Bill Cosby, August Vanity Fair

An article worth reading, if nothing else, for the complexities of the charges leveled against a man who, if guilty, should be drawn and quartered.

I met Mr. Cosby on two occasions, having worked on one of his shows.  He’s an imposing man, tall…burly, who walks, like my friend Camille likes to say, dick first.

One of the things I remember was how he belittled the young (white) director in front of the whole cast and crew. Why?  I imagine just because he could.  It was his show after all and in the world of filmmaking, that gives you the right to abuse.

The funny thing about witnessing bad behavior of the famous is, that’s what you remember about them, more than their talent.  Cruelty crows, doesn’t matter how many awards you get, so his comedy, considered groundbreaking, has lost pulp.

I recall how the women always got smiles and preferential treatment, me included, even though I wasn’t very coveted, thank God.  He just liked a harem around him using his charm to insure it…merely a thin girl’s theory, but a pretty good one.

The piece in Vanity Fair recaps the multiple allegations from 35 different women claiming he drugged them in order to have sex while they were barely conscious.

Many of the women are models and actresses one could doubt.  I actually know a couple whose credibility I’d indeed question.  But this couldn’t apply to all of them, who woke up in the morning, shellshocked and sore having been used like a sexual tinker toy.

But the person who speaks to me the loudest is Camille, images-2 his wife of 52 years who, not only stays by his side, but never moans or whimpers.  They have 5 children together, a son, Ennis, at 27, tragically murdered in 1997.

So I can’t imagine what it must be like for this woman to have to endure the scandal of her husband’s alleged conduct.  I use the word alleged purposely, since this is America remember, and one is innocent till proven guilty.

But William Henry Cosby Jr.,  in his 77th Year, such a leader of his time, indeed may be headed for the slammer.     images

This entry was posted in Family, Home, kids, media, men, parents, Politics, sex, violence, Women and men and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Bill Cosby, August Vanity Fair

I will never understand men like that as long as I shall live. Do they really only want somewhere warm and damp to insert? If so, there are easier ways. Surely the thrill and fulfillment comes from being wanted? If you need to drug her first, she doesn’t want you.

• It’s rather shocking since he was sort of serial about it. Over and over again. Too lazy to woo so let’s just drug them. Creepy.

• micklively says:

Yes, I think you’re probably right: the lazy label certainly rings true. But I think there’s something more fundamental at work. I detect a deep-seated resentment amongst some men of the power that women have over them. I think this accounts for a whole range of unpleasant behaviours; from mild misogyny through to raving ripperesque serial murder. Sex is power!

• Whoa! Ripperesque. Jack lives on through Bill. The irony is, any performer already has his foot in the door. It’s what made those women want to be in his company in the first place. If he had just been patient, no drugs would have been needed. The fact he used them like poor defenseless animals is what puts those chills down ones spine. I really was hoping it was a terrible rumor, but now see, there’s truth to the allegations. That’s the thing about the truth, it always comes out.

• micklively says:

Yes, indeed. You will doubtless be aware we’ve had a number of such cases in the UK, many involving household names, who people felt they’d invited into their homes via the BBC. What I find most alarming is not so much the bastards themselves but the great swathes of folk who “turned a blind eye”. As in so many fields, the imperative not to rock the boat was paramount. I find that REALLY SCARY. Seems we learned nothing from Pastor Martin Niemöller.

• micklively says:

“First they came for the Communists
        And I did not speak out
        Because I was not a Communist
        Then they came for the Socialists
        And I did not speak out
        Because I was not a Socialist
        Then they came for the trade unionists
        And I did not speak out
        Because I was not a trade unionist
        Then they came for the Jews
        And I did not speak out
        Because I was not a Jew
        Then they came for me
        And there was no one left
        To speak out for me”

• I love this. Really pulls at my heart.

Susannah, I recall listening to his comedy albums during the 60s. He was hilarious. I later loved his TV shows, but always felt he would be a task-master in real life. I never thought he would be a predator. With his fame, there was no need to drug and take advantage; it must have been to gain a sense of power. In the beginning I hoped the charges would prove untrue, that hope is now gone along with the legacy of all the good he did.

• I defended him too in the beginning. Could not remotely think it could be true. It’s very disappointing along with being so upsetting for all of these women. It’s amazing he can show his face.

• I’m with you and the other skinny girl. At first I thought it was a ploy to get money out of him. Then I heard some other comics who were not violated talk about how well known he was for this in the business. It was a different time I guess. Today this would be on social media before the act was done.

• It’s just so creepy. You think, no, not Bill Cosby. Mr. Huckstable who pushes Jello. He’s so all American. Yeah!

This saddens me so because I watched his show over and over as I do I Love Lucy and Andy Griffith. Now they are no more and yes, it’s his own fault. Why people think they can get away with such and are above the law just because they are who they are is beyond me. There is so much in the papers these days of such and you know these people have to have a screw loose somewhere to even contemplate doing what they do. ~Elle

4. Rubenstein, Hal says:

A really honest well written perspective !

Hal

Hal Rubenstein
    First Vice President
    Portfolio Management Director
    The Sound Shore Wealth Management Group

Morgan Stanley
    One Fawcett Place, 3rd FL
    Greenwich, CT 06830
    Direct: 203-625-4851
    Toll Free: 800-243-5977
    Fax: 203-661-4280
    hal.rubenstein@morganstanley.com

Website:

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments may be legally privileged and confidential. If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and permanently delete the e-mail and any attachments immediately. You should not retain, copy or use this e-mail or any attachment for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of the contents to any other person.

5. nikkispeaks says:

I watched the Cosby show on reruns, as a kid and I loved it. It was one of my favorite shows. I really didn’t care for the way Mr. Cosby choose to address issues in the African Community, especially when it came to African American youth. So I really soured on him them, and I think a few people did. It interesting to me that while he was preaching to AA youths, that he had this dark secret.

6. To me this is such a sad story. Many of us grew up hearing Cosby comedy albums, telling humorous tales that we all could relate to, but often taken to the laughable extreme. My wife and I went to his first show back after the passing of his son, Ennis. Tears in his eyes, he was greeted by the entire audience with a loud and thunderous prolonged ovation, and then thanked everyone saying, “Thank you all very much. I know that was for Ennis and our family is very grateful for all the love.” He ended that show with the “Dental Visit” story to tears of laughter. I’d like to believe all of what has been said recently about the man is a lie, but I fear where there’s smoke there’s fire. I wished at the worst, maybe only a couple of the stories were true—sparing his wife of more painful truths to come. No one is perfect—we all have moments we regret and wished never happened. But if everything being said is true—for even some of the women—then one painful story too many.

• Couple things…I’ve really missed your two cents. You are also a wonderful writer…that said…yes…I wish it was a big rumor as well…I do. But as you say, where there is smoke there’s fire, and a blaze is clearly going as we speak.

I always admired the Cosbys for not seeking out the death penalty for the person who killed their son. That type of compassion has always impressed me. Same with the Kennedys when Ted on behalf of Bobby, as spokesman for the family said…my brother would never want a life taken, even if it was the one who took his own. That kind of thing is so mighty and resonates so brightly.

I love that they gave Bill a standing ovation to honor his son.

Such a loss. But this is a loss too…one of reputation. One of history. The leveling of a man who’s had so much. sigh

Very disturbing across the board.

• Thanks for the compliments Sue. This summer I do confess to stepping back a bit from my reading and blogging, but I hope to improve on it soon. Still, this matter concerning Mr. Cosby or any individual we grow up with who commands the spotlight,but who then ruins the illusion of being a good person we might care to emulate, is terribly troubling. But, I suppose it also offers up a good message too; That we are all imperfect and when we put people we admire on a pedestal there is just the chance—because of that imperfection—that we might find ourselves disappointed if they fall off that perch. Maybe the image of good they project is worth holding onto, even if the one who provided it, failed to live up to the expectations.

• Remember that, your writing is a love as opposed to a job…and you read for amusement and perhaps inspiration, and it’s all good.

Bill Cosby is a disappointment…and if we’re at fault for expecting too much, well…I’ll accept that. But his actions do make you wonder if there are any true idols, for lack of a better word, to look up to anymore.

I’m tired of life turning so ugly. Tired of the ugly truth since it does nothing for me.

• I feel very much the same way. As a kid I looked up to the baseball stars. Thank goodness I don’t today, or I’d really be in for a disappointment.

• A-Rod has blemished baseball for sure. But they were all bad boys. Babe Ruth, if he were here, could lecture on the subject. In the days when the team accompanied by the press traveled by train, there’s a tale of The Babe running naked through the press car with a woman chasing him with a butcher knife. “This is one more story we wont print,” one of them said. Love that. 🙂

• I think I remember hearing that story about the Babe…and a few more. Yep, you make a good point. :O)

7. Such a sad state of affairs. For those of us who grew up with this icon, it’s disappointing. It just chips away at our trust of anything good.

8. As with so many events, our election being one, we will see what we will see. I enjoyed thoroughly Mr. Cosby’s humor on 33 rpm records, listening to them over and over when I was young. Whether or not he did these things may not ever be really known. One of the things I always worry about with this type of allegation is that people may want their moment in the sun badly enough to just join the crowd. One person starting something and other just agreeing to see what will happen. People, when they smell blood in the water, often forget they came to swim.

9. I once bought the last four tickets to one of his shows, he was older, wearing sweats and tennis shoes. Only two of us could sit together, and it was an outdoor venue. We laughed and afterward went to get coffee and dessert. The memories of that evening have been tarnished , and I also thought it was just a ploy for money, and now, it’s just disappointing. I do not know how his wife holds up. She must be a wreck. Such a sad state of affairs. Well written. Thank you once more for your words.