Best Story of the Week…Nanny and the Thin Girl

I truly don’t look for trouble, but sometimes trouble finds me, like a homing pigeon coming in for a landing.

It’s cold. People are bundled like Eskimos, so I ask you, why a 3 year-old is shivering in her stroller without mittens nor gloves while her babysitter, a young woman of color with nails the length of a bread stick, is on her phone talking a mile a minute in some Islandese while this little kid takes it like a trooper?

I can only guess it’s because she’s used to being cold and uncomfortable not yet realizing, she has rights.

Don’t worry honey, Norma Rae’s got this.

“Excuse me, “I say, remembering to pause and breathe deeply so I don’t kill her.

After reluctantly covering the phone with one of her well manicured mitts says, “Yayz’, what eez’ it?”

“Looks to me this baby is pretty cold. Doesn’t she have mittens?” Now the kid, who looks like a Dickens character in a pink parka, stares up at me knowing she now has a lawyer, or hit man, in her corner.

“She ez’ fon…and ahs on the phone, to Antigua?”

Yes, you’ve guessed it, Norma lost it.

“I DON’T CARE IF YOU’RE TALKING TO NEPTUNE. I ADVISE YOU TO GET OFF THAT PHONE NOW OR I’M CALLING CHILD SERVICES.”

Yes I know. If I may quote Abraham Lincoln, the bottom fell outta’ the tub.

To say she went off on me would not do the statement justice. Just then, on cue, two policemen come out of Starbucks.

“OFFICA’ THIS WHOH-MAN IS HARASSIN’ ME.”

Before I could suit up, one of the cops who, I’m now madly in love with says, “How come this kid isn’t dressed enough. It’s freezin’ out here?”

Did he already hear my altercation with her, or has the almighty interrupted his shopping to make a cameo?

“He bent down after handing his coffee to his partner to hold the little girl’s hands ever so gently before saying, ‘Where are her gloves? Her hands are ice cold.”

Now Nanny, who might be doin’ 5 to ten at the Women’s House of Detention knew she was in deep shit.

“We left quick…had to bring her brotha’ ta’ school. I fagot’ to take dem.”

“Where does this little one live because we’re takin’ her home.”

Despite my leanings to slug her, my heart opened to Nanny’s panic, who went from tribal leader to cleaning the hut without PASSING GO.

“Officer,” I purred, like I was 25 again, “maybe you can just drive them home with a warning and not, you know…

“Tell the baby’s mom her kid should have someone more responsible?”

Oh God did I love him, me and my libido that made a quick trip in from Miami.

I smiled as he still held onto the kid’s little fingers who was as enamored with him as I was, but alas, younger, so I knew I didn’t stand a chance.

I watched his partner put the stroller in the back of the police car while he held the little girl as if she were his own.

“Looks as if you’ve had experience,” I said, while Nanny stood by, bristling.

“Three, the oldest 11.”

I smiled, squeezing his arm hard as a rolling pin before he gave Nanny back her charge, not letting her forget for one second, who was in charge, as they drove away, leaving me without an ending.

This entry was posted in creative writing, Culture, Family, Health, humanity, humor, inspiration, kids, Love, men, New York City, parents, Starbucks, words and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to Best Story of the Week…Nanny and the Thin Girl

Susannah, I can’t count how many times I’ve said, “Where are the police when you need them?” Such perfect timing and such perfect officers!
    This past Sunday evening I passed a bundled up man and his son (around 7). The boy was wearing a short sleeved shirt! He had his arms wrapped around him shivering as they walked to their car. I admit I didn’t dare say anything, the guy looked kind of rough and we were in the far edge of a parking lot at night. I can’t get that poor little kid out of my mind, though.
    I’ll bet your little bambino will be appropriately dressed from now on.

2. You are the best! What a heart-warming, hand-warming post!

SB,

Methinks you sell yourself short as far as your favorite cop goes. Excepting for the fact he has a mess of young ‘uns, you coulda closed the deal sister. Fo sho.

And look atchou! Telling that ninny of a nanny the what’s what, YES! I mean, why in the world is she calling Antigua? Is she from there? And if so . . why leave? Was she not aware it’s happy hour in Antigua? No matter the time of day!

Maybe that little one will be a writer some day. And you saved those precious digits. Hope you treated yourself.

Peace

4. robprice59 says:

I guess they only need gloves whilst peeling coconuts in Antigua?
    Nice piece Susannah

5. You went and did it again! You went where people don’t go and you had back-up this time! I love those cops. So glad they took the time to drive them home. They should have confiscated the phone but I guess that’s against the law. Still, I wish he would have reported back to the parents. The kids don’t deserve this.

6. Rubenstein, Hal says:

Great story but how do you know this woman will not do it again ? I would have gone further. Totally non-excusable !

Best,
    Hal

• We don’t, however hopefully the experience will make her more attentive to this little girl. And who knows, the good Officer may have spoken to the parents. He was all business so I’m certain he just didn’t let it go. My feelings.

You were right on the mark Susannah! I often wonder what people are thinking when underdressed in cold weather. Of course it wasn’t the little girls fault. Love your new site! ~Elle

8. Good for you. I feel especially bad for pets and kids in the cold since they can’t do anything about it. Glad the cops were there too to stick up for you and the kid.

9. I have seen movies like this one “without an ending.” Darling, and you have now taken my heart, have an ending….
    Scott

10. Eilene Lyon says:

Even when you’re righteously firing away, you’ve got style. Thanks for sticking up for the freezing bambino- we should all have a guardian angel like you. And, like Marc said, you totally could have caught that cop! 😁

11. Eilene Lyon says:

And I meant to compliment your new header – very YOU! ❤️💕

12. There needs to be a department in the world of law enforcement that specializes in not fucking with those without a voice. No weapons, just a set a balls, preferably carried in a tote. Something tells me there would not be enough tickets to go around.
    Well done SB, well done!

• Well there isn’t and you see it all the time. Neglect. The rich are the worst. If it were me I’d be so on it. No texting or talking while you’re on duty, ya here? Dog walkers are included in this rightful rant. Sigh

13. Pingback: A Short Hiatus – Myricopia