A Real American Girl Doll

I was in line at Barnes and Noble buying book for Mia, my dry-cleaner’s little girl, when I see another little girl with her dad ahead of me.

No more than 2, hair to her waist, a miniature Latino fashion plate…iridescent white tights, teeny boots, a T-shirt that says, I Love My Daddy, while wee gold hoops glistened in her ears.

And did her daddy love her.  I watched how he never took his eyes away as she stood sweetly by his side waiting to pay for her tiny troll doll she was simply captivated by.

I had to smile, that something so small could make her so satisfied.  She was such a beautiful child, one could only imagine what her mother looked like, though dad wasn’t too shabby either.

The two of them shared big brown eyes the size of saucers and lips like sofa cushions.

Genes never fail to impress me, how they reproduce beauty as if it came off a conveyor belt.

I saw them again by the front door where he was kneeling, buttoning her coat.

It was love at its purest.

I smiled at him, knowing,
he knew, just what I was smiling at.

This entry was posted in Beauty, Books, Family, Fashion, humor, kids, New York City, parents and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to A Real American Girl Doll

1. Coyote from Orion says:

Fantastic. I think any man lucky enough to have kids would do anything for them. I know some don’t. Poor blokes aren’t really men if they aren’t grateful

2. Coyote from Orion says:

I don’t care what culture or politics either. We all want to love and look after our people and we all have a sense of humor

3. Hira says:

I know the feeling, of holding your child hand, fixing his pant or just his tiny little arms wrapped around.
    And every time when am not around my son and I see another child with his parent, I can feel the love. It just radiates, Just the way you have written it here. It brings me smile because I know how much the man loved being father, and the lady loved being the mother!

4. Ross deMarco says:

You are absolutely right – love at its purest – I remember when my first Cara Mia was born I was blown away by the depth of love and thankfulness I had for her! I literally carried her everywhere ! would’nt put her in a stroller , incarried her I just wanted to be close to her . She just got engaged last week , where has the time gone ?? But those four girls – women now – have given me so much joy ! I know I’m blessed . That man you wrote of is in the midst of a wonderful period in his life .Very moving piece Susannah . Merry Christmas .?

5. Ross de Marco says:

☺️

6. Coyote from Orion says:

There are some beautiful people around. The universe has a way of reminding us when we get too complacent either way. Kindness is all we need ask for

7. Her future husband has a hard act to follow ❤

Susannah, although the beauty of the child (and daddy) were nice to see, I think that what drew you to the couple was the sheer adoration the father couldn’t help but show. The way you described them painted a perfect picture.

Hope it’s a love that lasts. A charming tale Susannah.
    p.s. apologies for my AWOL: computing problems 😦

10. Beauty. A subject talked about all too often on FB and the Internet.
    I have my own definition. If a woman (I will talk about women here) is Stunning or Gorgeous, that refers to her looks. But a gorgeous woman can be a B****. so, can a stunning one. However, I consider “beautiful” to be a combination of looks and personality. You can’t truly say someone is beautiful until you watch them a few minutes or get to know them. A plain person can be beautiful when she is so very wonderful in her actions and other non-appearance things.
    So, off on a side – I just meant that I think beautiful would have worked well for this little girl.
    Scott

It seems little girls are forever capturing their Daddy’s hearts.