Legs, Breasts and Thighs

No, we’re not about to discuss chickens.

I’ve just made one of my casual observations.

Women, who only think about their weight.

I was stretching after my run when I overheard a conversation a girl in her 30s was having on her cell that went something like this:

I knew I shouldn’t have had the veal. I asked for no salt, but my thighs, I swear are twice their size. And my stomach Connie, is so bloated. What am I gonna do? I have a gym date with Rick after work.

Wished I could have heard what Connie had to say.

Ya think if I starve myself all day, my stomach and thighs will go back to normal? Okay. Just coffee. Can I have coffee?

By the look on her face, I gather Connie said, no coffee.

No, I didn’t weigh in, no pun intended, but did wonder, who the hell made Connie Juan Veldez.

It was then I noticed all the fatties stuffed in Spandex thinking their dessert is concealed. Congealed is more like it since Spandex leaves inroads on your body making you resemble a Road Atlas. Cleavage of course is running amok, proving there’s always an upside, and then some, to everything.

When did we start dating our bodies? Okay, I’m thin, however, it’s not as though my bod is perfect. Think Olive Oyl, just with better posture.

It made me feel for that woman who was regretting her veal. Frankly, she probably had no idea she had just munched on a baby calf. That might have changed her outlook since, she at least, tummy and all, was still on the planet.

It’s our culture. It’s Vogue and Buzzfeed, Oprah and The View.

Oprah has been on a diet for forty years, gaining, losing, so her self-absorption having such influence, is catchy.

This brings me to the stick figures of Vogue who now all look like little boys…no chests, legs the length of string beans braying…don’t eat, if you want to look like me.

No wonder eating disorders have gone Platinum.

If I knew where to find Connie’s friend, I’d tell her, honey, don’t believe everything ya hear. It’s really okay, to have that cuppa coffee.  images.png

This entry was posted in animals, Beauty, Culture, Fashion, food, humanity, humor, internet, New York City, women and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Legs, Breasts and Thighs

Susannah, I confess I’m body conscious too. Last Fall I was exactly where I wanted to be weight-wise, now I’m still about 6 pounds heavier. Those 6 pounds feel like 50 to me. I was recuperating from surgery and limited in what I could or couldn’t do. I’ll be back to where I want soon, but to say I’m self-conscious is an understatement.
    I don’t talk about it because everyone always compliments my figure. In addition to not being sympathetic I worry that they might take offense.

2. robprice59 says:

Obesity is a design fault. The design says “hunter/gatherer” but the application says “hedonism”. Diet is not a viable answer.

3. aFrankAngle says:

You’re right … Olive Oyl had lousy posture.

To think I used to be called Olive Oyl… sigh.
    Now I’m more along the lines of voluptuous (sounds so much better than regular, right?)
    I like to think the day we stop focusing on our weight all the time and start treating our bodies as the temples they are by feeding them good, clean food and exercising and resting, rather than how many calories of what type we consumed whilst sitting on our duffs, we’ll end up in healthier places.

• I love the line…exercising and resting. See, they walk hand in hand. People feel guilty when they take 5. Not me, but many. And voluptuous is good. Wish I could own it. Sigh. I been called such flattering names as, a Number 2 Pencil, a Q-Tip and an ironing board. It’s okay. My humor can take it. 🙂

5. I laughed that you have been called Olive Oyl. Surely she is the epitome of “born ugly”. I didn’t see you when you were born, but I admire your character that shines from the inside. Thank heavens people don’t usually call me names, because I wouldn’t like a single one.

SB,

I do believe there is a common ground shared by men and women when it comes to our body shaping fascination. Health.

Once upon a time, I ran and worked out because I liked looking good. There was incentive in being able to get that look from a woman. And then health problems happened, and now I run and work out because I don’t want any more health problems. Perspective is tough like that.

She should have that cup of coffee and a danish to go along with it. Do the salads and exercise for the health advantages it gifts . . and to hell with what Rick thinks.

7. From my spiritual beliefs of LofA, I would tell both of them that what you concentrate on the most is what your subconscious tends (Strongly) to bring into your life. You constantly think about diet and gaining weight or looking that way and voila…you will Always Have to Diet and will still not get skinny or got nuts trying to stay that way. I don’t think about weight much anymore. I concentrate of just doing what doc says for my diabetes…Result? Sugar is okay, weight has changed about 2/10 of a lb in 3 months.

8. Eilene Lyon says:

Oh for a world without mirrors and fashion magazines! And chasing our own food. 😮

9. I tried for ages to lose weight, although I didn’t change my habits now. Now that I’ve given up soda, cut way down on unhealthy snacks and exercise a lot more, I’m finally seeing results. Hopefully I can form habits now for when I don’t have as much time on my hands. It’s a super hard thing, though, to be healthy and content, probably even more so for women.

• You’re a young, handsome fella. As for soda, it can clean silver, did you know that? It should be taken off the market, but then again no one ever asks me for my nutritional advice. Wonder why. Thanks as always.