So How They Hangin’

I heard this expression, remembering it from growing up, an old neighborhood way of saying, so how the hell are ya, as if your balls were a barometer.

Since one thought inspires another, it then made me think of my beloved Italian Granddad who called balls, bollings.  I remember when he rescued two black kittens, a male and female. He held up the little guy that fit right in his palm and said, “Susalina, see the bollings? He a’boy.”

Balls certainly have a place in our culture other than proper pants.

Balls to the wall meaning, with maximum effort, energy and speed.

Break your balls, by the balls, bust your balls.

Blue balls, big balls, Jerry Lee Lewis singing…Great Balls of fire.

One of JFK’s favorite expressions was: let’s grab our balls and go.

When he was about to debate Richard Nixon in 1960, his brother Bobby took him aside and said,” Kick-em’ in the balls Jack, kick’em in the balls.” I guess the Kennedys were just a balls kinda’ family, in more ways than one.

Sara Jessica Parker said, balls are to men what purses are to women.

The singer Joan Jett…Girls have got balls. They’re just a little higher up, that’s all.

There’s even a bad joke about Hillary Clinton: The reason Bill doesn’t like when she wears skirts, is because her balls show.

Yes, balls whether stuffed in a pair of chinos, Fruit of the Looms or a pair of pantyhose, make their point metaphorically or otherwise.

My personal favorite is when my pal Ed says, his balls are the size of the Capitol Dome.

Imagine putting your pants on over those.  🙂

This entry was posted in Culture, humor, Politics, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to So How They Hangin’

1. Ross de Marco says:

My daughter Giovanna now married (with 4 kids ) has a new surname , Ball collectively known as – The Balls .

2. Ross de Marco says:

Lucy a great grand aunt of my son in law and Susan cousin

3. Ross de Marco says:

Lucy a great grandaunt of my son-in-law and Susan a cousin

4. Ross de Marco says:

Thank you Susannah , you were always very kind to us , they’ve all done very well .

My aunt once heard two little neighbor boys talking outside her kitchen window. One lad bragged to the other, “My daddy’s balls are so long they hang down to his knees.” If true, I’d imagine it’d be easy to guess who his father was.

6. aFrankAngle says:

Certainly an unexpected topic early in my day. I wonder what that means regarding the unknown of the day ahead? Well, I do have to work today at the golf course, and it takes a lot of balls to operate a golf course. But hey – I also thought of this song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdfpRPvMxoE

Balls!!

Holy balls yes, this was a standard greeting in my old neighborhood as well. Greetings . . . confrontations . . . rants, who knew balls could be that versatile?

I heard the Clinton balls references as well. Ironically, it took absolutely no balls at all to come up with those references . . I can only assume the joke makers were compensating.

Love the JFK and SJP quotes. Can you imagine Carrie Bradshaw as a White House Correspondent in the early ’60’s? What a convergence that would’ve been . . .

I had a ball(s) reading this.

8. robprice59 says:

Speaking as an owner…………
    They are strange things. They need to run at less than body temperature, yet we double wrap them in clothing. Inevitably, they are associated with testosterone, even though they are receptors, rather than producers. There is much bravado talked about bravery, machismo and virility. Most of us, if we’re honest, are more concerned with their susceptibility to bruising. Ouch!

9. This one grabbed me by the balls, so now we can have a ball! Funny stuff, Susannah. 😀

10. Yes, certainly, very colorful – at least the phrasings. However, I contest Sara’s comment as women usually have, at least, 5-10 purses each, while us guys only have one set of balls.
    Scott

Great Balls of Fire!
    My mother’s favourite expression is: If my aunt had balls, she’d be my uncle.
    I can honestly say I have zero envy over that particular body part…

12. Eilene Lyon says:

Well that’s a really ballsy post right there.

13. Idioms says:

Hello Susannah,
    Wonderful post, just enjoyed reading your research.
    Keep up the good work.