Best Story of the Week

Who said New York’s humanity is down a quart?

OOPS, it was me.

Well, I was humbled when a little old lady was sitting on the step inside the subway rummaging through her purse. I didn’t think much of it at first, but after refilling my MTA Card proceeding to leave, it was then it hit me something wasn’t quite right.

She was a pretty lady in her late 70s, dressed in cords and a nice sweater beneath a lavender peacoat with a peacock pin on it’s collar. She looked like Spring.

“Ma’am, are you okay?” I gently asked her, noticing how her hands shook. “Did you lose your card?”

She was so discombobulated she couldn’t even answer, so I offered to put her through the turnstile. She dug out a Visa Card and said, “No, no, I’ll just buy a fare from the man in the window.”

“You can only use a credit card in the machine,” I told her. “Have you used the machine before?”

She shook her head no. “Okay, I’ll help you, but I really don’t mind treating you to a ride. God knows, people have done it for me. I’ll bet you left your card at home. I’ll just bet.”

So she finally says okay, when a well dressed man already waiting for the train hollers, “Come on, I’ll treat her.”

Then another man comes up behind us and says, “Oh no, let me.”

I looked at this woman who had the face of a saint and said, “Wow, must be that lavender coat you’re wearing, you have all these knights in shining armor, with Metrocards.”

Then a preppie looking high school boy came bounding down the steps and yelled, “Gram, so glad you’re still here…you forgot your card on the kitchen table.”

You never saw anyone smile so big and sigh so loudly.

The first man said, “Don’t worry, we would have seen her home if you hadn’t come.”

The kid, his hair all mussed scratched his head before kissing his Gramma, who happily ran to make the train.

I was so impressed with humanity at that point, I feel as though I owe it an apology.

This entry was posted in Family, grace, humanity, humor, kids, money, New York City, travel, women and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Best Story of the Week

Beautiful story, Susannah. Keep them coming.

2. Hira says:

Is this a real incident? Beautiful ☺

3. This renews my faith in humanity (which is at an all time low!).

4. Michael W Feddersen says:

Susannah,

You are such a great story teller, you make truth look like fiction.
    I drive truck in the northeast mainly. When I was younger I always heard how rude people were on the east coast. When I got here I couldn’t find them, well I did run across 3, across, not over. 😉
    My truck is roughly 70 feet long, it’s not nimble. But when I want to change lanes I would prefer to be in the eastern part of the country.

Mike

P.S. Life magazine has a special on Audrey, 25 years later. I tried sending the cover photo to you, but I could not find a link. :/

5. That’s the one great thing I love about people, nearly all people. Given the chance (especially to prove you wrong) will go out of their way when you least expect it.
    Scott

6. That was a beautiful story about beautiful people. It could be, the men stepped up to the plate after they saw you reaching out to the woman.

7. joanneolson says:

Go Gramma, go grandson. Indeed the story of the week. What I miss most about living in Manhattan is that gritty, close connection with others. Not the same in Florida (everyone is in a car) but today as I stopped to stretch on the Riverwalk, a man whom I regularly exchange “good morning with” stopped to ask if I was ok. Later with that memory, I drove a fellow bridge player to the hospital and stayed until his son arrived. Kindness can be contagious. Thank you Susannah for regularly setting kindness in motion.

8. Alva Chinn says:

Now this is so spot on you have no idea!!! “The kindness of strangers…” Tennessee Williams used this to inform us in Streetcar, but talk of kindness and experiencing some this week with men holding doors. So in-spite of the chaos we are being bombarded with daily and way too negative ‘news’; there is hope, peace in being present, people being shown to behave heinously and outed publicly; your story touches our heart strings with compassion and the love of family!!! Thanks again Susannah for keeping it real.

9. Gail Kaufman says:

That is amazing. Has NYC been bitten by the love bug?

10. There still are good people in this world. :O)

“Heartening” is the word that springs to me. Many thanks Susannah.

12. Nothing fills my heart more than witnessing humanity, even if it’s through your eyes. Knowing it’s still alive and well makes me breathe a little easier.
    Ps. Those Knights in shining armor had nothing on her Prince.

13. It’s heartwarming when we come across this type of random kindness. Purple is a royal color. She must have looked queenly. 😍