Love From the Ethers

This will be my last piece to commemorate the passing of Bill Hicks.

Like Yoko, who only celebrates John’s birthday on October 9th, I too will only celebrate Bill on December 16th, the day of his birth.

Early this morning I walked to Strawberry Fields. As I gazed at The Dakota where the Lennons lived, Yoko still in residence, I remembered what’s so vivid about my own loss.

Not the sadness that came with the news, but the simple wonder of all that was Bill.

I can still see him so clearly, well and vital. It reminds me of how the New York Times always runs a photograph of the person who’s passed in their glory, rather than decline.

So does my memory it seems.

I believe his spirit soars, occasionally visiting since I feel his presence often. It’s usually when I’m in despair needing strength that suddenly appears.

He was strong right till the end, I’m told, dying a good death, as they say in the Catholic Church. I never much liked that phrase, but understand it at least a little better now.

I guess it means, one’s comfortable as their soul takes flight, straight on till morning, to borrow from Peter Pan, a book Bill liked. He told me once how he always wanted to be like one of the Lost Boys who never grew up, never growing old.

I had forgotten that, when during a morning meditation, it knocked on the window.

Despite missing him, I’m happy he got his wish since now, he will stay that boy forever.

Bill Hicks.       December 16, 1961- February 26, 1994           Unknown-1

This entry was posted in art, Books, Culture, grace, humanity, humor, inspiration, Love, Women and men, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Love From the Ethers

1. robprice59 says:

His spoken truths still resonate. R.I.P.

2. Vasca says:

Once in a lifetime…a love falls gently into your life and lives in your heart always.

Susannah, I’m sorry for such a loss, but happy that he is still able to bring you comfort.

4. aFrankAngle says:

My good memories continue to bring you comfort …. and from the writing here, he still does.

SB,

Love and peace to you. And thank you for sharing, that too.

6. He is still vivid for you, even after all this time. It’s marvelous that you can feel his presence. Love can last forever.

7. Beautiful tribute, Susannah. 🙂

8. I know from past posts how important he was/is for you. We never need to forget or let completely go of someone, like my Sis. We just need to move on so they know we have done that. I think that will make them happy to see us happy again.
    Scott

Dear Susannah,
    He will always be there as you keep a piece of him in your heart. Your memories of will keep bringing a smile to you, I’ve no doubt.
    He had to be special for you to keep him close. How funny, Mick’s birthday was December 18…
    Lotsa love your way,