Perseverance, a Persistent Word.

Perseverance is a noun, meaning, to do something despite delay in reaching a personal goal.

Tenacity, diligence, dedication…to be relentless and single-minded…having determination and staying power.

It reminds me of a friend’s email address…dedicated always.

To have tunnel vision regardless of obstacles tossed in your path.

A word that rings true to me, since I have it in spades, inherited from my mother’s side of the family who exuded commitment.

A trait I’ve never thought a lot about till recently, due to my many sudden challenges.

It’s not easy to keep going, no matter what…to have focus and vigilance. I remember watching my mother soldier on after burying both her parents she never left, even after marrying my father, since they shared our two-family house.

She’d cry, mop the floor, stuff a chicken, then cry some more.

I too sob in motion.

At my worst moment I’m paying a bill, doing my nails or putting laundry away (or writing an essay), tears, coming along for the ride.

It doesn’t matter what’s put in front of you if you’re blessed with perseverance, the steam you need to keep chugging along.

To be uncompromising, unstoppable, continuous no matter what, is a pretty fine quality to work towards.

To quote Winston Churchill…if you’re going through hell, keep going.

A thin girl’s two cents.

This entry was posted in internet, media, words, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Perseverance, a Persistent Word.

1. I have commitment and some perseverance; however, my is not the everlasting kind. I will chug on and on, working and trying, then, at some point, I may just decide – To Heck with it. Then I move on and try hard not to regret my decision. It has gotten me through many problems in life and I don’t find myself regretting many of them now. I do admire your tenacity.
    Scott

Dearest Perseverant Thin Girl,

It’s a good word. It’s a positive word. You are blessed to have it as part of your DNA.
    Somehow over the years, I have been assigned the word “resilience”: the capacity to recover quickly from difficulties; toughness
    I was feeling the two were similar yet not, so of course, I’ve spent the last little while with my friend Google and found this:
    Resilience is defined as “An ability to recover from or adjust easily to misfortune or change” and Perseverance is defined as “The continued effort to do or achieve something despite difficulties, failure, or opposition.”
    I guess both are good to have, eh?
    Have a fabulous day,

Lotsa love,
    The Resilient Broad

3. robprice59 says:

Tenacity is great, so long as you’re on the right road. You have to drift in the breeze, before you set your sails. None of us has a map for life. None of us can see past the horizon.

Susannah, I like the word persistence but gravitate toward tenacity. Although practically identical, tenacity creates a picture in my mind of fighting against the odds, while persistence is the little engine that could. Funny how two similar words conjure up different images within each of us.

SB,

You’ve got a way of stitching thoughts together that speaks to this perseverance of yours. Good writing submerges a writer’s mind into the story they wish to tell, but great writing submerges the reader’s mind into that very same story. You achieve the latter, beautifully.

6. Ross de Marco says:

There are many areas where I find that word applicable when I was a young boy I should was getting up early in the morning delivering my newspapers always finding something to do . Through teenage years Working various jobs palisades amusement park , warehouses , mopping the floors in the local diner . The ability to have the freedom to work meant a lot to me add always trying to do the best job I could that was perseverance to me . I find it sadly lacking in the world today I coming to contact with so many people that don’t want to work don’t like to work and don’t know their jobs they faint , throw in the towel. And it carries over into other areas of their lives bigger commitment bigger responsibilities. If I feel I do a half assed job if I feel like I let my family down it’s torturous me in my head the worst times in my life where when work ws scarce and those are times where I had to persevere on faith . Thank God that he perseveres In his faithfulness and goodness

• Last night I took a walk after dark
      A swingin’ place called Palisades Park
      To have some fun and see what I could see
      That’s where the girls are
      I took a ride on a shoot the chute
      That girl I sat beside was awful cute
      And after while she was holdin’ hands with me
      My heart was flyin’ up like a rocket ship
      Down like a roller coaster
      Back like a loop the loop
      And around like a merry go round
      We ate and ate at a hot dog stand
      We danced around to a rockin’ band
      And when I could, I gave that girl a hug
      In the tunnel of love
      You’ll never know how great a kiss can feel
      When you stop at the top of a ferris wheel
      When I fell in love down at Palisades Park
      We ate and ate at a hot dog stand
      We… 🙂

7. Ross de Marco says:

Sorry if that came out a little mangled I was typing while sitting on a moving truck

Worth more then two cents!😸

9. Persistence is one of the most important traits to have for success, I think, more than talent. I would say the best things to have are compassion, wisdom and persistence, all of which I think you have a lot of. 🙂
    your friend