A Valentine’s Day Story

Unknown.jpeg I’m at Housing Works Thrift Shop sniffing around, hoping nothing major catches my eye, since last time I popped in, madam came home lugging a rocking chair.

There’s a little Latino fella transfixed by a red and white bike that’s out for sale.

He keeps rolling it back and forth, tenderly rubbing its seat like a woman he’s very fond of.

While perusing odd pieces of china, I watch him out of the corner of my eye.

He looks as if he’s about to leave.

I mosey over.

“Seems like you’re interested in that bike.”

He rubs his chin thoughtfully before saying, ‘Yaz, my fadder’ needs one, for hez’ store, but I dunno much so, could be too much.”

I peek at the price. 85.00 dollars. To me it looks like a good deal since it does seem in good shape. A guy comes in, on cue, in bike-racer regalia, so I call him over.

“What do you think of this bike?”

Without pause, he crouches, looking it over with a jeweler’s eye and says, “It’s great, but the front tire is pretty shot.”

The Latino guy is standing behind us listening.

“Is it worth 85 bucks ya think, even with a worn out tire?”

“Absolutely. Do you know what a bike like this costs new? It’s a Renegade.”

I turn to the Latino fella. “Well, it’s a good buy he says. Do you have the money to get it?’

“He looks down at his black, beat up Converse High Tops and says, “I have 100 doe’lers’ saved so, yaz’, I have.”

This is killing me. This poor guy wants to do something nice for his dad, spending all the money he has in the world, so I say, “I’m Susannah and I’d like to help. How bout I chip in.”

“Cheep’ in? No comprendo Senora.”

“I want to help so you’ll buy it.”

Just then the bike expert says, “That’s really great. You know what, I’ll chip in too.”

Then the girl behind the counter says, “I’ll give you the Super Tuesday’s 20% off discount even though it’s Thursday.”

Before we know it, the bike is now only going to cost this young fella $25.00, then the bike man says, he’d take him to the bike shop and help him get a new tire.

I am so moved by the generosity going around like a strain of sudden goodness, that I start to cry.

The soon to be new bike owner, hands me his folded handkerchief, the kind only real gentlemen carry and says, “No ca’di Senora. I should ca’di. Such kind people I nee’ver know.”

It made me think of that wall we’ve been hearing so much about, since Manuel, is his name, looks like a candidate for being on its other side.

It made the whole matter, matter so much more.

“Happy Valentine’s Day Amigo.”images-1.jpeg

“Gracias Senora….gracias.”

This entry was posted in creative writing, Culture, friendship, humanity, inspiration, New York City, Sports and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to A Valentine’s Day Story

1. Eilene Lyon says:

There you go again, showing us how to be kind and caring to perfect strangers. If you aren’t careful, the world just might become a nicer place! 😁

Liked by 2 people

2. Vasca says:

I must be klutzy, my comments flit into space. I like this post; it’s so wonderful helping people. You opened your heart and out poured the lovely compassion and you made that guys day/month/year. Bless you girl. Helping others is sometimes quite contagious. Happy Valentine’s Day.

3. What a marvelous Valentine story!! You started the ball rolling, and look what happened!! You are the best, Susannah! What did the city do to deserve you?

Liked by 2 people

Then they try to tell us the world is full of nasty peeps. I ain’t buying it as you are proof.

Your one act of kindness turned into a pay it forward beautiful thing in one fell swoop.

Makes me think of a video I saw yesterday where each unkind word or action resulted in a black ball being forwarded until it ends up in one woman’s possession. She brings it home and drops it to join the dozens of others littering her floor. Her joy is nil.

She decides to paint them all yellow and puts a smiley face on them, goes out and bumps into people, handing them out…

You are that smiley face.

Liked by 2 people

5. aFrankAngle says:

Now that’s a wonderful story not only for today – but for any day!

6. Kate Howell says:

One of the sweetest stories ever!😎

Hal Rubenstein from my iPhone

7. robprice59 says:

You are a mobile oasis of goodness, Susannah.

8. “So shines a good deed in a weary world”—Gene Wilder aka, Willy Wonka. Could be the chocolate—being that it’s Valentines Day—but that’s not the case here, Susannah, because you are one of the sweetest people I know. Happy Valentine’s Day, Susannah! :O)

SB,

You are too much . . of a good thing. Check that, you’re just right on that good thing. Because some people go through life looking for what THEY want, and then are the people who go through life giving others what they want.

It’s pretty damn refreshing to read a story about giving rather than taking. And it’s nice when doing good becomes a brush fire that takes on a life of its own, thanks to the fresh air of kindness and compassion.

I. Love. This.

Susannah, what a truly uplifting story. And YOU are the one who got the ball rolling. Not only did you make that boy and his family’s day, but also the bike expert, clerk, and your own. What a great example of how one single show of interest can snowball into a fairytale.

11. Loretta says:

Oh gosh, tears rolling down MY eyes as I read this. How very thoughtful, you sure made his day. Acts of kindness like this are more important than stupid holidays like V-Day! Sorry, got my frustrations out 🙂 Well done to you and all who helped!

• You would have loved bike man tooling around in his cleats. They say God is in the details, well, he sure was yesterday sending him into the fray right at that moment. You could tell he was well off. It’s the Upper East Side after all, and though I’m a Carmelite living wise, in comparison, I’m surrounded by wealth. In this case it was for the common good. I’ll tell ya Loretta, when you see grace in all her splendor, it brings you to your knees.

12. It is 2/18 and I am behind a bit, but reading this made it work better now. Last night late, I was, as usual, playing my fav game of the moment “Fallout 76”. I ran into another player and asked the usual general stuff. As my avatar walked off, I said, “Do you need anything?” His avatar hesitated and I heard him whisper, “Well, yes, some ammo.” I asked the type and gave him 500 rounds. As I walked off, I heard him say, “It’s nice to know there’s still a few good guys on here.” Made my day.
    Scott

13. What a beautiful story, Susannah and so much better with everyone chipping in to help him.

14. Excuse me, I need to go get a hankie.
    Humanity at its best never fails to tug my heart and give me hope.