Best Story of the Week…April 11; The Chivalrous Dad

Have you ever seen the film, Love in the Afternoon with Audrey Hepburn and Gary Cooper? Unknown.jpeg It’s where I got my blog name from…Athingirl.  It’s what Mr. Flannagan calls Ariane, who plays the cello, while Maurice Chevalier as her dad, often carries it for her.

This morning as I was heading home from my run, I see a young girl, 9 or 10, with her very dashing dad, dressed in a navy pinstriped suit, beside her, carrying a huge case on his back.

Imagine a giant guitar swaddled in black.

They join me at the corner, waiting for the light to change, so I ask if indeed he was carrying a cello.

Before he could answer, the young lady, in her perfectly pressed school uniform with matching diction says, “Yes, dad always carries my cello for me, since it’s much heavier than my books.”

I say, “What a nice dad you have,” who’s saying nothing, but now has little beads of perspiration appearing on his paternal brow.

Then she says, “Mom says, she hopes I find a husband as nice as dad.”

Dad finally smiles, as the light, finally changed.

This entry was posted in Culture, Family, Fashion, humor, Love, media, New York City, words and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Best Story of the Week…April 11; The Chivalrous Dad

Isn’t that a good sign of a happy and healthy family dynamic?

And when a little girl wants a man who is like Daddy, it shows he treated her right as she was growing up, carrying her cello, driving her to practice, teaching her to drive…

And when Mom wishes such a man for her daughter? Well, that’s just more than peachy-keen…

2. Vasca says:

Such a sweet story, Susannah. I love it…picturing this dad so well dressed w/his little darling girl along side. Carrying her cello…what a fine dad he is and her mom is right on target. I hope she finds a nice one, too. Aah, the age of chivalry is alive…and hopefully thriving. Sweetness, love it. Reminds me of my husband and our four sons…they do such things regularly. Love ’em.

Chivalry is mostly extinct, but for a few pockets here and there. You found one! You really should report it to the NY Academy of Sciences. They probably keep tabs on this stuff. 🙂

4. Eilene Lyon says:

That’s such a sweet story. I noticed she knew she had to carry part of the load herself, not just being catered to. Seems like mom and dad are doing a great job altogether.

5. robprice59 says:

Are middle class women only useful as wives and performers? Methinks mediaeval mores abound. I thought we’d moved on.

It’s so refreshing to find a young person who isn’t a snot, who doesn’t consider her father to be merely a pack animal. I love that she piped up and politely answered you.
    I love the old movies. Interestingly, it’s my oldest son (32) that has always liked them too.

• That’s a great film Cooper didn’t initially want to be in, said he was much too old to play opposite her, in her early 20s. And he was right, except it worked for his character who was very naughty in all areas. She was so, so pretty in it. sigh.

As for polite little girls, let’s hope she grows into a polite big girl, which would certainly be music, from a cello or otherwise, to one’s ears. Have a lovely weekend Skinny.

🙂

7. I don’t understand if it was nervous sweat. The girl had already stated he was married. Perhaps, it was simply the weight of the cello.
    Scott

Definitely meant to be story of the week. What a lucky little girl.

9. Sounds like they’re raising a pretty articulate girl too. 🙂 I’ll bet the dad is willing to help out, even if he wishes she had gone with the flute.