Squirrel Life

Have you ever watched squirrels in action?

I’ve decided they’re great teachers, the way they conduct themselves, so independently of their fellow creatures.  You never see them steal food from the birds, or interrupt when they’re in a group.  And their work ethic is to be admired.

How industrious are they.

They’re always busy, either burying nuts or unearthing them, sharing with one another. You never see them fighting over whose nut it is.

They also make time for fun, chasing each other, playing tag.  Sometimes I even think they’re practicing yoga…upward facing squirrel…down squirrel…plank, naked of course.  Could they be closet nudists out of the closet?

And of course they have a very healthy sex life without guile or shame since, they’ll go at it right in the open as if to say, it’s a natural act…

I’m a squirrel…I’m proud…say it loud.

Kinda stole that from singer, James Brown, who practically had a harem himself, so I don’t think he’d mind.

Squirrels remind me to be happy with what I have, remember to exercise, and to live in the moment.

Yes, they’re great teachers alright.

Nookie at sunrise is suddenly sounding pretty good to me.   images

This entry was posted in animals, humor, nature, New York City, sex and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Squirrel Life

1. Rubenstein, Hal says:

Sweet

2. I love them and enjoy their antics. One guy in my neighborhood was shooting them because they nested in his chimney. I suggested he get a chimney cap and that took care of everything. We need to learn to live with wildlife if you buy a house next to a wildlife preserve. You share the glorious Central Park with them.

3. Coyote from Orion says:

Was fascinated by them when I was over there. Red and grey ones. They were numerous too.

4. You’ve opened my eyes. I never thought much about squirrels. I shall watch them when we begin eating on the porch again, and I’ll think of you. You have city squirrels, and we have their country cousins.

5. My neighbor feeds them peanuts every day. They have trained her to be at the window by 7:00. If she’s not on time they knock … literally. They tease Peanut & Landon by walking very slow on the deck so they bark their faces off. I swear I saw them giving the finger as they ran away.

Liked by 2 people

6. Soul Gifts says:

Awww – I loved to feed the squirrels when we lived in Finland. We used to leave nuts all along the fence railing for them.

I watched a BBC documentary that said squirrels constantly steal from others’ nut hoard. Indeed they have developed a whole host of tactics to disguise where their nuts are buried.

Susannah, I love watching their hijinks, too. They’re also very smart.
    Twenty years ago we raised a litter of baby squirrels. Their home had been logged and they were found inside a fallen tree much later. Our kids bottle fed them until they could eat on their own. When it was time to release them, they stayed nearby for a few months and ate the food we left out. Their great-great grandchildren still frolic in our trees.

I bought H a squirrel feeder for his birthday because while feeding the birds everyday the squirrels rob the bird feeders. I thought they deserved a feeder of their own! And it will provide us with lots of entertainment! ~Elle

Before I moved to my condo I watched the squirrels from my apartment windows. But the trees outside my windows now are way below me and I don’t see many squirrels. I miss them.