You Can Never Read Too Much

I had a person, who shall remain nameless, tell me I read too much.

“You’re wasting your freak’in life at that library of yours, you even pay for?  I’ll never wrap my brain around that.”

Is that because you don’t have one?

No, I didn’t say that, my damned Connecticut in play.  It’s the only time I wish I hailed from Jersey, or a mob family.

Try telling Victoria Gotti, she reads too much.

For writers, in particular, reading the prose of others is beneficial.  It’s like watching the Olympics when you have Dickens, Hamill or Doris Kearns in your lap.

Think pretty girls and charming uncles tickling you beneath the chin.

I know so many people who don’t read at all, social networking taking up too much time.  If you’re Tweeting what you had for dinner,  A Movable Feast will sadly fall by the wayside.

How about reading it, then Tweeting how great a book it is by Hemingway, even published after his death.

That’s what I call prolific.

What does prolific mean, my cretin of a critic would no doubt ask.

Like Woody Allen says…

LOOK IT UP.

You’ll have to excuse me now.

Why?

BECAUSE I’M READING…:)

This entry was posted in Books, Connecticut, History, New York City, readng, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to You Can Never Read Too Much

You can never read too much. If you have a book you have a friend. Some people just don’t get it!

• Believe it not, only one out of 10 people read. I like strolling through the kid’s section of Barnes and Nobles. They’re sprawled along the floor like little rug rats in the company of Babar and Dr. Suess. The seeds are being sown while their nannies chat in islandese

I c wot u meen. 😉

Susannah, my middle sister is 9 years younger than me. I was home from college for the summer, basking in the sun while reading. She came up to me and asked, “How can you just sit there and read all the time? Don’t you ever want to get up and do something!”
    The moral of this memory: To a non-reader, sitting and reading isn’t doing anything.

4. Coyote from Orion says:

Nice to hear you Susannah. I aren’t reading enough. Certainly never regret reading what you have to say. A lot of idiots out there my friend. You’re not one of them x

• What kinds words…thank you. I’m such a loner by nature…books keep me in a place where that feels okay. I just reread The Killer Angels over the weekend. I was unwell, in bed…and it was as if an old friend came to visit. I swear it made me well…:)

5. Coyote from Orion says:

I fell for CS Lewis and Aslan as a child.

6. You can never read too much.
    Then
    you have children.
    Then
    you can never read.

7. First you read, then you write!

Liked by 2 people

When I was a kid there was a time we didn’t have TV. That started my reading and love for books. I can’t stand it when I don’t have a book or two or three on the shelf waiting to be read. I feel a bit sad for peeps that haven’t a love for the written word.

9. Truth! I loved reading to my kids the most, and watching their expressions as I gave my best impersonation of a princess or a dinosaur.
    It was very disheartening, yet enlightening to read that our president does not read.

10. I totally agree. I don’t think you can ever read too much! If anything, many people need to read more, maybe then there wouldn’t be such ignorance.

• The other thing about reading is, it’s such a grace. I love strolling through the kid’s section of Barnes and Noble to observe the little readers all sprawled on the carpeted floor books piled high. Our future hopefully with Winny the Pooh and Cat in the Hat at the helm.