Give Me Your Tired…Your Poor…Your Detained

It’s no secret Donald Trump, the bible still warm from his oath of office, proceeds minus tact nor diplomacy.  I attribute this to not caring what others think of him, an odd trait for any president to have.

I’ve been thinking a lot about his recent immigration order, suspending entry of all refugees to the United States for 120 days, barring Syrians indefinitely, that understandably has the world in an uproar.

I’ve learned, rather than scream and criticize, to consider and weigh.  It’s better for one’s blood pressure.

He’s sending a message to the terrorist group, ISIS and it’s ardent followers…

We are not going to be blindsided again by your hatred of us.  We, from now on, will be vigilant and ready, make no mistake.

It’s bewildering to say this hasn’t always been the case.  When The Trade Center was attacked the first time on February 26, 1993 leaving 6 people, including a very pregnant woman, dead and 1,042 injured, we were anything but ready.  You would think we would have suited up then, but instead, trained the men who did succeed 8 years later to fly the planes that killed nearly 3000 Americans.

I’ve often asked myself why this was so…why we didn’t take better care of ourselves during the coming attractions of what was to come.

I will never forget September 11, 2001 as long as I live, doesn’t matter how much time passes.  Now I understand how people still relive the Holocaust because the horror never fades.

I can still hear the bray of bagpipes at the countless funerals a block from where I lived.  The image of the little boy holding his dad’s police cap as the casket mewled by.

The burnt smell…all that was left of those innocent people, perishing that day, creating the biggest funeral pyre in U.S. history.

Don’t misunderstand….I don’t approve of Donald Trump or the way he’s using the innocent to make his point.

I wish there was another way.

But I understand it.

I was here on September 11…and so was he.      s_a04_0rtrmnrg-930x675

This entry was posted in Books, History, media, money, New York City, Politics, violence, war and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Give Me Your Tired…Your Poor…Your Detained

1. Hal & Kate says:

Poignant! Well written! Very proud of you Hal

Hal Rubenstein from my iPhone

2. Coyote from Orion says:

Well said. September 11 2001… the day our lives all changed. So did my career. Don’t know if I have rested since. Don’t care if I ever do. I live and I serve. God bless all you great Americans which in my experience and my family’s is just about all of you. Blessed be

• What was it like watching from Australia? Is that where you were in 2001?

• Coyote from Orion says:

I got home from kung fu training about 11pm. I had a foreign policy lecture on first thing the next day. I often slept with the radio on. At first they were saying it was a light plane. I didn’t sleep and listened all night as the world changed. As I got into uni the next day the world would never be the same again. I had already faced life and death with the loss of my brother and mates. I have no compromise or excuses for the harm of innovents or people unawares with no connection to the issue… under any circumstances. I would give my life before harming or terrifying a woman or child. Many people think themselves intelligent when they trade their souls

• I also thought it was a small, private plane at first. I was exiting my neighborhood coffee shop when someone said,” a plane just hit the World Trade Center.” I remember envisioning a tiny two seater, the kind of plane Patsy Cline, the singer died in. Was I wrong.

• Coyote from Orion says:

Nowadays there is so much junk mail… it might be the information age as we have gone from Pisces to Aquarius… and really our lives are about filtering good information from junk. Quantity we have no shortage of… great for that 16 year old Nigerian hacker who wants to help me with my loneliness

• Lots of data…too much information unsorted never knowing what’s true and what isn’t. No integrity to separate it.

3. Tenacity T says:

Very well written and more importantly the thought that was put into a decision you don’t agree with.

4. Duke says:

If you go back and read the order it is not a moratorium on all refugees. It pertains to those 7 countries. Those of us who were around in 1968 look at some of this and just shake our heads. In 1968 Robert F. Kennedy was murdered, Dr. King was murdered,the Vietnam War was tearing the country apart, the democratic national convention in Chicago was filled with hate and Mayor Richard Daley Sr turning his thugs lose on the protesters and that doesn’t even get into the issue of the 4 murders of students at Kent State. That was also the year that Richard Nixon was elected President. America has always struggled with this issue. The way it was handled wasn’t the best. Everybody needs to take a deep breath it’s going to be ok. The country has been through worse and it will get through this stuff. Just be thankful that your not living with the constant possibilities of all out nuclear war.

• I know of the 7 Muslim countries. I felt the order didn’t much matter, it was the idea of it all. I like very much what you wrote. Being afraid is a terrible thing, whether it’s of nuclear war, suicide bombers or the absence of liberty. Thanks for writing.

• Duke says:

These issues are never easy. It could have been done better in dealing with the nuts and bolts better. There was a time that after the evening news on the east coast was over. Members of Congress had time to spend with families and members of the opposite party to get to know each other as people. President Ronald Reagan and then Speaker Tip O’Neil would have a couple of cold ones and discuss what they could get done. Now it’s all about money. Trust me there are people over 50 who are scared to death as they look toward the future. Many are looking at the real possibility of becoming homeless.

• That’s quite grim. And I can’t imagine The Donald sitting around having a couple cold ones with anyone.

5. Pingback: Give Me Your Tired…Your Poor…Your Detained – Writers View Of The World

6. Duke says:

You are right I couldn’t picture having a cold one with President Trump. They have done studies that show for many men the question comes down to this. Can I picture sitting down and having a cold one with this person for the next 4 or 8 years? I think one of the big mistakes President Obama made was that he was in the countries face everyday.. James Baker who worked in the Reagan administration said the key with Reagan was that he was only before the American people on things that were important. Baker said that it help make it a special thing when he spoke even though you may not agree with his policies. To be honest like many Americans would have preferred a third choice.

• Do you ever read Peggy Noonan on Saturday in the Wall Street Journal? She was one of Reagan’s speech writers. I really love how she writes. It’s on the Opinion Page, the last column. She’s a huge Reagan fan, was also a consultant on the TV show, The West Wing, a favorite of mine.

7. I think many on both sides agree. It’s just the wAy he’s gone about things and his narcissism. I am just grieved that the most powerful nation in the world doesn’t care two cents about the character of its leader.

• I’m there with you. Jefferson and Teddy sat where he’s sitting. They were flawed in their ways too, but they occupied that chair with grace and integrity. Terrorism disturbs me greatly. Hate feeling like a sitting duck. He of all people, that’s the bizarre part, is the one standing up in his inimitable fashion. He’s like a four year dream we’re in the process of having.

8. This is a great piece. For me, it’s the increased anxiety, fear and divide in this country that his decisions are bringing to fruition that concern me much more than an anticipated terrorist attack. When we start hating our neighbors, coworkers, friends and family over nothing more than a disagreement over a tweet from a narcissist in the middle of night …. then Huston, we have a serious problem.

9. Gail Kaufman says:

It is good to read a different perspective, Susannah, and I share your frustration and fear, but I am not feeling any more protected by this Executive Order. From what I heard and read, the seven countries on the ban list does not fully address the threat. For example Saudi Arabia is not on the list. According to CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/30/middleeast/the-us-ban-why-these-seven/), “The executive order mentions the failure to properly scrutinize visa applications of the 9/11 hijackers, but most of them were Saudis.” In addition, I believe Trump’s poor handling of international relations puts us more at risk then ever before.

• Oh dear…none of that sounds too comforting. Trump does nothing daintily. I think we need to just accept that since we’re going to see that again and again. His executive order everyone is so against, in my humble opinion, was a warning shot across the bough. Something had to be done. Will it deflect future actions to hurt us? I don’t know. I remember when Teddy Roosevelt sent our fleet around the world during peacetime as a warning…don’t get any ideas. I want these people to hesitate…I want us to be more vigilant. I want to ride the train again at rush hour without feeling afraid. I’m afraid. I’ll admit it. September 11 is a part of me Gail. It’s simply my truth.

10. Gail Kaufman says:

It’s part of me too. In August 2011, I was downtown with my son who was 11 at the time, and we considered going to the WTC before heading home. I decided, not today; we can always come back. Little did I know there wouldn’t be a second chance. Now my other son works in NYC, and my heart skips a beat every time the news reports another threat. The point I am making is I do not think the current administration is presenting a viable solution and before we rally behind him, some of us need to him to answer questions about his strategy…and I don’t mean on Twitter.