He Fell For Me

I believe in cause and effect, that what goes around, comes around.

You reap what you sow.

But yesterday, in my travels, karma never shined more brightly.

Karma’s definition, according to Webster’s…in Hinduism and Buddhism…the sum of a person’s actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.

In other words, how you treat others is how you’ll be treated then, now and always.

I wrote two weeks ago about a young boy I helped who had taken a fall on a busy street (Best Story of the Week…January 18th).

Well on Friday, a young man his age, 16 or so, took the time to help me after I took a spill.

I was daydreaming when I tripped right in front of Grand Central Station. Dozens of people in their haste, moved around me as I sat, dazed, on the pavement.

This kid, taking out his earbuds, stopped and sat beside me.

“Are you okay?” he asked, placing his hand gingerly on my shoulder.

“I think so,” I said, ignoring my right knee that I slammed good and hard.

“Why are you sitting on the cold ground?” I asked, suddenly seeing he too was perched on his butt. “You didn’t fall too, did you?”

“No. I just didn’t want you to feel alone, or funny cause you fell.”

Isn’t that the sweetest thing you’ve ever heard?

He took my arm helping me up since my leg wouldn’t bend. It’s when I gratefully realized nothing could be broken if I could actually stand, more or less, solid on my feet.

He waited while I collected myself, and only left convinced, I was okay to resume flight.

I limped into the subway, got a seat on the train and thought about this kid.

Despite the persistent pain I’d have to spend the remainder of the day icing, I felt somehow grateful that it had happened. One because it reminded me to be more mindful, along with encouraging my future good works, I tend to call into question.

And of course, to just look, where the fuck I’m going.

This entry was posted in Culture, grace, humanity, humor, inspiration, New York City, Uncategorized, words and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to He Fell For Me

1. Rubenstein, Hal says:

Nice story ugh! Especially that last line ! I thought u were an athlete.

SB,

You know why karma can be trusted? Because it’s a concept whose -isms are not scary or confrontational. Run into most -isms, and it’s not a good day, but karma keeps good company.

This may not have been instant karma for you, but it was pretty dern quick in the repayment. Glad you’re okay.

I’ve been waiting because I wasn’t sure if my comment was awaiting moderation or if I fucked up and accidentally flushed it, instead of posted it… d’oh…
    So, lemme see if I can reproduce my sparkling and intelligent comment.

Oh, Susannah (sorry… not) (this part I remember)

What a perfect example of karma. I am a firm believer in receiving what you put out there, especially when it is good, and when it is given without any expectation of receiving in return.
    Of course, if one chooses to send out crap…

And what a fabulously well-brought-up young man. To not only help you but to ensure you felt no embarrassment as a result of your fall. His mama should be proud.
    And I hope your knee is doing better. Ouch.

4. That young man was incredible! Thanks for writing about him. I hope you will be out of pain soon.

5. aFrankAngle says:

Cheers to karma, the teenager, and you honoring him. 🙂

Oh Susannah, this IS one of the sweetest things I’ve ever heard. If so inclined, you should write a letter to the editor. We need to show that there are plenty of good youth out there, ready to take over the reins. I’m so tired of all the negativity. Thanks for sharing such an uplifting tale.

7. Clever Girl says:

Love these kinds of interactions. How heartwarming that he sat down with you 💖

8. robprice59 says:

Like Marcella said: “Give a little bit of love and you get it back.”
    Thanks for warming me through this morning.

9. Nice to have a good Samaritan there. For all the help that you give to other people, it’s good that someone was there to lend a helping hand when you were in need. Glad nothing was broken. 🙂

10. I cause the most of my problems when I fail to look or hesitate or slow down…I hear you.

11. Just pick different times to dream. I don’t quite dream as much anymore. Something I need to correct.

12. What I learned from this is chivalry is alive and well in NYC. There are parents out there doing their damn job. Not all young people are engrossed in their phones. But, most importantly you do get what you give to this world and watching where you’re going is essential. (I never do)