A Few Things I Know

My friend Ed and I were discussing regrets over not being more attentive to friends who are no longer here. He felt sad over an actor he knew he hadn’t stayed in touch with, who died.

It reminded me of when my friend Connie passed away, feeling very much the same. Why wasn’t I more thoughtful towards her when over the years, she was so generous and good to me?

Though it was too late to make it up to her, I swore it wouldn’t happen again, so when my friend Liz got sick, I was very much present.

You just do better the next time, in their memory, that’s what I know.

Don’t knock on doors that won’t open. Find one that will…go where you’re wanted, appear where you’ll be appreciated.

Stop a second to help another even if it’s just crossing the street. Be the change, to quote Mr. Gandhi, you’d like to see.

I also know you should remember the fallen of September 11th, since, it’s the very least we can do. To say a prayer, now and then, on behalf of their lives so randomly taken.

Be aware of all the good rather than what’s imperfect, accepting the things, like getting older, you cannot change.

Savor love, however it comes, even if it’s just the mailman saying, you look pretty today.

Recycle, including your pain. Take your broken heart and turn it into art, said Carrie Fisher.

Never say no to pie.

And lastly, if things aren’t going the way you’d like after doing all you can do, find a little nook, nestle in, and read.

If work is slow, or you’re feeling a little down or lonely, read.

And if you just want to be good to yourself, enjoying the life you have on any given day, go back to that little nook, nestle in, and read.

A few things I know.

Susannah

This entry was posted in Books, Faith, grace, Gratitude, History, humanity, Love, New York City, readng, violence, words and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to A Few Things I Know

Susannah, I’d say you know quite a bit. I think the best we each can do is to keep trying to be a better person.
    It’s fairly easy for me to look backward and torture myself over what I should have or shouldn’t have done. The harder part is remembering to do it differently next time.

2. You are very wise. Thank you for sharing the things you know. You so often lift my days with your beautiful writing and quick humor.

A lovely and worthwhile “To Do” list for life.

Muchas gracias thin girl. 🙂

4. robprice59 says:

Wise words indeed. I’m bloody hopeless at this stuff. Need to do better.

5. Just reading the first few lines brought Mimi to mind.
    You’re always so open. Like a book ready to be read.
    Lovely thoughts,Susanna. You’re writing inspires.
    Isadora😎

6. Vasca says:

An excellent list. I try my best to live my life as you’ve shared. Whatever I can do to share what I know is worthwhile. Smiling all the while. I feel it’s a good thing all around.

Does this one ever hit home. There are a few that I wish I could have been there for them…even the ones who didn’t want anyone. Especially the ones who didn’t want anyone around them.
    Maya Angelou said it best: “Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.” Which is what we all can do.
    Beautifully penned, Ms Susannah.

8. Eilene Lyon says:

Wish I had some pie so I could curl up with it and a good book. 😋

Lovely thoughts and good words to live by. You always inspire me, you sweet thing.

9. Ross deMarco says:

The world has become so fractious ( guilty at times ) I try Leaving others better than I find them . People can disappoint, even friends can let you down at times . I have my own private places where I can go , prayer, scriptures . I recognize my own shortcomings , but as Sinatra sang I pick myself up and get back in the race . A hot bowl of Pastina always helps me too !

10. Ross de Marco says:

A comfort food for me . Brings me way back to a simpler time .

11. Great thoughts, Susannah. I like the line Recycle your pain. That’s what writers have to do since all experiences are grist for the creative mill. As I say, the worse or crazier a situation is, the better story it will make.

12. All good things and great ideas. I also have a deep-seated belief that it is all perfect, so, no matter what is transpiring, I try my very best to look at it, as it is, and say, “Thank you!” to God. It all works out.
    Scott