Rain, It’s Just Water

Bill Hicks used to tell me that every time I complained about rain. Of course it was more, it’s just fucking water, but it made an impression, so I try not to let it stand in my way.

That said, I can’t say that for the rest of New York that goes bonkers whenever it pours. Take the subway for instance, that’s packed all day, not just at rush hour. Everyone’s damp dripping on one another umbrellas everywhere. No smiles to be had. As far as courtesy goes, that’s at large too, as you’re pushed and squashed like fish in a barrel.

The other thing is, few people dress for the rain. I’m in my Wellies and a Barbour, meaning you drip dry at every given opportunity. No wonder Manhattan is cranky in their wet socks and sneakers they’ll marinate in all day.

But it’s just fucking water. Yeah, yeah, I know, but short of steering a boat down Lex, no one is prepared.

What are you gonna do?

This entry was posted in humor, New York City and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Rain, It’s Just Water

Susannah, I can handle rain as long as it doesn’t touch my bangs. I’ll let it pour onto my hair, it’s naturally curly and rain can’t hurt it. But when my bangs get wet it isn’t a pretty sight. And they don’t drip-dry in a sightly manor. Keeping my bangs dry is part of America’s beautification project, ha ha!

2. Coyote from Orion says:

When the rain comes… by the Beatles. Very Holden Caulfield whom I consider a Yankee to the Dixie equivalent from Confederacy of Dunces. Either it is just water. It hasn’t hindered me too much sleeping out in it when I have needed to. Nature’s cleansing. Can be a bloody good assistant in circumstances too. The weather’s fine. 🤒😜 NY snow and Bette Davis eyes would be preferable 😇😂

• A Confederacy of Dunces was Bill Hick’s favorite book. Did you already know that? I find your mention of it uncanny.

• Coyote from Orion says:

I got a mention of it and that fact in a WordPress link in the footer of your post. It must be like the Google news articles that get pitched at us

• Wow…I am so cyberly naive.

• Coyote from Orion says:

Good book though. We don’t know what each other has on their display… they keep it that way… divide and conquer… another brick in the wall. Lol 😆😜

• I guess. I do love Ignatius. Have you read it? It’s quite a read. To the think the author died before it was published. He never knew. His mom relentlessly peddled it to publisher after publisher. The thought of it makes me weepy.

• Coyote from Orion says:

Am familiar. Have read. Hence why I made a personal judgement of its literary quality and drew a relationship between it and Catcher in the Rye 😅 I went to an elite school of wankers but the reason I was 2nd in English in my last year before voluntarily leaving the place and a career was because I actually read the set books, enjoyed and retained them. Most of my money grubbing contemporaries who were proud of getting A’s without reading the book because they followed the high price coaching of Oxford fellows who taught us now cheat everyone globally under the guise of groups in your nation like the Carlyle group or are talking about books they never read in the banking district of London… me? I am about to volunteer my time and skills and sympathetic ear to another marginalized… one who has had my crisis intervention employed before. Yep even when I dropped out we all kept our reading up even though most of my mates died back then. Beautiful day ahead 😇😆

• I love to read so I totally get it and admire the desire in you. So many people I know don’t. I’m always mystified by it. How can one live and not read. Sorry about your mates. As you know, I’ve lost mates too. Sigh.

• Coyote from Orion says:

I just have to check myself when I mention a family or professional connection or a book I’ve read etc… and in the next sentence I get asked if I have read it so to speak…. no I am a psychopathic habitual liar.. (lawyer?) Grandfather Coyote was never a suit walker like that… my avatar of coyote is more like Roger Rabbit…. only when it’s funny 🤔🙄😂

• There’s much to say about Roger Rabbit. He was quite the bunny. 🙂

• Coyote from Orion says:

Only when it’s funny 😇😆

• We approve of funny, across the board. 🙂

• Coyote from Orion says:

Brer Rabbit 😅

3. I’m good about rain except for my shoes. I’ve been thinking about getting those Ducks rubbery slipons. I have snow boots but I wouldn’t wear them in the rain because they are too warm.

4. Gail says:

You’re prepared because you came from the CT burbs. New Yorkers just wing it. I’m thinking of Carrie Bradshaw in her Manolo stilettos, rain or shine.

5. Maybe collect it? Think of the savings when it comes to your water bill! 😀

I grew up on the wet side of the country. So glad I moved East.

7. Smiles in the rain mean 2 things. Love is in the air or dry feet.