Valentine’s Day 2017

images-2I always made fun of Valentine’sy Day, but don’t anymore.

It’s just a Hallmark holiday, I’d say, love has nothing to do with it.

Since then, I see, love has everything to do with it, even if it comes long-stemmed in an overpriced box, since it’s so needed in what seems to have become, such a loveless world.

I made cards for all my neighbors I’ll leave by their doors with little boxes of candy hearts Β saying things like, Be MineYours Truly and Be True.Β conversation-heart-cookies-cakes-valentine-day

The doormen are getting lollipops that say LOVE on them, tied with bright red ribbon.

There’s an older woman on the 12th Floor, that rarely comes out, who will find a pink rose on her doorstep.

And Teddy, the shaggy dog in the next building, has a heart cookie coming, made of beef.

Someone, who will remain nameless, said how silly and stupid my frilly gestures are, as he so snidely put it.

You see, that’s my point, the one I didn’t get right away.

Love is kind…Love is inspiring…

it’s fuel for our hearts in any way it comes.

And there’s nothing silly, stupid or frilly about it.

So as far as my pal goes, who thinks I’m such a blazing asshole…call me crazy, but I send love your way, all the same, cause you’re such a little cranky monkey. Β images-1

This entry was posted in Love, New York City and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Valentine’s Day 2017

1. Coyote from Orion says:

Hope you’re well today Susannah x

Love is giving a part of your heart to your neighbors.

I wonder whether the whole fiasco is not more about cruelty than love: another excuse to flex a competitive muscle. I am minded of the Janis Ian lyric:
    I learned the truth at seventeen
    That love was meant for beauty queens
    And high school girls with clear skinned smiles
    Who married young and then retired
    The valentines I never knew
    The Friday night charades of youth
    Were spent on one more beautiful
    At seventeen I learned the truth

Happy Valentine’s Day, Susannah. I bet you warmed the 12th floor lady’s heart and brought happiness that will last for quite a while. Funny how little acts of thoughtfulness often have more meaning than the biggest grandiose gesture.

5. Gail Kaufman says:

Love the monkey-hug image!

Acts of kindness show love and that’s what’s needed now and forever! Happy late Valentines Day to you Susannah. I know your gestures brought smiles to many and that’s what counts! ~Elle

7. Love is love! It comes in all shapes and sizes ❀
    Leaving love on a doorstep makes my heart warm.

8. That’s wonderful, Susannah. It’s little gestures like that that can make someone day or week, or even their year. Trust me. πŸ™‚