President Trump

How surprised am I to wake up to the breathtaking news, Donald Trump is our 45th President.

To say I’m stunned is an understatement.

As I wrote to a friend in England, it just goes to show, how many people truly loathe Hillary Clinton, because I don’t feel he was elected from inspiration, but more desperation, needing someone his followers think they can hopefully trust.

The only upside to Mrs. Clinton losing is, if she were elected, they were going to put her through the mill, so perhaps now they’ll let her be, at least I hope they will.

When I think Donald Trump will attempt to fill the shoes of Jefferson, Lincoln and the two Roosevelts, it leaves me in a state of wonder.

As my late, great friend Jackie always said, “when you get lemons, you make lemonade.”

Fellow citizens, expect to make gallons.

This entry was posted in Faith, History, New York City, Politics, writing and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to President Trump

I think you have the emphasis of this wrong. I see Trump’s vote as driven by a loathing of the political status quo, sooner than anything specific to Hillary. We’re suffering Brexit for much the same reasons: it’s not a rejection of the EU so much as a rejection of politicians in general.
    Will anyone listen to the voice of the people on either side of the Atlantic?

Liked by 2 people

• You know Mick, it’s hard not to be as you say, specific to Hillary. I’ve never heard such venom before even from those I know. I voted for her forgiving her for all her alleged larceny, but alas…so many others would not.

I hope he surprises me, truly, but I’m not really expecting it.

• Gail says:

I just heard the analogy to Brexit as well. The question was raised if Trump supporters will have buyer’s remorse.

Liked by 2 people

• I agree with that sentiment. Can’t believe that people picked flash over experience and qualifications but a rejection of something makes sense. I hope we don’t live to regret it. As for Hillary, she’s tough. I expect to see her heading up something somewhere and hopefully enjoying her grandchildren. I admire her stamina.

Without divulging my vote, I will say that I did expect things to go Hillary’s way. Let’s hope that America will thrive under a business leadership.

3. Gail says:

I am in a state of shock as well. I’m not so sure about leaving Hillary alone. Remember, Trump said he’d put her in jail if he was elected.

• Yeah, but now that he is, he may soften. It’s that Pollyanna in me Gail that thinks so.

• Gail says:

On that subject…
        Donald Trump could actually take steps to try to jail Hillary Clinton – The Washington Post

• But I think he won’t. He’ll be a hero to all those who opposed him, because now that he’s won, he doesn’t have to. And here’s something else, he should encourage the powers that be to leave her alone because he stole this from her. This glitzy, real estate guy who is so under the radar business wise, yet managed to get elected to the highest office in the land. It’s the very least he can do Gail, I don’t care what the Washington Post, or any post says.

• Gail says:

You tell him, Susannah. I’m right beside you.

• I’m no politico by any means, but I think that truly. He has zip experience, and for all her so called shortcomings, she’s done a lot. Was there right beside her husband not just as a token first lady, but a force. Senator…Secretary of State. You can say what you want about her, but she’s no lightweight and she never made it about her. Can’t say that about him though. It was all about him. New York City, rightfully so, is very solemn today, as if someone died. And she did.

4. This reminds me of Brexit: shocking, but also not really surprising. I think both cases there were large groups of people who felt completely left behind by contemporary politics and voted for those who promised them they’d make things better. Sadly I don’t think Trump or the UK being outside the EU will help these people. But if people have lost their jobs and a candidate blames others for that, and promises to create jobs, a lot of people will understandably vote for that person, no matter how abhorrent they are.

Liked by 2 people

5. There must have been some really unhappy people and a lot of issues in the US for the outcome to be what it was – it’s such a shock! I called my dad and told him ‘So, President Trump, eh?’ And he was just like ‘you’re kidding. Oh no.’ An American lady works for him and she was devastated, and had even voted for the first time in years simply to negate her mother’s (republican) vote. I don’t know enough about the animosity towards Clinton considering where I’m from. It must have been a really tough choice though for Trump to have won…

I’m just crossing my fingers it doesn’t negatively impact the rest of the world. From Trump’s speech he seemed solely concerned about the American people and ‘making America great again’… all I could hear was ‘America this’ and ‘America that’ – it was so alarming. I suppose that’s why everyone keeps linking it to Brexit. Oh well see how it goes.

• Isak Dinesen wrote in Out of Africa…”the reason God made the world round was, so we couldn’t see too far ahead.” So you’re right, who knows how things will be.

I really thought she’d win, so you see, I was wrong so maybe Mr. Trump…President Trump, will surprise us. Thanks for writing.

• I thought she’d win too – I was certain. You sound very positive, that’s definitely the right attitude to have when times get tough!!

• I’ve learned not to fight what is. He won. So we really do have to hope for the best. There’s no other way to go. I’m sorry for her, but time will tell what she’ll do next and like Kate said, she can do a lot of good, like her husband. No one ever talks about all the good he’s done since he left office. Only his indiscretions are written about…still. Hillary will rally. You’ll see.

6. hocuspocus13 says:

Hillary Clinton lost all on her own

No one else to blame for her loss but Hillary Clinton

Thank goodness the American people did their research on who Hillary Clinton really is

A vile woman who cares about no one but herself

Fact Check
    George Soros Hillary Clinton’s top money man

Fact Check
    Senator Robert Byrd Hillary Clinton’s mentor

Leaked emails from Hillary Clinton and her campaign crew as they called “black people stupid”

And mocked on Mexican’s by calling them “taco bowls”

Hillary Clinton paid her supporters $1500 per person to go to Trump rallies and start trouble

Leaving some bloodied including cops

Oh yes indeed…America has had it’s share of “lemons” with Obama and Hillary Clinton

And it is about time we make that lemonade

It’s about time America starts making and building once again after our current politicians bled the American people dry by sending our jobs to other countries

Last Night Justice Prevailed 󾓦

• So I guess, Mr. Pocus, we know who you voted for. So a congrats is in order. πŸ™‚

• PS Of all the times you’ve visited, it’s the only time you’ve ever commented. That fascinates me actually.

• Wow…I don’t think anyone is blaming anyone for Hillary’s loss. I think we can all agree that she made her bed. However, I do blame Mr. Trump for shining a very bright light on the worst of this country. I also blame him for using his marketing genius to prey on those who actually believe in his ability to right the wrongs. Only time will tell, but think about this…he had the means to build a factory, provide jobs and produce his products right here in the USA and he didn’t …why? Because he wouldn’t make a big enough profit. If he wasn’t looking out for the greater good of this country as a citizen with the means to do so, what is gods name makes you think he will now?
      A billionaire and a millionaire ran for office, the rest of us are just numbers.

Liked by 2 people

• Hear Hear Top. I was just saying to my pal V’s daughter, that no one seems to care about his past performance in business or otherwise. It’s a mystery to me.

I read two books about him, and all the books about her, yet her crimes were the only ones anyone cared about.

What else can I say. I’m still shocked.

7. I wasn’t as surprised as I am disappointed. Once well educated people started saying things like “he won’t be like that if he wins” I knew. As Maya Angelou once said “When someone shows you who they are, believe them.” A 70 year old man isn’t changing, that I will guarantee.
    The division this man has created in our country is reflective of the truth in all of us. I’m on the side of love, peace and prosperity, and I will no longer tolerate less.

A round of gallons on the house!

Liked by 2 people

• I love that Angelou quote that’s become sort of a mantra. I know he has made life miserable for a friend of mine who lives in a building he owns. I know he acted badly with a girl I know.

His behavior wasn’t an issue…the Tweeting…etc. She really has enemies. Read the comment I just received before yours. You can just see the hatred smoke off the page.

8. nikkispeaks says:

You know, the shock wore off at about 3 in the morning. I laid the dark, and thought, this really happened. America shocked me last night. I know she wasn’t likeable, but I thought reason and commons sense would prevail last night. Disappointed isn’t adequate.

The data about exactly who voted for Trump is telling, and I’m sure I’ll be reading think pieces for days. Heck, I need to gather my own thoughts, and feelings about what it says about my country.

And last, I admit I was no fan of hers, but I respect the heck out of her. I feel horrible for her. She has fought so hard for so long, been pulled apart, and treated so unfairly (I think so), and she loses to this type of candida, someone who exhibits so much of the worse in us.

wow. just wow.

• It’s basically how I feel. It wasn’t a love affair but, compared to him, there was no contest. He’s so awful yet, his shortcomings are ignored. We can only hope for the best since, right now there’s nothing else on the table. I appreciate what you wrote.

9. as always, nicely put. Just enough said, just a gracious post, like the author… ❀

10. Ross de Marco says:

Well , President Elect Trump fought a long and vigorous campaign against a vile and very biased media . I think he held up very well , like a champion ! Hillary and Bill Clinton have been mired in muck and scandal for years . He sullied his tenure in the White House in a most sordid way and earned the legacy of impeachment . Hillary squandered a golden opportunity to go down in History as the first woman president solely by her own avarice and betrayal of the public trust .Crime and no punishment? Those are the facts , and perhaps it was for the best . I believe down the road there will be a more principled and honorable woman , more deserving for the title . If Hillary is the best feminism could come up with … Well I’d be disappointed too . People are tired of being lied to , Mr Trumps campaign was driven by a very intense heartfelt grassroots movement who see through the hypocrisy of liberalism . I think he will continue to surprise as he did last night . I pray , in a positive fashion . It’s time for America to stand up and be proud for its exceptionalism and stop apologizing for it .Lets move ahead , Mr Trump will be our 45th president we should all now stand behind him.

• His victory speech left many of his supporters confused. What was all that “we’ll work together” nonsense when he promised to “clear the swamp” in Washington.? Unfortunately, he also left a large group of people vey fearful of their existence here in the land of the free and home of the brave. He created a climate in this country that has divided us right down the middle. He made big promises based on very real fears to a large number of citizens who felt they’ve been wronged. He used his platform to feed those fears with lies to win this election. He is a marketing genius…no denying that one, but will it be enough to unite us as a nation. Only time will tell.

• We must remain optimistic because there is no other choice. Americans feel desperate. Why they felt he was the answer will be a mystery forever. Again, I think we underestimated the loathing for The Clintons.

The hatred throws me, and the gloating.

• For your sake Ross, I hope you’re right about him. And what really surprises me is, since you’re such an avid Christian, your hatred of her that jumps off the page.

People are flawed…and that includes me and you. And why are his crimes less important? He’s a creep.

11. I couldn’t agree more Susannah! I am still shocked and looking for the silver lining in all of these. Yesterday was a very sad day, not only for the US, but for the world. It is my hope that now that he holds the ultimate title that he so long coveted he will realize the need to rethink some of his ideas (instead of craving more power and money). I will never understand how could people ignore his track record and his actions, and buy into all his promises. Well. now is when I realize I will have to accept it without understanding it and move on. I still adore this country and I am grateful to live here! Blessings! πŸ™‚

12. George says:

Maybe he’ll surprise us. One can only hope..:)

13. My current post takes a different light on all this. I hope you will read it.
    Yours made me smile, not laugh, just smile. I don’t know if they will leave Hillary alone.
    My sense of justice (such as it is) says no; they wouldn’t leave anyone else alone; she needs to prove herself legally. However, my post was not about that, but about hope.
    I don’t agree with your statement of the whole election going because of people’s hatred for Hillary. I certainly did not like her and could not in good conscience vote for her; however, I have watched and listened to Mr. Trump as he has staggered through the initial waters of politics, stand firm, want good things for us, and matured here at the end. He will be a good president. I truly feel that. And if you want the fully truth – My feelings: at least it wasn’t Sen. Cruz….

14. jessi says:

I have my own freedom of speech and this is what I am going to say not to be defensive in my opinion…. I believe that people just voted for some one that I cant trust to be my president even though I am still a child I have my own rights I can speak for myself I don’t dislike Trump because my mom dose I dislike Trump for what he said I think we shouldn’t have the type of president that will call other women names such as: pigs, dogs and slobs. I have my own right he says that Megyn Kelly made this all up. Do you really think she would lie? Trump says that “being a dog is a comment” is that really true? NO! Building a wall what a wonderful idea. NOT! Do you think that us Mexicans and Muzlums that are kind and would like this terrorism to stop yes they do..but do you think that Trump will make things better? I have an opinion do you I know he is “our” president now but this little girls dreamy land he is not my president! I will never refer to him as a president ever. I am me and you are you I don’t care what you say about my opinion leave me alone if you hate my opinion. Thanks for reading my opinion check out my blog if you like thank you bye!