The Night Shift

Once again I’m on the train after a less than stellar day’s work, my spirits flagging.  A young woman gets on with four boys ages ranging 12 to 3, lined up like a little platoon.

I notice a middle-aged man scolding her for something, perhaps for pushing a bit, but hey, they’re kids, and she needs to make sure they’re all accounted for especially during rush hour.

The car is packed though I have a seat, looking at the youngest boy who was more than sweet in his little striped T-shirt, his face the color of cream, so I say, “Would you like to sit?”

The mother immediately says,” Don’t you get up for him.  He can stand.”

The boy looks at me as if to say, I could use a lawyer on this.

I smile. “He’s little,” I say, “let him sit.”

He climbs onto the seat like it’s a pony, arranging himself, grinning at his brothers grinning at him.  His mom pulls out a gadget that has a computer game he starts up with the grace of a Steve Jobs.

“He’s smart,” I say to the mother, whose exhausted face suddenly takes on the same smile I see emanating from her kids.

I then notice a shift in me where I no longer feel low and unworthy, like I’m worth ten cents a pound, after the way I was treated by some co-workers who are not too comfortable with my hearing loss.

My random act of kindness, forgetting about wounded feelings, was my martini, straight up, in a crystal glass.

Like St. Francis, the Elvis of Saints, said…

“Receiving is in the giving,” and he sure was right about that.

This entry was posted in Faith, Family, humanity, kids, Love, New York City and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to The Night Shift

1. Kate Howell says:

You’re a wonderful person, really. Hope the rest of the week goes well Hal

Hal Rubenstein from my iPhone

2. Good kids always make you laugh.

3. Coyote from Orion says:

All kids are smart up until the point some bastard adult bullies and exploits them. They should play Pink Floyd’s The Wall at all schools… or they shouldn’t. I can still hear Jerusalem being sung in our memorial hall every morning and see the face of my fellow student (known for gut chilling acts in the boarding house who is very publicly destroying his elderly father through the courts these days. Nothing holy about religious pomp…. kids and animals tend to keep it honest and simple… except when they lie…. which sometimes is funny too.

4. After following you for a few weeks, I’d say it wasn’t a random act of kindness at all. It was your habitual kindness that came out. You are really something out of the ordinary!

It is better to give than to receive. Giving raises your spirits and self-doubt then runs out the door. You are the most giving person I know, Susannah, though it’s only cyberly… 😉

Yep, when you give you get. Not always right away but at some point…

7. People love compliments, or those of their children…all that was so nice of you. your co-workers lose a couple notches from me.

Mothers and children! From every logical point of view, breeding is just a mistake: demands on time, bodily resources, economics, they all say “NO!”. But you only have to witness the fulfillment to decide that logic does not impinge.

You have a way of bringing out smiles in those around you, Susannah. And the older (and wiser) we get, the more we recognize the truth of “Receiving is in the giving.”

10. It’s interesting how being nice to others actually helps us feel better. Must be part of our DNA. If only we would give it a chance regularly think of how much nicer the world would be for it? Susannah, this sounds like something your co-workers should try doing. :O)

11. Making someone smile after having a bad day yourself? Oh, that my friend is a double martini at best! I can only hope your behavior was contagious to those who witnessed that kindness.