Thanksgiving At The Carlyle

k7905334 I’m so annoyed at Camille who was in charge of reservations.

You would think a hotel dining room with a prix-fix menu for 300 bucks would have an extra table, even if it’s in the kitchen.

Am I exaggerating?

Not all that much.

This is why we’re in the bar waiting like hopefuls at a Patti Smith concert.

“How could you have forgotten Camille knowing how quickly the room fills up?”

“I’ve been busy, I told you.  Having your living room, eyes and tires redone all at the same time can cause you to miss a thing or two.”

This did not make me feel any better perched on a stool in my new holiday dress, after having not bought one in three years.  When Madam suggested we go all out in the name of gratitude, I was straplessly in.

I made it a point, three times, of reminding Camille who insisted on making the reservations, to call because I knew there would be no cancellations since it’s a hotter ticket than Hamilton on Broadway.

I’m surprised scalpers aren’t in front of the hotel doing big business. “HOT SEATS…HOT SEATS…WINGS, BREASTS AND THIGHS.”

Wasps turn out for that turkey like resurrected pilgrims clad in moth eaten Chanel with a considerable amount of tweed about to turn.  This is why they have so much extra money for dinner, they never shop and only eat on holidays.  But once again, I’m digressing.

Suddenly without fanfare Camille disappears leaving me stranded like a well-dressed Dickens character. Feeling alone in such an empty room, I hear a little voice say, remember who you’re dealing with here Susannah, so replenish your gloss, smooth out your Armani and stop eating those damned chips.

The maidre d’ appears like an apparition, all smiles and says,”Your friend is waiting for you in the dining room.”

As I gather myself in my silk, navy sheath no one would guess was resale, there she is, all aglow, at the best table in the house.

I smile, thinking, how could I have doubted her, saying nothing, as our waiter politely pulls out my chair.

images-3 images  images-1images-2 images-1  Snoot Family, party of 5, your table’s ready. 🙂 SB

This entry was posted in Fashion, food, friendship, Gratitude, humor, money, New York City, women and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to Thanksgiving At The Carlyle

1. Coyote from Orion says:

Best wishes. Hope it improves

2. 1959duke says:

or bourbon

3. Coyote from Orion says:

Sounds more like a Patty Hearst concert?

The cynic in me can’t help but wonder what it cost her. I guess we’ll never know?
    Glad you got fed anyway. 😉

5. Coyote from Orion says:

Just been to the club for dinner with the folks. Should have remembered this thread 😃🤔

6. Sometimes questions are unnecessary, and this my friend is one of those moments. Eating food with a dear friend while wearing a new dress sounds like a lovely day.
    I love those photos! So funny…just the serious faces crack me up.

7. Coyote from Orion says:

Narnia books. I just saw the final Harry Potter film the other day. Was a bit behind

• Not a follower but Narnia sounds good.

• Coyote from Orion says:

Any recommendations?

• Are you a big reader? I am, and post a reading list twice annually. I LOVE to read. Because of my hearing loss, I don’t watch much TV so books have become very vital to my well being. I like to share what I like.

• Coyote from Orion says:

I read avidly from the start of my schooling and started making my way through American literature at 11. I have read a lot and hold a degree majoring in Political science and History. I had a breakdown at 18 and whilst committed lost the ability to read. I didn’t finish high school because of black Sabbath I guess though reading was still a passion then. I went to university mature age at 25 and aced it. Further medical stuff ups got in the way of my work during that time and some years later I was on medication that had nothing to do with my diagnosis or symptoms and it made reading very difficult. I begged the doctor for help explaining why the treatment was inappropriate. Turned out he has since written his paper about the use of antipsychotics in patients with no diagnosis or symptoms… recently got heard after a big fight and have been getting back to reading again in the last year. Read some Le Carre lately. My battle on this went to 2 federal ministers and they really wanted me to shut up. I figure I have lost so much anyway and endured so much pain and humiliation that I say what I like anyway. I can say I am crazy though it has been interesting over the last decade how subjective my sanity has been depending on the needs of some medical staff at the time. Lol. I love reading for inner peace. Always have. My mother was an alcoholic so reading was safe inside. I write too. Working on another manuscript. Miyomati Musashi had it right ☺

• Wow, such a story. My mother was a drinker too, your tale very familiar. Reading is my mainstay. It’s wonderful to hear you’re reading again.

• Coyote from Orion says:

Thanks for hearing me out on it. New day beginning here. Thanks for the chat. Will definitely be picking up my reading ☺

• It can only makes things better, as I sit here, propped on pillows, reading.

• Coyote from Orion says:

Live music tonight at a friend’s venue. 2nd band starting. A bit Hendrixy a bit Stooges.

• Coyote from Orion says:

Heard a great band my friend has been shooting photos for lately. Best band I have heard in a while. Will probably get some writing done when I get home. Hope all good in NY 😏

Happy Thanksgiving, Susannah. Now how on earth did she arrange not just any table, but the BEST table? I’m going to start charging for my feast – $300 a pop?! I made an extra large turkey with all the trimmings and side dishes. The kids love it because I send containers of leftovers home with them. Sunday will be turkey soup day.

• Turkey Soup Day just may become a national holiday. 300 dollars was poetic license on my part but it was still over the top expensive. Camille’s epitaph will read…-It’s Who You Know. Glad you had a nice day.

9. Hope it was a good Thanksgiving. Ours was hectic and full of noise and fun. Some friends, their three kids (two boys, full of life and energy), a moping teenage girl who is very sweet, a boston terrier, and a mammoth of a dog, 1/2 English sheepdog and 1/2 St Bernard were here. Lots of noise, food and fun… ❤

10. Camille always seems rather larger than life, although to be fair, so do you, in a perfectly wonderful way, of course. 🙂 You make a great duo.

11. Thank goodness the maidre d’ could be bought. And probably not at just any price.