Favorite Quotes

Quotes are meant to inspire, encourage and make us smile.

Whenever one winks, I jot it down.

Writing:

You don’t write because you want to say something, you write because you have something to say. F. Scott Fitzgerald

Tell the truth, but tell it slant…Emily Dickinson

Writing is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way…E. L. Doctorow

Almost all good writing begins with terrible first efforts. You need to start somewhere…Anne Lamott

My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way…Ernest Hemingway

Take your broken heart, make it into art…Carrie Fisher

Everything’s copy…Nora Ephron

Motivation:

Do what you love, and the Maserati will follow…Marianne Williams

Be so good they can’t ignore you…Steve Martin

Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you…Anne Lamott

Follow your bliss…Joseph Campbellย

Loss:

When you’re going through hell, keep going…Winston Churchill

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone.
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come. Funeral Blues…W.H.Auden

Light a candle, and keep on dancin’…Allen Ginsberg

I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel...Maya Angelou

Remember, it’s just a ride…Bill Hicks

Hope:

Be the change you want to see…Mahatma Gandhi

You never can pay too much for peace of mind…Patti Smith

I do not understand the mystery of grace โ€” only that it meets us where we are and does not leave us where it found usAnne Lamott

The opposite of faith isn’t doubt, it’s certainty…Paul Tillich

Don’t give up before the miracle…The Big Book, Alcoholics Anonymous

It’s in the giving, that we receive…St. Francis of Assisi

Love:

Love is like a virus. It can happen to anybody at any time…Maya Angelou

Two souls with but a single thought. Two hearts that beat as one…John Keats

In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love…Mother Teresa

When all is said and done, we’re just walking each other home…Ram Dass

I don’t know about you, but I smiled, just a little.ย  ๐Ÿ™‚

This entry was posted in grace, humanity, inspiration, Love, readng, words, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

66 Responses to Favorite Quotes

1. Many good ones ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ‘

2. robprice59 says:

Great words Susannah. I will add one, rather more general, but pertinent to writers nonetheless: “Even a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step” – Laozi.

3. leegschrift says:

When all we have is quotes, who listens to the stars when the light is out and life is dark.

4. aFrankAngle says:

A wonderful collection and we know there are many more. Here’s one of my favorites: Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

5. WriterX says:

wowwwww !!!!!!!!!!

6. WriterX says:

follow my blog @https://writer0910.wordpress.com

Liked by 2 people

Susannah, I enjoy hearing a good quote too. The Reader’s Digest has quotes by famous stars of today. I often wonder if the stars ever really said them, or if their underlings came up with it.
    By the way, the quote by Ram Dass is the one I’ve picked for my grave stone.

• I remember you saying that. It’s a favorite of mine, and Anne Lamott’s. She’s the one who turned me on to it. Such a lovely image. Your headstone, well in your future, will no doubt turn heads Madam Skinny. ๐Ÿ™‚

My personal favorites out of this list (And I’m noting ONLY the ones I wasn’t familiar with before now) are . .

E.L. Doctorow’s quote on headlights and writing.
    Lamott’s quote on grace.
    The Dass quote on walking each other home.

And of course . . Bill. Letting us know it’s just a ride, babah.

Excellent list, Susannah. Maya Angelou was a seemingly endless fount of brilliant quotes, and I’ll add but one of (my many) favourites:
    “Do your best you can until you know better. Then, when you know better, do better.”

10. Eilene Lyon says:

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. – Yoda

11. I always smile when I read your posts, even when you are simply quoting others.

12. joanneolson says:

Thank you Susannah for sharing your favorite quotes. I especially like the Emily Dickinson reference and have read and reread the entire poem. ย Thank you.

13. Yes, and love Marianne Williamson’s quotes and thoughts.

14. Akanksha says:

Quotes do quote the expressions and essence beautifully and meaningfully