Thongs, Laundry and the Ramones

I send my washing out, despite now having a lovely laundry at my disposal in the basement of my new building.

Old habits die hard, what can I say?

Jolly Chan’s, though he died 20 years ago and the business has changed hands a good 17 times, is still who separates my whites.

Carlos is the new frontman, and not a big fave of mine.

Curt and sassy in his Ramones tight T-shirt, not even knowing who the Ramones are, or were, for that matter, and images could just use a good smack.

It all started when I asked to have a button sewn and he wanted to charge me 15 bucks.

“15 BUCKS…ARE YOU KIDDING?”

“EH, LADY, YOU LIVE LIKE, ON MODISON OVENUE, LIKE YOU CAN PAY,” Joey Ramone heaving heavily on his chest while he says this.

Things aren’t always what they seem, so even though on paper I looked like an Astor, it wasn’t quite that way, but that wasn’t the point anyway.  Who was he, the little Mexican jumping bean, to say that to me.  Was I politically incorrect just then?

GOOD!

“You know Carlos, I’m a very good, longtime customer and you should treat me that way.”

“If you no like, go someplace else.”

No, I no like, but held my tongue since, I do like how they care for my things.

Our latest altercation was about a thong found in my bag that wasn’t mine, dutifully bringing it back.

“Carlos, this does not belong to me,” I said, holding it up like a parachute.

“You sure?”

“Look at it, it’s huge, and what’s it doing in my bag?  Everyone’s laundry is supposed to be done separately.”

“It’s jess a mos-take. Got mixed up…jess keep it.”

“Keep it?”

It so happened to be a La Perla thong despite it’s size, but wearing someone else’s undies, let’s face it, doesn’t hold much appeal.  Then again, I could have the one made into two… hmm.

“Carlos, what would you charge to alter these?”

Before he could answer, I looked at Joey Ramone who I swear winked.

“What about 15 bucks?”

Old habits die hard, what can I say?    07ramones-smiles-copy-master768-v4

Rock On Boys…wherever you are.

This entry was posted in Fashion, humanity, humor, music, New York City, words and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Thongs, Laundry and the Ramones

1. What effrontery! What an attitude! I cackled that this business had changed hands a good 17 times. It doesn’t matter where he came from. He’s a brassy New Yorker now. And you are the classic New Yorker in knowing how to handle him.

Liked by 2 people

2. Coyote from Orion says:

Apparently we are alway 20-30 years behind you guys…. yep I feel the pattern. Thanks for the heads up. If he gets any worse let me know and I will wear the damn thong for him and his missus.

3. Steve says:

The man who ran the laundry was tired, and decided to wash his hands of the business.

4. Ross de Marco says:

Five bucks would have been plenty ! That Carlos needs to be sedated – permanently !

15 bucks?!! I must increase my prices a bit. When I have to sew a button I usually add it to the total at no charge. But altering a thing would be lots more! Can that even be done? This was funny, Susannah. ~Elle

Anyone who can invite a customer to go elsewhere, is like a turkey with an advent calendar, i.e. his days are numbered.
    I have never used a laundry service. I can’t imagine how that feels. Rather like a trip to the dentist?

Susannah, it sounds to me like they don’t really separate the loads. But it’s such an ordeal and a pain to find a new vendor for anything.
    Fifteen dollars for sewing a button on? I think he was taking you to the cleaners! I might have to submit my resume and snag that button-sewing-on job. Could you pick me up a job application next time you’re in there?

8. For $15/button, I could go into the button sewing business!

9. Honest mistakes…like where I thought you were talking about “Everybody Likes Raymond” Ramones, but now that I think about it, they may be the “Barones”. Anyway, good story. You had the frontman down to a tee.
    Scott

10. Oh, I have the perfect come back for Carlos. “You sir, are the human version of period cramps.” I’ve been waiting for perfect opportunity to slam someone with that gem.

11. years ago i wrote this about the ramones…the paul mccartney/ phil specter connection i hope you’ll find interesting jm