who stoically suffered so we, on election day can be counted, as Americans, despite our sex.

For them, I will go vote, humbled in their memory.

I ask you, on my knees, to please do the same.   images-2

This entry was posted in Books, History, Home, men, New York City, women, words, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Why Women Should Vote

1. Rob says:

Hillary is a nasty bully. But you’re right: women should exercise their hard won right to vote.

We’ve gone so far as to drive my husband’s sister to the polls not the same location as ours) to vote. Hard to believe that my two grandmothers and great-aunt couldn’t vote until their 40s.

3. I will vote. It is needed in this election for sure. BTW if Hilary was a guy do you think she’d get the same bad press? Somehow I think not.

Liked by 2 people

4. Ross de Marco says:

Another vast right wing conspiracy . Poor Hillary they are out for her . No man ever received bad press before ? Are you kidding me . She is completely untrustworthy . It broke my heart as a parent watching an interview with the mother of Sean Smith , Hillary lied to her face . Her son valiantly fought for 9 hours at Benghazi and like the others was left to die .she erased 30,000 emails – why ? Richard Nixon erased 18 minutes of tape and had to resign . She sold 20percent of our nations uranium to Russia through the Clinton foundation , which will undoubtedly wind up in Iran , to help build their nuclear arsenal . She’s mired in muck up to her eyes . I work the polls and yes it’s discouraging to find the cavalier attitude that many have regarding their right of the vote . Especially when people had to fight so hard to attain the right .

5. Ross de Marco says:

But of a course . Well he isn’t under Federal investigation . He hasn’t committed any treasonous offenses . We do have a right to enforce our immigration laws , that isn’t racist . It’s common sense , do you lock your door at night or just allow strangers to walk into your home and take over? I don’t want another. 8 years of Marxist agenda . Look at Venezuela today after the reign of Mr Chavez ? I don’t want none .

6. Oh Liz and Sue are two of my favorite women!! Of course, Suzie was Quaker which makes her immediately badass. This dynamic duo did more for woman and the greater good of society than we could ever hope to do in a lifetime.
    When women today claim to be “too busy” to vote I cringe. They need to be reminded that Liz changed the world with 7 children in tow. Not to mention susie & Liz did it with no modern amenities and those damn dresses with 500 layers of material and no air conditioning…come on now!
    No excuses ladies! Get you asses out there and VOTE!

• I love what you wrote and that you know who they are. Had a girl, who shall remain nameless since I’m from Connecticut and very well-mannered, say…who cares who they are…and by the way, who are they? When you come to, and you’re not this much of an idiot, give me a call…sigh

7. Gail Kaufman says:

I guess it wouldn’t be cool to add on to your post “unless you’re a Trump supporter,” but I was kinda hoping all the Trump supporters would stay home, male and female.

• You make a point, I’m not one, that’s for sure, but even if he’s a candidate, it’s still a privilege.

• I keep waiting for him to do something really stupid that would nil his chances. I’ve seen him in public. He’s a trip on a normal day. A friend of mine lives in a building he owns and the harrassment trying to get him to leave, he’s rent-stabilized meaning his rent can only be raised a certain amount, is staggering. He is not a nice guy and should not lead our country…Hillary, as hard as it is to accept, is the better choice.

• Gail Kaufman says:

Agree with that too. Surely don’t want a greedy landlord in the White House.

• Greedy? My friend has been to court so many times, Trump knowing it costs him funds he doesn’t have. Like trying to smoke him out. It’s awful. Isn’t he rich enough? His character is questionable. He’s mean. He’s NUTS!!!

Reblogged this on Finding Myself Through Writing and commented:
    Susannah is right. Even though this election, or rather opponents, are sometimes sketchy to say the least, all women must still get out there and vote and may the best candidate win! ~Elle