When Things Are Not What They Seem

My neighbor in 7C stopped me in the lobby to say, “So who is he?”

“Excuse me?”  I couldn’t imagine who or what she was talking about.  She’s a woman I helped once and hardly know, but thinks we’re pals.

Apparently someone mentioned I come in each morning with two Starbucks cups.  Hmm, wonder who that could be. I thought doormen were supposed to be discreet.  I do carry two cups when I come home, one is coffee I’m still drinking, the other a refill I’ll heat up after I run.

“So who is he. You must have just met him.”

Not feeling the need to explain, I used a trick of Camille’s that always works like a charm.  I answered a question with a question.

“Is that a new blazer?  I don’t think I’ve ever seen it before.”

She immediately began admiring herself. “I just got it at Bendels, on sale.”

“Wow,” I said, “it looks great,” as the elevator doors opened, disappearing, before she could say another word…ho hum

This entry was posted in Fashion, humor, New York City, women, words and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to When Things Are Not What They Seem

Funny! That answer with a question always does the trick…if you want to hide a man in your apartment it’s no ones business but your own. Keep them wondering Susannah! ~Elle

2. Hira says:

Thanks! I learned a new trick today .. !

Oh, the intrigue! Woman of mystery Susannah keeps the natives guessing. Melodrama on the Upper East Side. 😉

4. edwardcres says:

You should have told Ms. Torquemada that you haven’t gotten around to asking his name yet.

That’s a great technique, Susannah. I would have stood there like a fool explaining what was none of her business. If I had a magic gizmo to stop time for a minute while I thought of a comeback, I might have asked, “Who do you think it is?”
    Now I can’t wait to use your question with a question ploy. Years ago, my boss’s wife gave me a helpful response to a request that you don’t want to do. Just say, “Hmmm, let me think about that for a bit and I’ll get back to you.” Sometimes I’d decide doing xyz wasn’t so horrible after all. Other times, the asker was already prepared to hear my ‘no’ or had roped someone else into doing whatever.
    Don’t start carrying three cups or you’ll keep the neighbors up all nights wondering what’s going on!

6. I wonder how long it took til she realized that you didn’t answer. People are funny. Every once in a while I need more than 1 Starbucks. The barista will ask if I have house guests. I decided it’s easier to say yes than look like a coffee hoarder.

Must be a some bored people living in your building. There are some here. One man decides for himself what is going on and tells everyone he sees. He makes me into a much more interesting person than I am so I am pretty sure the other folks he talks about are really as boring as I am.

8. LOL. Change the subject at the elevator. You’d be a great politician, Susannah. 😀

9. Hahaha I just taught my daughter that trick! She has a supervisor, who must moonlight at the FBI, with the extent of questions she asks my daughter on a daily basis. I told her to tilt her head and respond with “why do you ask?”