Dueling Phones

Who needs to be a couple these days, when you have a phone.  I’m in a restaurant watching how no one relates to who they’re with anymore.

It’s amazing.  They come in, sit down, and immediately check their phones, and not briefly either.  They look up long enough to order a drink, then go right back to social networking like it’s their life’s work.

What happened to, how was your day honey?  Wanna hear about mine?

The drinks come, they sip, heads down ignoring one another.  Suddenly one will actually get on the phone to have a lengthy chat as though he or she were alone.

Just say, you bore me baby, and get it over with, then you can simply date your phone…bring it flowers and candy since you take so many liberties with it anyway.

“I’ll have the veal, she, a new battery.”

Of course, then you’ll have to pick up the check.  Thank God we now have No Fault Divorce since this would give grounds for adultery a whole new spin.

The whole business makes me want to just retire from public life altogether.

That’s how disturbing I find it all.

This entry was posted in humor, New York City, sexual relationships and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Dueling Phones

I resisted owning a mobile ‘phone for the longest time. Now they’ve done away with our desk ‘phones, so it’s mobiles only. Maeve has one but flatly (no pun) refuses to charge its battery. I can’t say that I blame her.
    I find your comments about relationships in the mobile era quite apposite. It also occurred to me that we will lose the ability to interpret body language and facial expression over time. It will be as though the world is autistic.

2. Oh not to worry Susannah. The day is coming when a couple will go to dinner and they’ll connect again. Just, that it won’t be traditional. Instead, they’ll just look at each other through face-time, to avoid exercise by lifting up their heads to stare longingly across the table at one another. Then, they’ll have a pleasant conversation—by way of texting—to save their vocal cords from giving away any kind of true emotion. 😀

Susannah, I’ve seen it, too. My Pookie and I often comment on it when we go out to dinner. My youngest daughter’s boyfriend (age 40) is glued to his phone when they come over, but at least he doesn’t talk on it while we eat. One of my college room-mates is addicted to texting and always has her head down.

4. Oh it’s just awful! All I see are disconnected people with an increased risk for osteoporosis wandering the streets like quiet drones.
    That is our future ….

You know Susannah, you’re right. Too much intimacy with our phones these days. And believe it or not, with Apple Pay, your phone can now pick up the tab! 😉

6. My stepdaughter checks her phone while she’s talking to us in person. Sometimes she doesn’t make any sense. People really can’t multi-task.

7. George says:

Don’t even get me started on this…….

8. Gail says:

I have to confess – I love my phone. It keeps me entertained, informed and organized. It never criticizes or passes judgment. It stays with me all the time and is reliable. I can’t say that about too many people.

9. loftspeaker1 says:

It seems that couples don’t communicate much except on social media. I’ve seen many scenarios where everyone in the family is looking down at their phone and not talking at all!
    Please take a look on my article: Deeper Intimacy=Healthier Communication