Playing Camille

I’m standing on the corner of 57th Street and Park sweating like a ram in my long, leather winter coat, waiting for my late, great friend Camille.

We appear to be having an end of the year heat wave I seem to be in denial over.

As I make a New Year’s resolution to start wearing deodorant, something light like Mennen’s Speed Stick, who comes galloping out of Prada like Sectetariat on a spending spree, but Camille.   images-1

“Am I late?  And why is your face all flushed. I’ve told you to stop eating shellfish Susannah, how many times?”

“You’re sleeveless Camille, and it’s January.”

“Not yet it isn’t.  My God, it’s like Palm Beach out here, and I suggest we enjoy it because it’ll be 20 tomorrow.”

Right.

So the Eskimo and the racehorse made their way to the Ritz Carlton Tea Room for spiked lattes, a Camille invention…

coffee and steamed milk, with a hardy shot of rum.

I thought of singing auld lang syne since come Sunday, I’m hanging up my hangovers for good, but why ruin the moment.  However, it was so noisy, I had to ask to leave.

“Oh come on, but it’s so festive.”

“And loud.”  When you’re hearing impaired it’s as if you’re a guest in a beehive, so to keep your sanity, one needs to escape the collective buzz, but unless you’ve experienced it, you just might be a tad uncooperative.

“FUCK SUSANNAH. CAN’T YOU JUST ACT NORMAL FOR ONCE?  Oh shit, I’m sorry. I’m just so on edge after having a fight with EDWARDO.”

“So what else is new?  You two belong in a ring.”

After we got our 22 dollar coffees to go, we ventured to the park for a little girly-girl, tete-a-tete.  images

“So what happened?”

“He’s so damned conventional. He wants to go to Time Square to watch the fucking ball drop. Ugh…so I nicely expressed I didn’t.”

“What did you say exactly?”

“That he should stay home and watch his own two drop since I had no intention of doing that.  He got so pissed, why… I don’t know.”

Trying to point out what I refer to as, THE INAPPROPRIATE, to Camille is rather pointless, so we sat and sipped and sipped and sipped, until she said…

“I know, let’s go to the Carlyle.”

I agreed at once, carrying my coat like a dead animal, because I knew Bemelmans, bless it’s little, overpriced heart, would be air-conditioned.

TAXI!

See ya next year everybody.   images-1

This entry was posted in alcohol, dessert, Fashion, friendship, humor, New York City, sex, women and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Playing Camille

1. Loretta says:

Ha ha, a great end to your ramblings of 2016! But come on, it ain’t exactly beach weather, we are south of you and only a high of 45deg today! I’m thinking the informal tipple had something to do with it?
    Happy New Year!

I do love a good Camille story, Susannah. This was a good one! Weather here has been up and down, but people in Florida think they need to wear shorts and flip flops no matter what time of year it is or how low the temps drop. Not me. I’d rather dress appropriately! Have a wonderful New Year! ~Elle

3. Gail says:

I’ve had the festive-versus-noisy argument with people as well. They don’t get it.

4. Coyote from Orion says:

Hope the new year goes well 🙄

5. Coyote from Orion says:

Thanks. Hope it’s a good night in NY. Take care x

The weather here has been either too warm or cold. I would like it to stay cold for a bit then be comfortably warm. I don’t think that’s asking too much. I have some hearing issues and noisy places are definitely a problem. Sometimes I just nod and smile at what I hope are the appropriate times. Have a good weekend and Happy New Year, Susannah. Teddy and Jack send purrs.

7. This sounds like there is going to be a part II.(I certainly hope so) I completely understand 50 degree weather being sweltering and 45 requiring a parka.
    Happiest 2017 to you ❤

8. Happy New Year, my dear. Glad you could go out for a drink and a tete-a-tete with a good friend. I’m home here at last.

I just finished Hot Mahogany by Stuart Woods. It mentions the Carlyle and Bemelmans quite a bit since one of the main character’s love interests is a singer there. Whenever they entered the premises I pictured you in the shadows taking notes for a scintillating blog entry.
    Here’s to a fabulous and happy New Year!