Best Story of the Week

There I am, en route to the ATM, my checking account, due to the season, on life support, trying so hard to mind my own business, when, in my hawklike eyeline, what do I see?

A mother yelling at her little girl.

I whisper to myself…Susannah keep going…JUST KEEP GOING…BUT…

that little face, stops me in my tracks.

She’s 5 or 6, in a little red, plaid dress and white tights, Mary Janes on her teeny feet, the same way my mother dressed me.

Alright God, what are you up to now, you little prankster? to quote Anne Lamott.

You see, when I was her age, no one ever cared when I cried either, and as I see it, it’s the only way a child that small can communicate, through her tears, her language till she’s graced with words.

So, a strange calm comes over me (boy was mom lucky), and stop (like you didn’t know that), smile and say in the softest of tones, as if I were channeling Mary…

“You know, I wasn’t lucky enough to have children, let alone a sweet little girl like yours…(who stops crying by the way…yes, honey, your, though nuttier than a fruitcake, fairy godmother is here, have no fear), so for me, and women like me…have patience with her…she’s just little, and we were little once too.”

Now before she could hit me, I run away.  Just take off down Park, like a shot.  I’m no fool.

Cut to…15 minutes later.

The doorman on that corner I see most mornings calls out to me,” What did you say to that lady?”

“Why? Did she hit her kid?” I say, horrified.

“No, she hugged her, then started to cry.”

Guess who starts to cry then?

The doorman says, “What’s goin on.  All you women are cryin?”

“Oh ya know how it is,” I say, “tis the season after all.”

Each time I see a little girl
Of five or six or seven
I can’t resist a joyous urge
To smile and say
For little girls get
Bigger every day
They grow up in
The most delightful way.
Those little eyes
So helpless and appealing
When they were flashing
Send you crashing
Through the ceiling

This entry was posted in Faith, Family, grace, humanity, humor, kids, New York City, parents, women, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Best Story of the Week

“without them, what would little boys do?” 😉

Susannah, you have a gift of knowing the right things to say. I bet that mom will think of your words in the future whenever she is frustrated with her daughter. You didn’t just make their Christmas season more loving, you’ve probably changed the dynamics of their relationship forever with patience, love, and attention. The best gift anyone could give or get.
    I’m one of those that usually sticks my foot in my mouth., so I really admire your ability. I always think of the right thing to say later; too late.

• Oh Skinny. You flatter me. It really just comes from having a self-absorbed mother who just didn’t care all that much. I feel so much for little kids. I do know motherhood can be challenging but it’s part of the deal. Thanks.

3. Ross de Marco says:

Amen to that !

4. Ross de Marco says:

Yes and another 18 month old who currently tugs my heart !

5. You know the right thing to say to help ease the frustration that mama was having. I am not very patient so it’s fortunate I only had cats. Of course with them, I have all the patience in the world!

Most of us just think the words but don’t say them. Yay for you who speaks up!

7. Another beautiful story from the city! You have a precious gift of connecting with people in need.

8. edwardcres says:

There are times when you make Joan of Arc and Mother Theresa look like a couple of hookers.