A Boy and His Dog

He’s a year old if he’s a day, just starting to toddle, careening down a hill in Central Park like a little car without breaks.

Mom is behind him, smiling, her honey blonde hair waltzing in the breeze, while an elderly white Lab nobly stands watch.

He walks slower these days, this 4-legged member of the family, arthritis assaulting his hips, like any long time nanny or granny… Nana in Peter Pan.

But he can still tender his charge like a tiny ship, making sure as he tumbles a familiar face is always there to greet him.

I watch this mini episode of a present day Lassie, my heart strings pulled, knowing, the little boy’s first loss, will be the first friend he ever made.

This entry was posted in animals, Family, friendship, grace, inspiration, kids, nature, New York City and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

60 Responses to A Boy and His Dog

So tenderly and lovingly done, Susannah.
    Ironically, we had to put down our old cat on Saturday. My son was two when we got him so, needless to say, it was a sad day.

Liked by 3 people

Susannah, I just watched ‘A Dog’s Purpose’ for the third time. Whoever wrote this must have been a dog in a previous life. If you ever view it, make sure you have a big box of tissues. It is one of the best movies I’ve ever seen. The first time I saw it, about four months ago, we had just lost our Sam to old age.
    Your blog could have been a scene in the movie.

Liked by 4 people

3. aFrankAngle says:

Putting down of pets is incredibly difficult. As for the little guy in this post, a new pet will replace his loss so a new bond will form – but when the time comes, that loss will be much more difficult.

Liked by 2 people

4. robprice59 says:

I won’t let Maeve read this piece. Molly has been gone for fifteen years, yet we still have regular tears. 😦

Liked by 3 people

5. Eilene Lyon says:

Pets really are my family. Each loss is a scar on my heart. I love your descriptive language in this piece as much as the story and sentiment.

Liked by 3 people

Lucky kid. Sweet story.

Liked by 3 people

7. That was so poignant.

Liked by 3 people

SB,

Kids are the one part of the domesticated pets equation that isn’t in on the realities of having these furry members of the family. When we as adults bring a puppy or a kitten home, we understand there will one day be another side. Of course, we don’t dwell on it, but the realization is there. Whereas kids just know this friend is a part of their world. Until they’re not.

Lovely and poignant piece.

Liked by 3 people

9. Vasca Beall says:

This sweet story reminds me of our little dachshund, Charlie Brown. He was my ‘protector’ the year my husband was stationed in Africa. One day, a fellow officer who happened to be in town, called asking if he could drop in to say ‘Hello’ and I assured him it was. The doorbell rang and I opened up. He was there but no car was in sight. Hmm. We had a loveseat in our den so that’s where I sat…he moved to sit beside me and who should appear but Charlie. He jumped to sit beside me, growled at my visitor. He got the same idea as I did. That guy had the hotsies and Charlie knew. The rat left quickly and Charlie stayed with me all day…on guard, my little hero was on the job. Oh those wonderful pets…our everythings. Love them. Later, he was killed by some dogs he thought he was the alpha male, RIP Charlie, you were awesome.

Liked by 3 people

10. For companionship, affection and food (not necessarily in that order), we will always be loyal, faithful and true. We seek only to be friends and we will look out for our human parents. I think the phrase is “We are here for part of your life, but you are here for all of our lives”.

Liked by 2 people

11. That’s so sweet and I loved the way you set the scene. So great.

Liked by 2 people