She Did Her Best

Every night, before sleep, I recap the day…the ups and downs, peace and war, the good, bad and the ugly.

I find it helps keep things in their right prospective.

At it’s conclusion I always end with…you did your best….you did your best.

Even when the bank teller was rude, and a woman blabbed on her cell as you drank coffee at The Barnes and Noble Cafe.

When that door slammed in your face, and a well dressed man jumped in front of you on the train platform, causing you not to get on.

The emails unanswered, the fees you can’t collect.  The agent you caught in a fib, if exposed, from embarrassment, will cease being your agent.

The editor not taking your call…criticism, even from friends.

Those who no longer read your blog, along with crass comments justly deleted in defense of one’s own views.

A dog walker ignoring a Yorkie caught in his sweater leg you gently try telling, staying on his phone, ignoring you too. Your long time ear doctor who knows, better than anyone, if he speaks to you with his back turned, you simply can’t hear him.

Toss in a president who doesn’t make you feel safe, combined with the casual hubris and discourtesy running wild through the course of the day…by the grace of God, not sending you to the nearest bar…

and as my lids begin to close, a weary body held in my own arms, I can truthfully say…

I did my best.

This entry was posted in alcohol, Faith, humor, New York City, words, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to She Did Her Best

Doing our best is a life well lived. Good for you!

2. Coyote from Orion says:

Can certainly relate to the principles of your message. May your God bless you and keep your loved ones and the beautiful strangers safe.

That’s all you can do – your best. ~Elle

4. Gail Kaufman says:

That’s how I feel about parenting – I did my best – as I continuously mull over what I would have done differently, even though they turned out just fine.

I like the sentiment. BUT maybe I’ve been a black belt too long: it’s never enough for me. So I’m asking if I’ve used the best tactics whilst trying my best; if I need to change my approach; if I’ve failed to understand the facts. Yes, I know, I over-analyse!

6. Oh! “Your long time ear doctor who knows, better than anyone, if he speaks to you with his back turned, you simply can’t hear him.” <== I always react badly and seemingly what's the word?… when your reaction is waaay out of proportion for the offense? Anyway… I do that. And then I feel bad. But I've told everybody a million times I can't hear them and they still keep doing their thing and talking to me with their backs turned and how in bloody hell am I supposed to hear them? And how many times do I have to keep repeating myself? Am I to tattoo the words on my forehead so it finally enters their brains? Yeah, that.

7. Sounds like a bad day for sure. Doing your best is all you can do and maybe tomorrow will be better or at least have less stressors.

8. Hal & Kate says:

So sweet!

Hal Rubenstein from my iPhone

Susannah, I’ve always told my four children that all I ask is for them to do their best. No one can ask for more. I also constantly remind them that no one is perfect and we all make mistakes. When they reached their teen years, a time when so many friend’s parents begin to seem more ideal, I began telling them that as a parent I will make mistakes, but I will always do my best and what I think is best at the time.
    So interesting that ‘I did my best’ is also one of your refrains. Sometimes, when I feel like slacking, I pretend that my mother (deceased) is watching. Amazing how that thought makes me do a thorough job.

• I think we are too hard on ourselves. Can only speak for myself, but some of the things placed in front of me during the course of the day are daunting…the world has gotten so cold and thoughtless. To make it to your bed still intact is quite a feat

10. Some days I feel I’ve done my best, other days I’m looking for my phone while I’m talking on it. So far they seem to balance out. It’s all a balancing act in this big circus we call life.

Liked by 2 people