Pride of Language

images.pngan Old English term, morphing from the word pride, meaning the most important, significant position among a group of objects or personal possessions.

The Mona Lisa, for instance, has a major, pride of place, at The Louvre, in Paris.

Someone’s wedding picture might be considered one, or a diploma, trophy, or Gramma’s favorite chair.

I’ve been reading Dashiell Hammett mysteries, images.jpeg and along with drinking before breakfast, Dash seemed to favor the phrase that’s rather pleasing to this reader’s eye, alerting me to its melody.

Made me look around my flat to see what I could claim as my own...pride of place.

Could be my lemon painting hanging on a prominent wall to honor my late friend Jackie who always said…’when you get lemons, you make lemonade’.

Or my old neighbor Mimi’s owl, Elsa, who watches over things from the top shelf of my bookcase.

Then again, maybe it’s my bed covered with stuffed animals all named after American Presidents: George, Abe, Teddy, Ike, Harry, Jack and John Quincy, taking ménage a’ trois to new heights.

It’s interesting to apply it personally since, we all have something that we’re proud of, even if it’s kept under our hat.

Speaking of secrets, it could be the top hat I pinched, while drunk, at a party, allegedly belonging to one of the Vanderbilts.

I couldn’t help myself. Just call it history, on the rocks.

Maybe it’s time to take it from its noble box to display it in, a pride of place, if for no other reason but to honor where it might have been, like the famous Costume Ball of the Decade, Alva Vanderbilt gave in 1880.

If only hats could talk.

But back to language that’s not only inspiring, but lovely, lyrical and lights one’s imagination.

So what treasure do you have on display you’re rather smitten with.

A stuffed deer you bagged in Maine?

Bronzed booties?

A signed copy of Electric Ladyland next to your prized Gibson Flying V Electric you named Jimi?

Tell me what’s under your hat…

I’m curious.   images-3.jpeg

Susannah

This entry was posted in art, Books, Home, New York City, words, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

67 Responses to Pride of Language

Mine would be a photograph of my kids with Ann Curry, who was one of the hosts of the Today Show at the time. We ventured up to the Macy’s Parade for a few Thanksgivings in a row, and for a couple years in a row, we got her to take a pic with the kids. The prominent photograph is from the first time we met her because it became a funny story that I still share to this day.

Liked by 2 people

2. Eilene Lyon says:

An entire wall in the stairwell is dedicated to photos of (mostly) ancestors – naturally!

In the center of my coffee table sits a porcelain vase glazed with a 360 degree painting of the desert, mountains, and brilliant blue sky, dotted with puffy clouds, of New Mexico. It reminds me of all the hours I’ve spent walking through those landscapes on just such a day. It was a birthday present from me to me.

3. aFrankAngle says:

We have need artsy things. Most purchased from a local art show that attracts nationwide artists … and we have some interesting art from an aunt because she was downsizing. You gave me an idea for a future post. Thanks!

4. Over our gas fireplace is a new oil painting of elk grazing in a mountain valley. Our neighbors gave it to us for looking after their three dogs. They went to another state for an intense family reunion, because someone was on the verge of death. I prize the painting for several reasons. We didn’t earn it; it was a gift of love. We’ve seen elk in that valley. The artist is a daughter of the neighbors, and Bob made a frame for it that is perfect. The painting is a prized possession that we couldn’t replace. Thanks for making me think of an item that takes pride of place in our house.

Liked by 2 people

5. robprice59 says:

You hit the nail on the head with the Flying V. The guitar slot in our front bedroom is hallowed turf. I only have five (at time of writing) but they play upon my mind, like Bilbo’s ring.

Liked by 2 people

Pride of place. I had our wedding picture up in a special place. Now that my house is for sale, I was urged to “de-humanize” it and remove all personal effects for home-staging. I think it’s a crock but the agents assure me that no one wants to buy a home. Really? Just the other day, a couple visited and, besides not liking my colour choices (so paint!) they said it lacked a homey feeling. Well, what in the fuck am I supposed to do now?

Oh, and what a cool little thief you are!

A photograph of my Bochi and her sister holding hands, taken shortly after passing through Ellis Island. They came from Poland in their late teens, never to see their parents again. We had a special relationship.

9. I believe I have them all over the house. As poor as I am about decluttering, I still have a lot of items that all have deep memories or memories forced upon them. I have a small castle, made of pressed and permanent sand, marking the runner up in a contest at Battle Creek, MI with my 2 young children. I have a painted of all the Marvel characters in one place that proudly replaced my broken clock on the center of the living room wall. And, I have a painting done by my daughter in the last year or so that hangs on the wall behind me, so I can see it often.
    Scott