The Rich Are Different

When F. Scott Fitzgerald said…the rich are different from you and me, he wasn’t kidding, seeming to occupy a different planet than the rest of us. images-1.jpeg

Who are the rest of us? We the people who live nicely though modestly, appreciating all we have.

There’s also a smattering of smugness, as if we should all be entering through a backdoor.

I can only speak for myself, but I do better with less, realizing my needs are met pretty simply. Little things are what I bask in…a long, sudsy bubble bath, soft PJs to slip into, a silo of Skinny Pop next to a book on the nightstand.

The other thing that always surprises me is how miserable wealthy people seem to be. The more they have the more anxious they appear, retaliating by taking it out on you.

I recently did some work for a woman who seemed bothered I was content with my single lifestyle.

“Are you gay?” she asked, rather inappropriately, just because my hair is short and my goal in life isn’t lassoing a man for financial gain.

I tried, one not to hit her, and two, to explain that all my relationships were organic in the sense where, if I met someone that turned my head and I theirs, we went from there without asking for our mutual tax statements.

It’s actually how I conduct everything. I don’t even buy food until I’m hungry since I won’t know what I’ll want. Better eat that chicken before it goes bad when I really want eggs, doesn’t appeal to me, life’s short after all, but I’m digressing.

This woman is also on 20 different medications, has trouble with her array of employees who work in her three homes, and is cheap on top of it.

That’s the part that leaves me bewildered. They have so much yet penny-pinch as if they have nothing.

Me? If I have a dime and you’re broke, I’ll happily give you a nickel. If I have more money than you, I’ll buy lunch. Receiving is in the giving, so that miserly streak is as foreign to me as Arabic.

If having money means having no soul, I think I’ll stay a Franciscan thank you very much, living in grace amid bubbles and snacks, adhering to the law of the jungle, to remain calm, sharing my bananas.Β  images.jpeg πŸ™‚

This entry was posted in Books, Culture, Gratitude, humanity, humor, money, New York City, readng, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to The Rich Are Different

Susannah, I’ve noticed that often, if the wealthy came from humble beginnings, they are more grounded. But not always. I have a cousin who made his money the hard way. He owns hotels, a large waterslide park, restaurants, etc. When I brought my four young children to his park (we paid the full entrance fee) he came out of his office and greeted us. That’s it. Not even a free ice cream cone or floaty tube.
    Maybe once the money is gathered they are afraid all the peons are waiting to grab a piece. Who knows? I agree with you, it’s far more rewarding to share.

• OMIGOD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING? SHAME ON HIM. It’s mystifying to me. To give to anyone, whether it’s something big or small, is the best feeling in the world. It’s how God intended it to be.

I work in a private golf club filled with millionaire members and they are the cheapest SOBs I’ve ever seen. If a member wants to give you an extra tip (a rarity because they have a bar bill and pay monthly with a 13% tip added – of which we get 11%) they will fold the bill and shake your hand to slip it to you like it’s a friggen drug deal…

I’ve always noticed the most generous are the poorest because they understand. I would have thought that a self-made rich peep would remember but, apparently, this is not always the case as stated above by Skinny…

You just keep being you.

Liked by 2 people

• It’s gone viral. That woman I spoke of who as I’m leaving had to ask to please pay me. Oh, I thought next time we’d settle up. No,m let’s settle up now. So she waves a 100 dollar bill in front of me and say, “Do you have change?” Like I’m the fucking bank. OY

• Dale says:

Gah! I loathe having to ask to be paid. What the hell is up with that?
        What a bitch. Fucks sakes… You know you have to pay for whatever it is you are paying for. Make sure you have the appropriate amount of money.
        That just burns my ass.

• Then she says, I’ll give this to you, but drop the change off with my doorman. AYE. I was so pissed, I marched to the corner to a grocery store, changed the fucking bill, and left it. Didn’t want to think about her all Memorial Day weekend. I had one more day to work with her, and at the last minute she canceled and said…I’ve found someone else. I was upset but the good news is, I see now, it was a blessing. She would have kicked my ass. Life’s too short to have someone like her in your life, money or no money. sigh

SB,

The rich (most of them anyway) bide their time thinking A) about how to hold onto their money, B) about how to make more money, and my personal favorite C) about how they’re going to blow their money since they didn’t earn it.

The first two, A and B are miserable because there is no joy in what they do.

And yes, people do love to mind other people’s business. Being single is a choice, not a definition.

4. aFrankAngle says:

Cheers to soul with a wit.

5. robprice59 says:

None of them got rich through giving it away.
    Oxfam tell us that just eight people own half the world’s wealth. I find this statistic utterly staggering. If it’s true, I hope it makes them desperately miserable.

• I never get it either, the not sharing your bananas part. It’s how I feel about doctors too. If I were a gifted heart surgeon for instance, I’d be offering that gift to save people who didn’t have the means. My Pollyanna is in full swing on the mysteries of the rich.

• robprice59 says:

The mysteries of the rich indeed! Some of them claim to be Christians. So when Jesus tells them it’s easier to get a camel (or a cable) through the eye of needle than a rich man into heaven, do they:
        1. not want to go to heaven or
        2. think they’re exempt or
        3. think Jesus was lying?

• They skipped over that part. πŸ™‚

6. Vasca Beall says:

I have a wealthy sister and brother-in-law who are the most wonderful couple and talk about generous? They give and give. I love giving and so did my husband.It’s always a joy to give…so me says! It does special things to my heart. Shame on that person you worked with…evil eye is on her so she’d best change her ways before they fire her up. Your piece put this quote by John Wesley in mind: “Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.” Doing good is good. Yes!

• I so love this quote, thanks so much.

• Vasca Beall says:

Susannah, I failed to mention my sister & hub made their money with hard work and they appreciate it. Not a snobbish bone in their bodies. I learned early-on there’s no way I can outgive God…impossible. Keep it up…there are legions of do-gooders all over the place!

7. You are wiser than most folks, Susannah. I pinch pennies all the time, but I hope I’m not stingy with my blessings.

8. I think it’s a different mindset or a different way to look at the world. I think if you or I got a billion dollars tomorrow, we wouldn’t fundamentally change. Of course, if I got that much, I’d try to get rid of most of it right away since I would be afraid it would change me.

9. Again, I will go back to wishing you had been around when I was growing up, but then again, I think that I am more ready for that type of lifestyle now. The stroke sent me on my “Blessed” way (literally) and I no long worry about monies and things financial (or physical) much anymore. My deep belief in the ways of Neale Donald Walsh and Pam Grout assure me of feeling happy and content most of the time and having a nurse tell me how wonderful it had been to have me in the hospital the night I was so very close to vomiting and other most of the night and they were so very busy was simply music to my ears. I love living and life and can manifest what I truly need and/or want. What more is there?

10. heatherjo86 says:

I completely agree! A modest life, having everything you need and some of what you want, is just right. I live in a city where several billionaires reside. Their names are plastered at the top of buildings throughout the city. I met one of them and he seem to be the most miserable man I’d ever met. I try to keep in mind 1 Timothy 6:9,10 which says, β€œBut those who are determined to be rich fall into temptation and a snare and many senseless and harmful desires that plunge men into destruction and ruin. For the love of money is a root of all sorts of injurious things, and by reaching out for this love some have been led astray from the faith and have stabbed themselves all over with many pains.” A modest life still can be stressful but it’s a lot less stressful than being rich. Thanks for this reminder.