A Date Which Will Live In Infamy…9/11/2001

One of the most famous quotes in American history by President Franklin Roosevelt, coined after the bombing of Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, can more than apply to what happened on a tranquil Tuesday, 17 years ago today.

When I went to the 9/11 Museum, one of the many things leaving an indelible impression, were the pictures on the wall of all 13 hijackers…4 inches wide, 6 inches tall…who were responsible for ending, and changing so many lives.

The curators did it modestly, so not to anger nor insult, but clearly felt the need to include them as the architects if you will, of one of the darkness days the world has ever known.

A friend of mine was ranting about stronger immigration laws, supporting President Trump across the board. He admonished me, saying, “You of all people Susannah, who’s still so affected by September 11th, should rally behind him. Imagine if our laws were tighter back then, all those people would still be here.”

Yes, alas, all those 2,983 souls, randomly lost.

I let his ire wash over me like rain, appreciating his point, since it throws me too, when I think, not only did these men who flew into the Trade Center and Pentagon, crashing in Shanksville, Pennsylvania live in the tristate area, but were taught, by us, to fly those planes.

He bullied me further by saying, how can I feel empathy for all the dirty illegals sneaking in who want us dead.

“What the hell’s the matter with you? Tell me, or will I have to read it in one of your stupid essays.”

Yes, his anger knew no bounds.

I held my tongue, not mentioning mothers separated from their children, knowing whatever I’d say would only inflame him further, choosing to simply excuse myself.

If he really wanted to know how I felt, this is what I would have said…

Any tragedy I’ve endured in my life, rather than make me harder, opened my heart wider. I certainly don’t mourn those 13 men, nor was sad when we murdered their leader, Osama bin Laden, but neither did I rejoice in the kill, for me, a hollow victory.

But I do know this..unless we’re the change, like Mr. Gandhi said, there’s no hope of ever healing such inexplicable hatred.

Al-Qaeda’s loathing of us, morphing into ISIS, brainwashing young men and women to do whatever’s necessary to annihilate Americans, will only cease combated with some sense of sanity.

No one who held a box cutter that day thinking their God would approve, was sane.

Most of those men were mere boys, twisted into thinking virgins and riches would await them on the other side.

I’m hoping they’ve met those they took with them, the 252 on the 4 planes including 8 children ranging from ages 11 to 2, the 125 at the Pentagon, and the 2,606 in the Towers, who I’ll bet as noble Americans, would greet them without malice.

God bless the fallen

God bless America.

Susannah Bianchi

This entry was posted in Faith, grace, History, humanity, Love, media, men, New York City, Politics, travel, violence, war, words and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to A Date Which Will Live In Infamy…9/11/2001

1. robprice59 says:

I still live in hope that we will find a way to peace. Hatred and violence only breed more hatred and violence. There is no such thing as a winnable war.
    Good piece Susannah: I feel your pain.

2. You are right. Hatred doesn’t solve anything and your friend is full of it. People intent on doing something will find a way to do it.

Susannah,

You chose the right way of dealing with his ranting by not entering into it at all. And good for you, because you’re so right. We HAVE to let the good in, or we are doomed.

Strong and beautiful post.

Peace and letting in the good

4. Ross de Marco says:

I think k you are confusing vigilance with hatred . We were all shocked and so deeply saddened by the horrible attack . But we cannot slip into the complacency of the pre 9/11 era . It’s not hatred but we have to know who is entering our nation , just as we lock our doors . I don’t feel it’s racist ( the term is well worn out to me at this stage ) to ask guests or those endeavoring to come to our nation to do so by respecting our rules . There are many out there who wish to do us harm . We owe it our children and grandchildren to keep them safe and secure . There have been too many innocent Americans killed by illegal criminals and fanatics . Yes we have enough within iour own borders . Why escalate the problem by being lax ? I do whatever is required when I leave the country , take off my shoes pat downs , empty the pockets etc . Why is asking too much require legal entry ?? Open borders … not for me . Europe is a mess with these suicidal policies .

5. Ross de Marco says:

Sorry about that , I apologize I just should have chosen the words a little more carefully My ponit was t I could empathize with your friends position . I lost 3 friends on that dreadful day . I recall the fear in my children that evening and having to gently bring them to a place of comfort and peace in their hearts . Giovanna crying to me in the aftermath saying at 12 years Old that she didn’t want any of this she just wanted to grow up and have her babies which thankfully she did . We are also instructed to stand against evil . We do not live in a perfect world and peace is not promised to us fully at this point . I just don’t want to relive that ever again . Nor do any of us . Peace .

Pookie and I just returned from NYC last night where we spent a few days. We went to the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and the 9/11 Memorial. A very emotional vacation. My Bochi went through Ellis with her sister, both teens, never to see their parents or other sisters again. So I can obviously see both sides of the coin on immigration. I do believe we need tight screening processes, but also think we need welcome legal immigration with open arms. Children who did not choose to come here illegally with their parents and who know no other life can not be cast back into a foreign world.

7. I’m so proud of you for not feeding the fear of your friend. It’s not easy, but silence is an answer too. Not one person that came into our office mentioned 9/11 yesterday. My co-worker and I reminisced about our day 17 years ago as if it were yesterday.

• There’s a 12 Step slogan I like…Say nothing, and say it often. You can’t nudge anyone’s conscience. It could be it’s just too painful to speak about. My pal Chris, so big-hearted, he can’t read anything pertaining to September 11th. It’s all personal in the end. For me, I need to commemorate the day in some way, for them, in their wake. I’ll take the hits and slams…again, for them. Could have been me, so easily. Thanks Top.