Attention All Girls…Face Up

images-2.jpeg There comes a time in every woman’s life when she considers plastic surgery. You look in the mirror one day and wonder, who the hell is that?

I made the decision a while back, to leave myself alone, and it wasn’t easy, not until I took a serious survey.

Living on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, I’m surrounded by women with the means to treat their faces like beachfront property.

The trouble is, most of them overdo it. I saw a woman recently whose face was so pulled you could have skied down her cheeks. You ask yourself, what doctor did this to her, but apparently it’s more the woman wanting more, more, more.

Then there’s the girl I actually know whose lips look like trampolines, big and lumpy, with so much lipstick that make them look even lumpier. Why pray tell, would you want to look as if you were stung by a swarm of bees?

Jackie Onassis comes to mind who in her 50s had what’s called a little clean-up. She still looked herself, just well rested. At least that’s what you thought when you saw her. Now her sister Lee, is another matter. At 85, she looks like a conga drum.

My face has fallen, there’s no denying it. My chin going south, my eyes crinkling like slanted dark potato chips. I tell myself, when someone really looks at you Susannah, they look at you as a whole, unless it’s someone evil, and yes, they lurk like mean queens celebrating your new nooks and crannies.

One such woman has had three face-lifts and doesn’t look any different, a smoker, those lines around her mouth so deep, despite gallons of Botox, still there.

Okay, her forehead is pretty smooth, like a salad plate, but still the poster putz for plastic, if you ask me, pleading the opposite.

DON’T DO IT—ACCEPT WHO YOU ARE.

I want to be like the singer, Patti Smith, who with the exception of perhaps a bang trim, has done nothing to herself and looks incredibly beautiful—every line earned, eyes that tell stories.

Getting older IS NOT A CRIME

It’s a privilege, as my late, great friend Jackie used to say.

So we may look as if we did 4 tours in Nam, so what.

Gives, keep your chin up, all new meaning, even if you have to hold it up with your forefingers.   Unknown.jpeg

This entry was posted in Beauty, grace, humor, New York City, women and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

117 Responses to Attention All Girls…Face Up

1. robprice59 says:

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.
    We are constantly bombarded with images and advertising: if you don’t look and live like this, you are worthless. Business spends big-time to undermine our self-esteem and reap the benefits. I am so pleased that you don’t fall into the trap.

Liked by 2 people

I remember telling my friends that I had a plan for my later years. I would have a really, really tight ponytail on top of my head to pull everything up. If only that worked, ha ha! Can you imagine all the women over a certain age with high top ponies?
    WI think we all look in the mirror and pull our facial skin a bit, imaging how we used to look. I applaud your decision to go gently into that good night. I’m there with you. I never want to wake up, look in the mirror, and see The Joker looking back.

3. aFrankAngle says:

Amen. Cheers to you for your choice. Every once in awhile we find someone whose doctor did a good job … and the person looks great – not fake … only knowing they had a lift after discovering their age.

4. Great inspirational piece and I agree. For guys, it’s less of a temptation, but we’re just as vain as girls and there is a temptation to look younger sometimes or at least delay the inevitable. But as you said, it’s not a crime to get older.

Hear! Hear! Sister! Let us be like Diane Keaton or Judi Dench or – well I was gonna name dames younger than 54 (my age) but really, at that point, there are still some good genes at play, dontcha think? Oh, I just googled Emma Thompson – she’s 56 and also says nay to surgery.
    I watched a special on Jane Fonda (and, honestly, the work she has had done is fabulous) and she said she regretted that she had felt the need to have work done. Because today, she wouldn’t. Easy to say when you look barely 60 at 80,
    So, look in that mirror, Thin Girl, and blow yourself a kiss. You look mahvellous!

6. It used to be called growing old gracefully.

Good for you Lady Thin.
    As with diets, or any other body altering device us humans dabble in, it must be done (or not done) based on what the individual feels. I don’t watch what I eat to keep my girlish figure (sic). I do so because I don’t want to mess with my health.
    You’ve made the right decision, in my opinion. To be comfortable in your own skin is a priceless commodity. Too many peeps feel as if their bodies and faces are billboards, and in so doing they lose the value of themselves.
    Okay, I’ll step down from my soapbox.

8. I am very thankful you have decided not to tinker with the structure of your face. It is beautiful, as is the spirit behind it. Inner beauty will shine through wrinkles and make them lovely.

9. Eilene Lyon says:

Agree wholeheartedly! (Though it doesn’t stop that cringe when I look in the mirror, or stop me from pulling the extra flesh back to see “what if.”)

The nice thing about living here in Colorado is that you see very little of the plastic scene amongst locals, unless you live in Aspen or some such. I know so many beautiful women aging as themselves – I can fit right in.

10. Ross de Marco says:

I often think it’s a blessing from God that our eyesight gets a little fuzzy as we age hence, I never wear my glasses when I shave .

11. Ross de Marco says:

Yes chin is still ok , but overall it all looks better without the glasses . Regarding aging , My mother in law in Ireland would often quip , “ Sure how can a flower bloom for forty years “?

12. Ross de Marco says:

Ouch ?

13. I have read and been told how poison Botox is to your system, so why put it inside you?!
    Most women are pretty w/o the mess ups and if you do 1, where do you stop?
    You are right, don’t start and you don’t have to stop.
    I don’t know how current your blog pic is, and would love to see a current one, but, regardless, girl, you are beautiful, inside and out. The inside never has to change and that is the 70%er, the other 30% will definitely change over time.
    Hang in there; I guarantee you have one fan- and he bought your kindle book about the cat. Number 2, I know I have a couple more…
    Scott

14. The bigger questions for me is why are these conga drums (cracking up and your description) not filing malpractice suits? How the hell do they not see what we see? Is vanity that powerful? Natural is always better, from our food to our faces.