Groundbreaking News…There’s A Sale On Nuts At Fairway

What happened to the days when groundbreaking news was truly groundbreaking, like when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor or, the President’s been shot.

I must get 30 of these a day attempting to make me stop in my tracks to pay rapt attention to mindless minutiae. No offense to Donald Trump, alright, maybe just a little, but I don’t care about his latest Tweet. President Bartlett of The West Wing in reruns is more apt to grab my attention.

And if one more naughty executive gets axed during lunch I’m turning in my turkey club for a martini. Who’s next, Lassie? Some Poodle any minute through her lawyer will be suing saying her tail was inappropriately pulled. No, I’m not making light of bad behavior, alright maybe just a little, but life is short, and the media is making me wish it was even shorter.

Could we be just a little bit more selective?

Every once in a while, you’ll hear something good, but never called groundbreaking, like that lost little girl they found asleep in a cornfield with her Yorkie called, Fat Heath, guarding her like a furry Navy Seal. That was next to an ad on mattresses on sale at Sleep EZ.  I think we need to reassess what’s considered groundbreaking.

That’s not to say, I won’t be going to Fairway to take advantage of those cheap nuts since nuts, all the way around, clearly can be groundbreaking, if you’re a nut on a budget that is.

So many essays, so little time.  images.jpeg

This entry was posted in animals, humanity, humor, internet, media, New York City, Politics, words, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Groundbreaking News…There’s A Sale On Nuts At Fairway

They try anything and everything to get our attention. I hate to say it, but as a whole, we are getting desensitized to so much sensationalism.
    I’m really looking forward to down-sizing in a few years and leading a simpler life.

I am so with you on what is shared via media. The news just feels like one slur away from a full cup. Must be why I no longer watch it and only get it by snippets in my car if I’m in the car on the hour. Of course I get a little here and there on the Internets but frankly, I’ll take Sorryless’ weekly headlines over anything else 😉

SB,

If everything is “Breaking News”, before too long nothing is breaking news. When did news become a race? A pageant? A trivial pursuit? Because you’re spot on, we need to be more selective with our news diets. And that’s an indictment on the news delivery side of things.

There was a time, long before now, when if the news broke into regularly scheduled programming, it meant some important shit had just gone down. Not any longer.

It is, in fact, a nut sale.

Well said, Miss 2 Cents.

4. Eilene Lyon says:

When we get President Bartlett for real, that will be worthy of a news flash, indeed. As long as Twit’s in the White House, fasting from news isn’t a bad idea.

5. I feel I’ve done my part. We gave up the delivery of the daily newspaper. Also, we never got in the habit of watching news on TV after we moved. John still listens to New York radio stations via the internet, so every morning I ask him if there is anything I need to know. I like my news filtered!

• I love…I like my news filtered, like drinking water. I also feel it’s better for one’s peace of mind, since it can scare the wits out of you. I want to hear and read good things. I’m actually in the midst of a great new book by food writer, Ruth Reichi called, Save Me the Plums, about her years at Gourmet Magazine. It’s a short, sweet read that I will warn, will no doubt, make you hungry. The hell with the news. Bring on those recipes. 🙂

• I like good news, too. I should see if our library has any of Ruth Reichl’s books. I was reading the Times when she was a food critic there, and I always enjoyed her writing. Thanks for the tip.

• She’s a great writer. Tender At The Bone, Comfort Me With Apples, Garlic and Sapphires. I’d think you’d like her, and yes, your library should have them all. Your Friendly Librarian

6. That’s the problem with having news 24 hours a day, they keep sensationalizing things to get people to watch but then when something actually groundbreaking happens, they’ve run out of an appropriate level of language to use for it.

7. Ross de Marco says:

The only true groundbreaking news for me will be when they dig my grave ! 😮

8. Ross de Marco says:

Oh yeah , God we are dating ourselves – Shecky !