He Watched Me Like A Hawk

I’m coming off the running track early one morning, when I see a hawk gazing at me from a tree.  He’s huge, with talons that look professionally done by a Romanian woman, possibly called Inga.

hawk-profile-debra---vatalaro-1He’s so homely he’s handsome, like most of the men I know, in full swagger even at rest.

I expect him to take flight when he sees me, but he doesn’t, holding his ground as if to say, sorry baby, but I got here first.

He’s majestic alright and knows it, the Errol Flynn of hawks, the way he preens his feathers, shakes them a bit, to make sure he’s noticed.  How could you not…he’s the size of a toddler, solid as a ship.

I know he’s looking for breakfast the way his head keeps circling on a reconnaissance mission to appease his flesh preferred appetite.  It’s too bad I can’t interest him in a vegetable, or at least an omelette, inviting him to dine with me to save some creature a grisly fate.

“So Mr. Hawk, I’m just wondering…”

“You can call me Hawk.”

“So Hawk, would you like to come to The Three Guys with me for some eggs…what do ya say? Toast, home fries. I’ll treat.”

He scratches his chin with his index talon before saying,”Ya know, that’s a mighty nice  offer, but I have my heart set on a nice rat this morning.  You know how it is when you get a craving.”

“Yeah, I sure do,” I say, remembering those Mallomars I had before going to bed.

“Ya know, if you were just a little smaller and not so bony, I could really go for you.”

This is when I pop out of my sick reverie, and hustle on home.

This entry was posted in animals, humor, nature, New York City, Women and men and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to He Watched Me Like A Hawk

1. Such a New York-ish hawk.

There is a red tail hawk that visits my balcony. He is not tall sort of short and stocky. There is another that I think is a marsh hawk. He is very big but not heavy like the red tail. His feet are as big as Teddy’s head. I have tried to get pictures of them but they are camera shy.

When we set out on this journey
    There were no doubts in our minds
    We set our eyes to the distance
    We would find what we would find
    We took courage from our numbers
    What we sought we did not fear
    Sometimes we’d glimpse a shadow falling
    The shadow would disappear
    But our thoughts kept returning
    To something the boy said
    As we turned to go
    He said you’ll never see our faces again
    You’ll be food for a carrion crow

Every step we took today
    Our thoughts would always stray
    From the wind on the moor so wild
    To the words of the captain’s child
    Something the boy said

In the circles we made with our fires
    We talked of the pale afternoon
    The clouds were like dark riders
    Flying on the face of the moon
    We spoke our fears to the captain
    And asked what his son could know
    For we would never have marched so far
    To be food for a crow

Every step we took today
    Our thoughts would always stray
    From the wind on the moor so wild
    To the words of the captain’s child
    Something the boy said

When I awoke this morning
    The sun’s eye was red as blood
    The stench of burning corpses
    Faces in the mud
    Am I dead or am I living?
    I’m too afraid to care, I’m too afraid to know
    I’m too afraid to look behind me
    At the feast of the crow
    We spoke our fears to the captain
    And asked what his son could know
    For we would never have marched so far
    To be food for a crow

Liked by 2 people

I love the crows and hawks. We have plenty of both around here.
    I’ll be gone for the next couple of weeks on vacation. Didn’t want you to think I was ill or something.