Brokenhearted

There’s a young lady standing on the corner wearing a faux leopard coat J. Crew makes I’ve always admired. If I were just a little younger, I too would look like Sheena of the Jungle, hailing a cab.

As I approach packed with compliments, I see two huge tears sliding down her pretty, 20 year-old (if that) face.

She looks up like a deer scared and confused, shocked by something. “What is it?” I gently ask.

She, without pause, shows me a text she’s just received.

Apparently, her boyfriend just broke up with her by phone.

I immediately get angry at the gutless way this kid casually behaved.

I have to say, she took it better than me, keeping her poise despite more tears.

“Did you have any idea he was going to leave,” I ask, trying to comfort more than pry.

“He did it one other time, when I went away with my parents, to Italy. He got mad. He started seeing another girl, but then left her too and came back to me.”

I listened noting her trust in a perfect stranger while thinking, what a little shit. He needs to have his ear pulled good and hard, along with a coupla’ other body parts.

I remember when I was her age heartbroken over a guy named Jack who I was sure, I’d never get over. Well, since then, I’ve known many Jacks, but also know she’ll never believe she too will forget this lily-livered lad who just tossed her away like an empty coke can.

“You’re a young, beautiful girl, and he’s an idiot, and you look smashing in that coat.”

Like all kids her age, vanity, at least for a second, switches gears long enough to preen.

Two things come to mind.

Maya Angelou saying…when someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.

The second…a leopard never, ever changes his spots.

I watch her stoically slip into a cab, knowing, a woman might get wounded, but her strength always bats last.   images.jpeg

This entry was posted in animals, Beauty, Culture, Fashion, humanity, internet, New York City, Women and men, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Brokenhearted

Susannah, I hate to admit it, but I too would give a little purr over a compliment before resuming my tears. I just hope that cad doesn’t come waltzing back until she’s well over him. It’d be nice for him to get the heave-ho next time.
    You have such a knack for being on the spot for the dispirited. We’ll have to get you a cape that says ‘Super Comforter’. You’d make a great super hero.

Love is a fluid situation indeed, and highly combustible when you’re that young. I’m so jaded, I laugh when I think back to those times when some young lass broke my heart. It’s not a rolling laughter, it’s more appreciative. No hard feelings.

3. robprice59 says:

Anyone who can end a relationship by ‘phone is not worth crying over. She won’t feel it, but he’s done her a big favour.

First of all, are not we ladies of a certain age allowed, nay look fabulous, in leopard? When I turned 50, my girlfriend gave me a leopard print scarf, saying it was lacking in my wardrobe!

You have to admire today’s youth and their ability to just put it all out there for all and sundry to see. Don’t think I’d show a text of that nature to a stranger, no matter how lovely and kind and sweet you are.. That said. He is a total cad – as so many are in today’s young society – by “flushing” via text. No manners. I just hope she won’t be foolish to take him back yet a third time and move on. We are so dumb when we are young… part of the learning curve. My first boyfriend and I broke up a total of 4 times… I smile now when I think of it.

Totally different note. I thought of you Monday morning. My aunt (who just returned from a cruise with my mother and sisters) went down to move her car as they wanted to clear out the snow in the parking lot. So she moved it, got out of her car and fell, breaking her ankle quite horribly. It took forever for someone to stop and help her. Cars slowed down to look then drove off. I was thinking, if Susannah had been there, the 911 would have been called faster than you can say boo. She couldn’t reach her cell because she couldn’t twist her body. She was out in the ice and snow for half an hour!

6. Vasca says:

That was a great lift you gave that pretty little jewel. A receptionist I see often teared up one morning when I asked how she was doing; oops, boyfriend broke up w/her. I sympathized but when she told me he’d done it repeatedly and this time he did it on Christmas day. I advised her she should thank her lucky stars the heel had done her a favor and wasn’t worth doodly-squat much less her beautiful self. She did and smiles all the time now…men! Well, some men. Thank God for the gentlemen who exist. Break off by phone??? Gone with the wind…yeah. .

7. I love skinny’s idea of a cape for you.

8. Ross de Marco says:

I’ve had my share lending an ear to tales of woe , phone calls at one A M – Daddd!!! One fella broke up with my daughter the day she had to fly in from college for my mother’s funeral . She was about the age of the girl you wrote of .i felt so badly for her that time I had to very gently help put her back together But I knew the guy was just immature I had warned her . Sometimes in other cases I’d listen however being so busy hustling jobs I’d just say baby it’ll be ok , But I wish I had your problems!

9. Eilene Lyon says:

I do hope she doesn’t ever give him a third chance to hurt her. I was one of those who always moved on after a guy dumped me (and they do turn up again, frequently). Only once do I think I might have erred. But there are no do-overs! And please make sure the cape has leopard spots, or better, tiger stripes (I’m partial to tigers).😁

10. It was nice of you to give her some comfort. Hopefully she’ll have forgotten all about him by next week or found someone better.

11. I have been through that as well. Some women are just like the men. Not complaining, just informing those who might not know. Glad you could help her.
    Scott

12. The leopard never changes his spots- I love this reference connected to her coat. Made me
    Smile at your cleverness

• I love that coat. I just saw it again on someone. It’s regal alright with a punk twist. The woman wearing it was blonde and bouncy sailing into the Sony Building confident as can be. Hmm. Maybe self-assurance comes with it, like extra buttons. 🙄