Things People Say

I’m a huge lover of quotes, always tickled to repeat them like a passionate parrot.

And it’s not just the famous who coin them. I hear locals repeat pithy phrases all the time.

Take Frank, my super, whenever I say, I didn’t forget I owe you money, one of my own silly tags who, without missing a beat says, don’t worry…I know where ya live.

A former friend of mine, gleaned from his aunt would say…that’s my story, and I’m stickin’ to it.

Speaking of aunts, my mother’s eldest sister, Tillie, loved saying…tough toenails to you there Missy and the horse you rode in on.

And Ed quotes a Hungarian he worked with whenever we speak of those whining about money when they’re flush to the gills…yah, he complains with a loaf unda’ each om’.

How I love that.

And yes, we have the Kennedys, John who liked to say, let’s grab our balls and go, while Bobby chanted, kick’em in the balls Jack, kick’em in the balls. They were just a balls kinda’ family I guess, in more ways than one.

And James Garfield, our 20th president, his humor in play said—man cannot live by bread alone, he must have peanut butter.

Kurt Vonnegut, one of my heroes wrote, welcome to the monkey house, something I say often to describe my life, and my all time favorite—and so it goes.

Walt Whitman—be curious, not judgmental.

Hunter S. Thompson—ho ho.

Anne Lamott packing wisdom like a prophet declares, hope begins in the dark, while Indira Gandhi learning from her dad preached, you can’t shake hands with a clenched fist.

I forget who said, age doesn’t matter unless you’re a cheese, but I’m ordering T-shirts.

Then there’s Rodney Dangerfield chirping…I haven’t spoken to my wife in years, because I don’t want to interrupt her.

Yes, I’m a huge lover of quotes…   images

and so it goes.

🙂

This entry was posted in humanity, humor, internet, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Things People Say

Susannah, I thoroughly enjoyed this! I love reading the quote published each day in our local paper, especially when checking the author and date, often finding out it is hundreds of years old and still just as applicable.
    One of Pookie’s sayings is ‘He’d bitch if you hung him with a new rope’.

2. One of my favorites from my working days (in an office, not the streets!) was “Let’s strap them on and conquer!” (said to other women before a meeting).

3. Rubenstein, Hal says:

I learned this quote when I was a camp at about 10 years old….better to be judged a fool and keep your mouth shut, than to open it and remove all doubt ! LOL

Best,
    Hal

4. I, too, love quotes. Though my mind has gone blank on them, I use them a lot.
    Scott

5. Ross de Marco says:

My moms hairtrigger Italian temper , she’d be yelling at me and start biting her hand , which as I got older , always made me laugh . This would only infuriate her more , then she’d exclaim “ you wait Ross ! you know what they say , laugh on Friday cry on Sunday .” I always got a kick out of that !

6. Eilene Lyon says:

These are all great! I loved the loaves under the arms one – unique!

7. I enjoyed your quotes. John and I often repeat one we heard in my hometown. “When you get older, you get more so.”

If you were a complainer in your youth, you’ll be unbearable in old age because you’ll complain even more. If you were late before, you’ll never be on time in old age.

8. robprice59 says:

Love the quotes Susannah.
    I add “Procrastination is the thief of time, but so are a lot of other long words”.

9. Vasca Beall says:

Quotes can absolutely make my day. One of my favorites; “When you get to the end of your rose, tie a knot and hang on.”

As you know I love quotes. One of my mother’s sayings was “well, that’s just ducky!” It could be said in a way to let you know she was unhappy about something or in a way that meant she was pleased about something. Years ago I bought a keychain with a picture of a duck in the rain with Have a Ducky Day written on it. She insisted that I give it to her and of course I did. It now hangs in my kitchen and is a sweet memory of her.

11. My absolute favorite quote of all time is “when someone shows you who they are, believe them.” Now, if I could remember this wisdom when the asses of the world are out in full force, that would be great.
    I love how this piece opened the floodgates to more quotes.